• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Watford at Vicarage Road, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00, Monday, 5th February, 2018 (Local UK time/date).

jones   

Time for a change.

4-3-3.

Courtois

Azpi Rudiger Cahill* Alonso

Fabregas Kanté Bakayoko

Willian Morata Hazard

*if Christensen is injured

Rob B   
10 minutes ago, jones said:

Time for a change.

4-3-3.

Courtois

Azpi Rudiger Cahill* Alonso

Fabregas Kanté Bakayoko

Willian Morata Hazard

*if Christensen is injured

I agree, but not holding my breath

Looking at that team on paper though, it’s clear as day that in the summer we need to upgrade one of the central midfield spots (Baka) and also a top wide forward (Mahrez, Bailey etc) 

Hopefully we go all out on 1 or 2 big signings, and use the younger guys (Hudson-Odoi etc) as cover 

I can't imagine a team that cannot defend with five defenders would be improved with only four , particularly given that we have little in the way of attacking options whatsoever with Willian and Morata out .

One thing I would do is drop Courtois , the quicker we sell him in the summer the better , he is capable of the most sublime saves but he's also an airhead.

Willy

Azpi , Christensen , Luiz

Zappa Kante Fabregas Drinkwater Alonso

Giroud Hazard

Even I don't like the look of that........

If Christensen is out , we are , simply put , screwed.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Rob B   
43 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I can't imagine a team that cannot defend with five defenders would be improved with only four , particularly given that we have little in the way of attacking options whatsoever with Willian and Morata out .

One thing I would do is drop Courtois , the quicker we sell him in the summer the better , he is capable of the most sublime saves but he's also an airhead.

Willy

Giroud Hazard

Even I don't like the look of that........

If Christensen is out , we are , simply put , screwed.

Before last night which might easily prove to be an anomaly, I think we’d conceded 4 goals in our last 11 games, and 2 of those where the two Arsenal flukes from last week. 

In fairness to Conte (and he isn’t without criticism), our defence definitely hasn’t been the problem this season

10 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Before last night which might easily prove to be an anomaly, I think we’d conceded 4 goals in our last 11 games, and 2 of those where the two Arsenal flukes from last week. 

In fairness to Conte (and he isn’t without criticism), our defence definitely hasn’t been the problem this season

In all honesty I was really only basing it on the defence from last night , when Christensen went off we were hopeless , if we have to go into a game with only a converted full back as a truly competent centre half then we're screwed . Luiz is better than Cahill by miles and IIRC Rudiger is not great in a four.

Ham   

The defence were made to look worse last night because of the open door policy adopted by Timid Bakayoko. 

To his credit Kante was the only player who can hold his head up high but he was trying to drive forward because nobody else was. Some sublime runs from midfield. 

I sincerely hope that was an anomaly last night and that we use it as a line in the same because there are far tougher opponents out there. 

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Willy

Giroud Hazard

There is the problem - a team without a spine or character

Can you see any of the above digging in if Watford come out all guns blazing and take the lead?

20 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

There is the problem - a team without a spine or character

Can you see any of the above digging in if Watford come out all guns blazing and take the lead?

Which is why I put " even I don't like the look of that !

We could always bring in Barkley for some spine . Lol.

If Conte doesn't make big changes for this one, he never will and we're going to find ourselves with quite a battle to make top 4. I'd like to see either:

Courtois

Azpi - Christensen (if fit) - Rudiger - Alonso

Drinkwater - Kante

Hudson-Odoi - Fabregas - Hazard

Giroud

or

Courtois

Azpi - Christensen (if fit) - Rudiger - Alonso

Drinkwater - Fabregas - Kante

Hudson-Odoi - Giroud - Hazard

I can see absolutely no reason why Hudson-Odoi shouldn't be getting a game ahead of Pedro or Barkley at the moment.

I expect we will see this:

Courtois

Azpi - Cahill - Rudiger

Moses - Bakayoko - Kante - Fabregas - Alonso

Giroud - Hazard