• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

xCELERYx   
5 hours ago, bert19 said:

I don't think that intensive training has been doing the players any favours recently either.  Seems to be taking its toll with this burst of injuries being added to the general levels of fatigue.  

Despite the result at Watford, I think that 3 days off they got afterwards could prove quite valuable in the coming weeks 

We haven't been intensely training though - there hasn't been the time between games to allow for much work on physical conditioning, something Conte has already spoken about. The whole "intense training" situation is just something the media have taken and ran with without little credibility to use against us once performances slipped. Yet, last season it was seen as a catalyst to our success and Conte was praised for it. 

You can tell we haven't worked nearly as hard in training this season anyway because we don't look as physically fit as we did last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   
28 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

We haven't been intensely training though - there hasn't been the time between games to allow for much work on physical conditioning, something Conte has already spoken about. The whole "intense training" situation is just something the media have taken and ran with without little credibility to use against us once performances slipped. Yet, last season it was seen as a catalyst to our success and Conte was praised for it. 

You can tell we haven't worked nearly as hard in training this season anyway because we don't look as physically fit as we did last season.

I'll agree about the look of our fitness this season however I also see the large number of sress related injuries. Maybe it's not the amount of training we're doing but the type of training.  Perhaps Steve Holland leaving was more of an issue than we thought. Has there been any other significant changes in back room/conditioning staff this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
1 minute ago, Holymoly said:

I'll agree about the look of our fitness this season however I also see the large number of sress related injuries. Maybe it's not the amount of training we're doing but the type of training.  Perhaps Steve Holland leaving was more of an issue than we thought. Has there been any other significant changes in back room/conditioning staff this season?

I'd bank on those injuries stemming more from matches than training, although training could be when these injuries have been more noticeable or aggravated. 

An increase in games, less rest between fixtures, and in some cases less ability to rotate players, will have all played a significant part. While signing players who have either come off prior injuries: Bakayoko (knee), Drinkwater (thigh/calf strains), Emerson (ACL), Giroud (hamstring), Barkley (hamstring) hasn't helped either. Not to mention having our own players like Hazard and Luiz having their issues to start the season with - and in Luiz's case - his knee has been problematic for some time. 

The board need to be accountable for some of this as well. Only three first team players we've signed this season have been fit from the very beginning and weren't under an injury cloud - Zappacosta, Rudiger and Morata. This then just adds further stress to the players currently fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On injuries at Chelsea, the club are always very tight lipped about this.  When possible policy seems to be to give some players 2 or 3 week breaks to get back to 100%.  But we have so few official injuries and so few players that almost certainly players are playing when carrying a knock on a regular basis.

But more worrying for me is the incredible injury situation for our on loan players.   RLC, Abraham, Palmer, Brown all have

had significant injuries (though in Abrahams case I suspect the club just insisted on an extended break for a conventionally exhausted player).

15 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

The board need to be accountable for some of this as well. Only three first team players we've signed this season have been fit from the very beginning and weren't under an injury cloud - Zappacosta, Rudiger and Morata. This then just adds further stress to the players currently fit. 

And Bakayoko who had just a routine clean out of his knee at the end of last season.  [And the alternative Drinkwater story is played pre-season, got ready for a move (thigh injury reported), on bench a week after move, and injuries to calf, ankle and illness since (not calf).  But people don't like their beliefs challenged so you can have him as injured.]

And Caballero which makes 5 fit out of 6 purchases.

Actually the board (or someone, we never know whom, perhaps the manager) seem to have refused to take on Palmieri and Barkley and possibly a CF because of fitness reasons.  So it has not been a question of buying unfit players, but simply of not being flexible enough to buy alternatives when the first choice isn't ready.  Who was not flexible - the board or manager - we don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   

I think what we are seeing now is the clock running down to Conte's departure.It is bound to affect the players and indeed Conte himself.If we can scrape a top four place I will be delighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kev61 said:

I think what we are seeing now is the clock running down to Conte's departure.It is bound to affect the players and indeed Conte himself.If we can scrape a top four place I will be delighted.

Kev, we won the game, mate! If that's the clock running down, let's have more of it!........:).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
15 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Kev, we won the game, mate! If that's the clock running down, let's have more of it!........:).

We won the game Michael against the worst team in the league and not that convincingly even though the score suggests otherwise.No matter what team we put out we will win certain matches with a big score,however we are a team that are flatlining at the top of the table.

Edited by kev61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kev61 said:

We won the game Michael against the worst team in the league 

Who really cares, Kev? After our previous two outings, it was a pleasant step up. I'll enjoy it for what it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Who really cares, Kev? After our previous two outings, it was a pleasant step up. I'll enjoy it for what it was.

Sure I will take another flattering and rather lucky victory over the bottom club, but without Hazard we ARE West Brom. That should worry everyone considerably. We are approaching the defining moments of our season . Barca to come and the two Mancs clubs in the prem. Finishing out of the top four is unthinkable again because Hazard will go. How do you think we shape up currently with Spurs and the Dippers and how can anyone be chirpy about our current situation. If I was a supporter of a team like Arsenal or Everton I'd be chirpy fighting for fourth, but I am not...I am Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinod   
55 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Sure I will take another flattering and rather lucky victory over the bottom club, but without Hazard we ARE West Brom. That should worry everyone considerably. We are approaching the defining moments of our season . Barca to come and the two Mancs clubs in the prem. Finishing out of the top four is unthinkable again because Hazard will go. How do you think we shape up currently with Spurs and the Dippers and how can anyone be chirpy about our current situation. If I was a supporter of a team like Arsenal or Everton I'd be chirpy fighting for fourth, but I am not...I am Chelsea.

We will turn it on against Barcelona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now