• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tucker

Olivier Giroud

2 hours ago, Kezza said:

Not sure that's a positive point so much. I appreciate the team trying change to play the ball from defence. It really makes for better watching than the old tactics of the past of hoofing. I want to see us play more like City or Spurs more than the current Utd. That said a strong striker up front does not immediately mean the team should play hoof ball. 

What I mean is that, knowing we have a CF who can hold up the ball, it gives the keeper another option which the opposition will be aware of, which will result in some teams not pressing our centre-backs quite so forcefully. At the moment a short pass to either Rudiger or Cahill on the left or Azpilicueta on the right are the only way we seem to want to play. It then becomes rather hit-or-miss as to whether we then manage to get the ball to another Chelsea player beyond the half-way line!

I don't think anyone really wants to watch 'long ball football' (and I'm certainly not advocating it), but the ability to mix things up is vital. At the moment we are one-dimensional in all our various phases of the game. Every team we play against knows what we'll do.

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

What I mean is that, knowing we have a CF who can hold up the ball, it gives the keeper another option which the opposition will be aware of, which will result in some teams not pressing our centre-backs quite so forcefully.

Precisely.  The flip side of us suffering from the press of lesser sides, because we sold Costa.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Precisely.  The flip side of us suffering from the press of lesser sides, because we sold Costa.

Because Costa wanted to leave .

Costa is the villain of the piece , the buck stops with him .

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Because Costa wanted to leave .

Costa is the villain of the piece , the buck stops with him .

I thought Conte told him to go to China.

Whatever.  Costa wanted to leave before, he was persuaded to stay.  In fact he had to be persuaded to come in the first place.  Just like Drogba on years 0, 1, 2 and 3.  I wonder where Drogba ended up?

And the real issue is why do we have Morata or Bats or Hazard trying to do a job they are clearly not suited to.

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I thought Conte told him to go to China.

Whatever.  Costa wanted to leave before, he was persuaded to stay.  In fact he had to be persuaded to come in the first place.  Just like Drogba on years 0, 1, 2 and 3.  I wonder where Drogba ended up?

And the real issue is why do we have Morata or Bats or Hazard trying to do a job they are clearly not suited to.

I'm in absolute agreement with the last bit , the only issue I have regarding the whole Costa thing is Conte getting blamed for it when I'm essence there was little he could do to appease him .

Sea foot   

Any chance that we can at least get his name spelt right In the title of his thread?

3 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Any chance that we can at least get his name spelt right In the title of his thread?

Anything for you.

xCELERYx   
On 2/3/2018 at 7:58 AM, Mark Kelly said:

I'm in absolute agreement with the last bit , the only issue I have regarding the whole Costa thing is Conte getting blamed for it when I'm essence there was little he could do to appease him .

This is what I don't get. 

Costa continuously pushed for a return to Atletico Madrid each and every transfer window. He also showcased poor attitude at times and disruptive behaviour. 

Yet, somehow it's Conte's fault for being the one who chose to remove such a continuous distraction from the team. Regardless of how good of a played he is, that sort of situation doesn't create a good environment.

Makes no sense. I'd expect the same course of action regardless of who the player is. The fact that Diego acted how he did afterwards says it all. 

47 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Costa continuously pushed for a return to Atletico Madrid each and every transfer window. He also showcased poor attitude at times and disruptive behaviour. 

That is called belief-based evidence.  Anyone watching Morata struggle up front with CBs should be aware of how much effort Costa put into his game all season.