• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tucker

Olivier Giroud

9 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Personally, when I have seen Edourd he reminds me a lot of Bony, who was also a player that was effective at a lower level and then when he stepped up to City he was completely out of his depth owing to the lack of space and time he would get in comparison to his time at Vitesse and Swansea. 

Dembele and Werner for me are better fits for us for a few of reasons. First I think they are more skilful players and can operate in tighter spaces which is important when you play at top clubs. Second, they can both play AM as well as CF, which means that they do not need to do the donkey work which will be covered by Tammy moving forward. Third, both are proven at a level much higher than Edourd and are more experienced. When we go to the market next we do not need yet more potential and inexperience as we have that in bundles, what we need are experienced players who are proven at a high to very high level. 

Fair enough. Neither will be cheap, but Aulas at Lyon is notoriously difficult and good at extracting massive fees. Dembele will cost more out of the two and will expect to play, when we already have Tammy doing very well. I think Edourd would accept a squad role and it would be a definite step up for him.

I like the way Edouard drops deep and links the play, he reminds me of Kane in that aspect. He us very good at holding the ball up too, very powerful player for a young lad. I suspect Dembele would the better goalscorer of the two.

The opposition not much and not in a position to post the link at present, but check out Edouard 2nd goal for France U21 against Azerbaijan last night. Very reminiscent of a certain Didier Drogba. 

paulw66   
14 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Fair enough. Neither will be cheap, but Aulas at Lyon is notoriously difficult and good at extracting massive fees. Dembele will cost more out of the two and will expect to play, when we already have Tammy doing very well. I think Edourd would accept a squad role and it would be a definite step up for him.

I like the way Edouard drops deep and links the play, he reminds me of Kane in that aspect. He us very good at holding the ball up too, very powerful player for a young lad. I suspect Dembele would the better goalscorer of the two.

The opposition not much and not in a position to post the link at present, but check out Edouard 2nd goal for France U21 against Azerbaijan last night. Very reminiscent of a certain Didier Drogba. 

Dembele is no better than Abraham. Basically has scored 1 in 2 in two p*ss poor divisions, the SPL and Ligue 1. 

Abraham scored at a better rate in a far more competitive division, and is 2 years younger. He is now scoring a better rate in arguably the toughest division there is. 

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Dembele is no better than Abraham. Basically has scored 1 in 2 in two p*ss poor divisions, the SPL and Ligue 1. 

Abraham scored at a better rate in a far more competitive division, and is 2 years younger. He is now scoring a better rate in arguably the toughest division there is. 

Obviously, if it could happen Werner should be our first choice but he probably off to Munich.

I think you're being a little harsh on Dembele, as he is only 10 months older than Tammy, not two years, the French league is probably the 4-5th best league in Europe and his record of scoring 2 in 1 is over a a significant period of time.

Dembele or Werner, if they are brought, should not be signed with the idea of replacing Tammy but rather to complement him/the team, give us a 5th option at AM and increase the competition for places which in my book is healthy. 

14 minutes ago, King Kante said:

the French league is probably the 4-5th best league in Europe

Interesting question.  I'd have said 6th

Prem
Serie A
La Liga
Championship
Bundesliga
La Ligue

If you judge on the bottom half of teams alone, then the Championship would be higher.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Sir   

100 Caps for Giroud now and second on the all time scoring list with 42 goals. Impressive. Especially given he didn’t make his debut until he was 25 I believe?!

Benzema would of been top scorer by now I reckon had he been continuing to play for the national team.

Every time we think it's the end of the road for Olivier he proves us wrong! He's a class dude and yet successive coaches have failed to give him the kudos he deserves. There is an obsession with pace in the modern game and no-one has ever really troubled to build an attacking strategy around what he can do, which is a lot more than just hold the ball up. Imagine him in a Shearer/Sutton setup.

28 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

Every time we think it's the end of the road for Olivier he proves us wrong! He's a class dude and yet successive coaches have failed to give him the kudos he deserves. There is an obsession with pace in the modern game and no-one has ever really troubled to build an attacking strategy around what he can do, which is a lot more than just hold the ball up. Imagine him in a Shearer/Sutton setup.

Should have been our first choice forward if we're insisting on playing Werner out wide. 

Imagine how good he could be with Havertz and Werner playing off him. 

Jasonb   

I prefer Giroud to Tammy yet Tammy is more mobile.

I also think Giroud though unquestionably the better finisher has games where he struggles giving managers the chance to bench him for their preferred new prodigy.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Should have been our first choice forward if we're insisting on playing Werner out wide. 

Imagine how good he could be with Havertz and Werner playing off him. 

Agreed. It's probably too late for him to achieve his full potential,  but he still has something to offer. I'd like to see him in that role 

Sir   

I agree with the sentiments on here. I’ve always been a big fan of Giroud since he was at Arsenal and was always somewhat confused with the criticism he got. He isn’t a goal machine like Lewandowski, but who really is? (Not including those two) and really I would of started Giroud pretty much every game since he arrived as our number one. I don’t know how we could do it but a three of Werner Giroud and other wouldn’t exactly be bad at all, but as I’ve said previously I’d always want Werner as the striker rather than on the wing. I kind of can’t stand it when that happens. Don’t know how you could mould Werner Giroud Werner Pulisic Ziyech Havertz etc but that’s not my job. Giroud up top, Werner on the left or right, Pulisic on the left or right interchanging? Havertz as the 10 ish type player, and Ziyech no idea.