• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, East Lower said:

As regards Luiz in midfield, before the game at Watford I'd have wholeheartedly agreed. However, he was a complete disgrace before and during that game, he jogged around at his leisure and no matter what his issues may be, he should be first professional and secondly show the fans and his teammates due respect by doing his best.

Conte mentioned after that game he'd made selection mistakes and bang, last night no Luiz and quite right too. It's been a negative comment throughout his career that with his 'wrong' head on, he becomes a liability and for me that's the version we're seeing. 

It's pretty much been the only version of him we've seen this season. Last season, he was a major contributor to our success both in terms of "sensible" defending and his long-range passing. This season he started poorly and got worse, was dropped (and no doubt Conte told him exactly why and what he had to do to regain his place) and the few "second chances" he's had to redeem himself he's not just not taken, but almost seems to have deliberately chosen not to take them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

(CF) An option we should have sorted out at the start of the season. Pisspoor planning in every sense of the word.

I suspect Palmieri, Barkley and a 2nd  CF were planned to come in September - which would have given us almost a full squad (with Bats not going on loan).
Fitness was the problem with the first two.  No idea what happened to the CF.  Maybe Arsenal failed to get their man at the last moment (Aubameyang possibly).  Or maybe we changed from 2 affordable strikers to Morata + no one/Bats remained.

But you are right - pisspoor.  Having sensible objectives in May is no excuse for failure come September.  Better a poor shopping list completed than an excellent one missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I suspect Palmieri, Barkley and a 2nd  CF were planned to come in September - which would have given us almost a full squad (with Bats not going on loan).
Fitness was the problem with the first two.  No idea what happened to the CF.  Maybe Arsenal failed to get their man at the last moment (Aubameyang possibly).  Or maybe we changed from 2 affordable strikers to Morata + no one/Bats remained.

But you are right - pisspoor.  Having sensible objectives in May is no excuse for failure come September.  Better a poor shopping list completed than an excellent one missed.

They were planned. Llorente was planned for months. What we sadly lacked was the implementation of the plan... like making an offer. Spurs got the hang of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   

And yet Palmieri hasn't appeared yet, notwithstanding he was playing for Roma immediately before his transfer. Another example of a player needing a month or two of mindwashing into the Conte way of doing things before he is allowed out on his own? In the meantime we play Zappacosta at left back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

And yet Palmieri hasn't appeared yet, notwithstanding he was playing for Roma immediately before his transfer. Another example of a player needing a month or two of mindwashing into the Conte way of doing things before he is allowed out on his own? In the meantime we play Zappacosta at left back.

I think he's only played one cup game which is hardly great rehabilitation from an injury in fairness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

And yet Palmieri hasn't appeared yet, notwithstanding he was playing for Roma immediately before his transfer. Another example of a player needing a month or two of mindwashing into the Conte way of doing things before he is allowed out on his own? In the meantime we play Zappacosta at left back.

Ah but you see our players are not ya normal sort of players. Ours are thoroughbreds, trained to an inch of perfection . Their minds have to be honed and totally focused on the job in hand. If Palmieri aint ready (bless him) I for one am happy to wait until next season to see the dazzing finished article appear (with hopefully a full fanfare of trumpets). I'm getting myself excited already!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he's only played one cup game which is hardly great rehabilitation from an injury in fairness. 

Then why for pitys sake do we let Kennedy go to the FSW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bert19   
17 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

And yet Palmieri hasn't appeared yet, notwithstanding he was playing for Roma immediately before his transfer. Another example of a player needing a month or two of mindwashing into the Conte way of doing things before he is allowed out on his own? In the meantime we play Zappacosta at left back.

Have to admit I was a bit surprised/disappointed that he didn't appear on the touchline with a big green '33' by his head after the 2nd or 3rd goals went in.  Seemed like a perfect opportunity to give him a few fairly easy minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Then why for pitys sake do we let Kennedy go to the FSW?

I'm guessing because the club wanted to recoup "something" whilst we can make do and mend with Zappacosta playing out of position.

Personally I do get a little tired of the weeks of intensive training regarding our system that Conte likes but in this case I guess he just ain't fit.

Edited by Mark Kelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bert19   
18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm guessing because the club wanted to recoup "something" whilst we can make do and mend with Zappacosta playing out of position.

Personally I do get a little tired of the weeks of intensive training regarding our system that Conte likes but in this case I guess he just ain't fit.

I don't think that intensive training has been doing the players any favours recently either.  Seems to be taking its toll with this burst of injuries being added to the general levels of fatigue.  

Despite the result at Watford, I think that 3 days off they got afterwards could prove quite valuable in the coming weeks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now