Testtext
  • Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tucker

Emerson Palmieri

emerson-signs.img.png

Emerson signs

NEWSTUE 30 JAN 2018

Emerson Palmieri has today become the latest addition to the Chelsea squad after completing a transfer from Italian side Roma.

The 23-year-old has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract and will wear the number 33 shirt.

Upon signing for the Premier League champions, Emerson said: ‘I came here because it’s a great team with a great history. Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club.

‘English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it.’

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘We are delighted to welcome Emerson to the club. He is a young and talented player who strengthens the squad and will provide excellent competition for places as we pursue success in three different competitions.’ 

Emerson, full name Emerson Palmieri dos Santos, arrives following a fruitful and productive two-and-a-half seasons with Roma, where he established himself as an important member of the side and gained invaluable experience of playing in Europe.

A versatile left-sided player who can operate as a full-back, wing-back or in a more advanced role, Emerson is skilful, possesses a good range of passing and reads the game well for a player so young.

Having not featured for Roma in Europe this season he is eligible to play in all competitions for Chelsea.

Welcome to Chelsea, Emerson!

Welcome to Chelsea.

Good to know he's eligible for CL games.

xCELERYx   

This has the potential to be a very exciting signing. Watched a bunch of Roma games last season prior to his injury and he was generally one of the standout players. He's a good passer of the ball - something that all our WB's are a bit hit and miss with overall, he can take on his man and beat them, he's sound with his feet and has good speed to get in behind. Solid defensively as well, so we're not losing out in that regard either if he was to start ahead of Alonso at any point. Does need to have a bit more end product in terms of assists/goals, however I have little doubt that will come with better players around him and his frequent tenancy to get forward as much as he does. 

xCELERYx   
5 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

Well he looks an exciting player from the obligatory video clips I’ve seen.

Has he recovered from his injury then? 

He returned at the start of November, but because of the form of Kolarov he's not been able to get a run in the side since returning. I know he made a sub appearance in Serie A and featured in a Coppa Italia fixture, but I believe that's been about the extent of his playing time so far. The fact Roma have been able to turn what was around a 2m purchase into one that could reach close to 30m is why he's being sold - not so much about his injury, which I don't hold too much concern over at this point.

Welcome to Chelsea FC.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play, I have watched a few clips on youtube and he looks like he is good with the ball at his feet and can dribble a bit.

Good luck Emerson...

Sir   

A very good acquisition I hope! Great age, good price, good experience overall so far. Very pleasing. Hope his previous injury won’t affect him long term, though.

2 hours ago, jangz said:

whats the point of buying these players if they never play!! 

How is he supposed to use the guy when he's not Alex Sandro? 

And why use Giroud when he asked for Dzeko? 

Must be great being part of this squad!

7 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

How is he supposed to use the guy when he's not Alex Sandro? 

And why use Giroud when he asked for Dzeko? 

Must be great being part of this squad!

You'd hope that some of these reserves get a go against Palace so we save the legs of our best players so they can ready to actually press for more than 20 minutes against Barcelona next week.