• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Newcastle United 0

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

In hindsight Man U would now have opted to play the lad, because when he went to Juve...

In hindsight I think that SAF would say that winning the PL title in 2007, 08, 09, 11 & 13 (and being second in the 2 other years) was far more important than making room for Paul Pogba, who was after all still only 19 when he left in 2012.

I'm much more in tune with your remarks on Chalobah, who left at 22, at a moment where he really was ready to make a difference to the club. 

Christensen is different.  As a few people have said from early on, and I have only recently caught up with, he really is a special player, who was going to break through.  But lets credit the club for setting up a really effective 2 year loan for him at 19.  We won the PL the season before he left, and again in his second season away.  He developed but we didn't lose him and integrated him at 21.  Excellent management by the club (though sometimes the decisions only work out if the player turns out to be as good as hoped for).  

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

I'm not saying let's go all Athletic Bilbao but it's frustrating to see a player like Chalobah leave and not even get an upgrade, Baka and DD have given nothing to indicate that more experience worked out better for us but we've loat approx £65M?.

I think Drinkwater is already showing the value of PL experience, while Baka is showing how misleading form in noddy leagues can be.

GURJ SS   
On 30/01/2018 at 4:38 PM, Droy was my hero said:

In hindsight I think that SAF would say that winning the PL title in 2007, 08, 09, 11 & 13 (and being second in the 2 other years) was far more important than making room for Paul Pogba, who was after all still only 19 when he left in 2012.

I'm much more in tune with your remarks on Chalobah, who left at 22, at a moment where he really was ready to make a difference to the club. 

Christensen is different.  As a few people have said from early on, and I have only recently caught up with, he really is a special player, who was going to break through.  But lets credit the club for setting up a really effective 2 year loan for him at 19.  We won the PL the season before he left, and again in his second season away.  He developed but we didn't lose him and integrated him at 21.  Excellent management by the club (though sometimes the decisions only work out if the player turns out to be as good as hoped for).  

I think Drinkwater is already showing the value of PL experience, while Baka is showing how misleading form in noddy leagues can be.

Thing is they'd have still won it, I think managers too often play it way too safe, if you're winning 2-0 and you end up drawing or losing solely because of a 19 year old(with great potential), then he shouldn't be in your squad in the first place; if they're in your squad then you trust them enough to play them. If they're there to just pretend you have enough numbers, then the manager and board etc aren't doing their jobs properly.

Christensen's quality had stood out before his loan, but I'd put Ampadu ahead of him at what he was at 17. We have a player who looks as calm as a senior player on the ball and is positionally sensible, and I don't think Baka or DD have shown enough to say we shouldn't look to get someone in for what could be the next 15 years as a core player; it's a risk, but no bigger than Baka is. DD has actually been more disappointing than Baka, because he has PL experience and should know how to control the tempo from midfield (especially because he'd been doing that with Kante not long ago), yet he has chosen the safe option and sat back to let Kante do it all, then played 5 yard passes without taking any responsibility of finding players in good positions.