• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly   
8 hours ago, JaneB said:

And it was Four Weddings btw

I stand corrected... ;-)

• Haha 1

I think we rode our luck on occasions which in itself was miraculous given the inadequacies of the referee who was truly abysmal .

There are times I despair watching us playing out from the back , there often seems one passing option for the ball carrier and that is normally sideways or backwards and absolutely nobody in a forward position "showing" for the ball , a bit more guile and WBA would have made us panic even more than they did.

However , we were much improved from the last two games and imho purely for one reason , we actually had a proper centre forward on the pitch , Giroud was excellent throughout and made the two WBA centre halves work throughout the game , in turn freeing Hazard from his false nine labours with great effect . Morata too seemed invigorated , maybe he's just been knackered ?

Chistensen , Azpi and Rudiger are easily our best option in defence and I thought that our performance dropped off when Cahill replaced Christensen  the same can also be said for when Willian replaced the industrious Pedro .

Hazard had one of them games where essentially he won it for us , his clever mercurial play was the difference on the night and I sorely hope we can convince him to stay .

A word for WBA , I really like Phillips , his corners were wonderful and he was a handfull on the flanks all night long , wouldn't mind finding a place for him at our place , imagine if we could do a Moses and convert him to a wing back ?

So , all in all a decent win without , goals aside , anything spectacular , lets hope we rest a few against Hull .

BlueFizz   

That was the most fun I’ve had at the Bridge for a while - despite our sluggish start and the persistent ‘can we pass it out from the back’ thing we do - it’s like a bad phone app game that we’re addicted to!

Courtois - apart from his scary underhit passes when playing short goal kicks, as ever good at key moments

Rudi, Chris, Azpi - by far and away my preferred back 3. Chris sublime, Azpi as solid as ever, and Rudi becoming a strong runner with the ball and passer out

Kante all energy and Fab grew into the game

Pedders - so much energy and running, Eden - no words necessary

Moses - despite goal, not quite effective enough. He seems one of those players who is best with no time to think, his decision making is his worse quality

Zappa - solid and a handful even on the left

Giroud - so much of an upgrade on Bats (sorry Bats) given way we play

Morata - lively and seemed a bit more PL/PL refereeing aware. I think having Giroud to compete with for top spot and perhaps to get a bit of PL insight from, will help him.

All in all not bad for a club in crisis... oh no,  applying media criteria that’s now Spurs or Arsenal... “Pochetino dead man walking”

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Marginally dominant, no Red card, some poor finishing by the oppo, a good finish by Hazard for Goal 1, and it's a 3-0 win, not a 0-3 or 1-4 defeat.  The gap between win big and lose big is not so great in the Prem.

But it was win  :)

Effectively my feeling on leaving the game; we were dreadful for the first 20 minutes and given the form and mindset we seem to have, I would have very much feared for us if Rodriguez hadn't so senselessly wasted the opportunity Moses even more senselessly gave him.

I thought Rudiger had a really nice game; he was much more effective bringing the ball out and rushing into space than I'd have previously given him credit for. Giroud also impressed; lots of flicks and lay offs didn't quite work out but they were all the right idea and all only marginally off.

Moses got his goal, but the purple patch is well and truly over. I said to a friend on seeing the starting line ups yesterday that I wasn't convinced he'd make the West Brom XI; I was playing it up for effect but having watched the 90 minutes I don't think the joke was far from the truth. He is not good enough at attacking to justify selection in those terms, and we are not good enough at defending to carry him. A good, hardworking option who I would gladly see stay here and real hats off to him for blowing everyone away with a genuinely good season in a title-winning team, but he cannot be part of the immediate XI going forward if we are to improve.

11 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I thought Rudiger had a really nice game; he was much more effective bringing the ball out and rushing into space than I'd have previously given him credit for. Giroud also impressed; lots of flicks and lay offs didn't quite work out but they were all the right idea and all only marginally off.

I think all the back 3 were good bringing the ball forward.  It is hard to judge on TV but I suspect Fabregas was getting close attention which is why he so rarely got on the ball, but others had a lot of time.  

Jasonb   
2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I'm hopeful last night will be the catalyst for or final push this season and hopefully not too late before for the Barca and Manchester games, but we'll see. Surely Conte will see he has to play 343 now we have 2 proper strikers to choose from and Bakayoko should not be back in this team for quite some time - Kante & Fabregas did ok last night, still not the strongest pairing but against lesser oppo it's fine, in the bigger games they'll struggle, but not sure Drinkwater or Bakayoko would make us much better... Luiz maybe?

I didn't see any mention last night of Luiz makes me think he has been frozen out as not on the bench and no mention of being injured.

58 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I didn't see any mention last night of Luiz makes me think he has been frozen out as not on the bench and no mention of being injured.

I think Luiz would have been played in CM a lot more often if he was "on message"

Holymoly   

3-0 sounds like an assured performance but for me we were a misstep away from another embarrassing performance a few times, and let's not forget this was against the team at the foot of the division and sinking fast.

More and more we are becoming a one man team. We desperately need someone in midfield capable of running the show on a reliably frequent basisin order that Hazard can stay forward more. I would say we missed Alonso with his ability to overlap on the left and by the end of the game Fabregas and Moses seemed to be visibly flagging. Hopefully we can get to the 20th without any more injuries.

14 hours ago, exiledblue said:

wont see James til the window opens. too busy looking for people apparently in the know to follow on twitter

Two posts after you made this one. Before I even saw yours.

Oops.

On Twitter, I've found some sources who've been 100% nailed on all season. About everything. There are lots of scam artists out there, for sure. Speculation is always good fun anyway. 

Edited by James Prescott

2 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Ampadu was picked for the bench above him on merit. And rightly so. 

He should have come on instead of Cahill on merit. Though to be honest being ahead of Cahill on merit isn't really a major achievement.

Edited by James Prescott