• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea Sign Olivier Giroud

^ Literally not once did I ever watch Costa play for us and think he was anything but absolutely, furiously determined to win. And he was nowhere near as fiery and a liability as I thought he'd be on arrival, even when consistently provoked. Morata, as the obvious counterpoint, has been much worse in terms of flopping around, irking refs and seeming to give up on the pitch. Give me Costa's 'attitude' any day.

On Giroud, I think it is very clear how much we struggle with being pressed and especially without a long ball option. If he helps with that it'll be almost as good as any goals he scores.

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

^ Literally not once did I ever watch Costa play for us and think he was anything but absolutely, furiously determined to win.

Sadly many thought he was anything but absolutely, furiously determined to win.  Opinion based evidence as they say.

7 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

And he was nowhere near as fiery and a liability as I thought he'd be on arrival, even when consistently provoked. Morata, as the obvious counterpoint, has been much worse in terms of flopping around, irking refs and seeming to give up on the pitch. Give me Costa's 'attitude' any day.

Both very true

jones   
41 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

^ Literally not once did I ever watch Costa play for us and think he was anything but absolutely, furiously determined to win. And he was nowhere near as fiery and a liability as I thought he'd be on arrival, even when consistently provoked. Morata, as the obvious counterpoint, has been much worse in terms of flopping around, irking refs and seeming to give up on the pitch. Give me Costa's 'attitude' any day.

On Giroud, I think it is very clear how much we struggle with being pressed and especially without a long ball option. If he helps with that it'll be almost as good as any goals he scores.

Totally. Nothing against Morata in general but I think it was wrong to expect him to equal the mental impact of Costa and Drogba.

If Conte really wants his claim to fame to be as an improver of players he needs to get Morata to toughen up a bit , falling over in faux agony may well work in Spain or Italy but not in England and particularly not for Chelsea players where anything short of decapitation is seen as whining to the ref for protection.

xCELERYx   

A snippet from a Giroud interview that points to Conte being a big factor in why he joined. He also sounds hungry to play, which is also a positive.

"I had an offer from Dortmund, but they wanted a loan," Giroud told Telefoot. "Sevilla were interested, Roma contacted my agent. But when Conte told me he was counting on me, my choice was made.

"My choice was quite clear and obvious when I knew that Antonio Conte wanted to work with me. I know that Conte appreciates my profile, we work well together.

"I spoke to [France manager] Didier Deschamps about my situation. He did not tell me to join Chelsea, just to change club."

Edited by xCELERYx

bert19   
On 2/4/2018 at 10:39 PM, Sir said:

If he starts tomorrow I reckon he’ll grab one or two.

Surely he has to start next Monday now? 

13 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Surely he has to start next Monday now? 

I thought his introduction , albeit too late made a great difference to how we played and he looked like he understood the role and his work rate was good too. 

He's got to start .

bert19   
10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I thought his introduction , albeit too late made a great difference to how we played and he looked like he understood the role and his work rate was good too. 

He's got to start .

One might even advocate him starting in order to be able to bring Morata back into the team in a 'not-rushed back into it' manner. 

Big fella, holds the ball up well, wins everything in the air; should've bought Matt Rhead. If of course we could persuade Lincoln to sell. .