• Current Donation Goals

Just now, Michael Tucker said:

Panto.

Behind you....

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Are we? How do you work that out, Rod?

We haven't yet given up on Sandro, are we? With the energy we have invested in chasing him for over a year now we could have got a couple of creative midfielders. 

18 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

We haven't yet given up on Sandro, are we?

I don't know tbh, but I wouldn't call wanting a left-sided  back up wing back being 'obsessed' with buying more defenders. It would seem like they're doing what pretty much everyone on here wants them to do. 

With the energy we have invested in chasing him for over a year now we could have got a couple of creative midfielders. 

It's not like we haven't looked at alternatives, is it? And that's what we appear to be doing right now, isn't it? 

BlueWill   
18 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Two reasons imo (of course, this applies if you believe the reports that we actually are).

One being that they've been the more obtainable players overall. The second being that having a strong defence that is difficult to break down gives us a better chance of claiming points when our offence is as useless as it is. At the moment, if our offence doesn't deliver there is added pressure on the defence to keep a clean sheet to keep us in the game. One mistake and it can be costly. If our offence was actually reliable and clinical, then the defence has more margin for error without it being costly

Someone like a Nainggolan or Vidal would have provided a good immediate solution for Fabregas. It's still an area that needs addressing, as does the rest of our gaps in attack, and that's going to require the club to open it's wallet because the likes of Fabregas, Pedro and Willian aren't going to improve nor are getting younger. Something is going to have to give eventually. 

Not knocking you, but that is the mentality of an underdog and as we're usually faced with 10 behind the ball so complying with that strategy is not too smart for most games.

Fully agree with your frustations at how slowly we attack plus your dissatisfaction(s) with Pedro & Willian. The former gets worse with every game and apart from the odd decent show has been hugely dissapointing since his arrival; playing him at WB is just to embarass the board - can't tackle & runs out of steam long before reaching the final third, mentality seems lametable too. Willian seems stale, devoid of ideas and looking good against the poor or mediocre is nothing to brag about.

I cannot begin to see why we knock it short and back/square deep in our own half cause all we do is allow the oppo as much time as they need to reform their shape, making things tougher for us when & if we finally get the ball near their box. Honestly, even Zouma might manage to look less uncomfortable on the ball in this set up.

Shouldn't forget that L'Arse had two masssive pieces of luck for each of their goals but they seem able to beat us at will these days.

Blue Rod   
On 26/01/2018 at 1:30 AM, Michael Tucker said:

I don't know tbh, but I wouldn't call wanting a left-sided  back up wing back being 'obsessed' with buying more defenders. It would seem like they're doing what pretty much everyone on here wants them to do. 

It's not like we haven't looked at alternatives, is it? And that's what we appear to be doing right now, isn't it? 

Oh well. I get this transition feeling again. Everybody believes Conte is leaving this summer. The club wants someone who can create wine from water. Conte is not that coach, not at this stage of his managerial career. He wants top players ready to win trophies so he can build up his profile. The club has this little worry of finding £1bn to finance the redevelopment of SB without further eating into the pulse of RA. And so, everything at the club is happening in that context. Conte seems totally oblivious to this, bless him. 

How the Qataris would love to spend a £100bn to acquire a club in the heart of the West End of London. My heart with Roman Abramovich when it comes to ownership. So I would rather grind and bear than see a Qatari takeover. Not that I have anything against the middle easterners.  That means, our next manager will almost certainly be a battle-hardened grandfather who can nurture kids into men. Who knows, our academy might eventually live up to what it was set up for. 

Edited by Blue Rod

GURJ SS   
On 25/01/2018 at 9:29 AM, Droy was my hero said:

This. WBs that play like FBs. 

It's because surely professional footballers know the role. Perhaps:

• Alonso is just.knackered
  • Moses has lost confidence of ever beating the oppo FB
  • Conte is playing low energy football to last the season (which deserves some respect)
  • Conte/Club are using cheaper players rather than filling the team with hardworking AMs like Man City. 
  • Conte is just getting more and more negative. Luis forOscar, Baka for Willian and now FBs for WBs

Not so sure as Gurj that Kenedy has made up for a lot of unimpressive games with one better game. But I agree he is more reliable backup than the other marginals. And FB in a five is a much easier position to carry a weaker player.  We have carried Moses for 16 months. 

Alonso is knackered. Moses just isn't good enough. Conte is playing low energy football because his squad is too small, but it was his choice to send so many players out on loan. The quality of players coming to our club is definitely lower. We have definitely gone more negative, but that may be due to the low energy football.

I've not judged Kenedy for the past year or so because of him being played so far out of position, but he seemed to get better and better in recent games and if we bring in Emerson Palmeri then we've just gone like for like but with more experience; which Kenedy could also have if Conte has been more braver and rotated the squad more, if he didn't trust Kenedy then he should have replaced him a long time ago so the blame falls on Conte. 

Thanks to Ryanair, just catching up with this.

Generally - We pressed H1 and looked good.  Arsenal pressed both halves and looked good.  Despite our reputation, we remain a poor defensive team under pressure and a great team when pushing forward (Arsenal are similar).  Goals for and against in recent seasons are more than enough evidence.

Last season we dropped an AM for an extra CB and conceded the 4th highest amount of goals post RA, while scoring the 2nd highest.

We continue to play defensive football with brilliant attacking players, and not very effective defenders.

Bakayoko.  People had said he had improved - but not for me.  Not till this game where he really was quite good - much as he was subbing for Kante early season.  But Note - He was playing behind Kante for the first time.  None of this Willian role where he is completely lost.  Kante was either besides or in front of him the whole game.  He knew what his role was, and the game was mostly in front of him.

Barkley.  Of course this was his first match all season, so plenty of caution applies to comments.  Still, he seemed almost as clueless as Baka on how to play the Willian/Pedro role, behind 2 attackers, in front of 2 CMs.  A big reminder of just how bloody good Willian and Pedro are - and they score/assist at a fantastic rate when starting behind a CF and Hazard, and incredibly it is the same rate when they only come on as subs!!