• Current Donation Goals

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes, agreed, but it was possibly the worst half hour I have seen from an international footballer. 

Yes, the team ran out of gas after playing with 10 for an hour. The tone of the game was set from the get go and quite frankly the only reason they weren't already ahead was because of poor finishing. 

My personal opinion is that despite having not been in the game until we miraculously equalised the players then tried to win the game , over committed to attack and were picked off on the counter , assisted , naturally, by the referee ignoring two clear fouls in the lead up to two of the goals.

Antonio asked in his press conference - Last season you changed to three at the back and won the title will you consider another change to a back four?

His response - I changed against Watford and we conceded 3 goals, I think its not a good idea to change.

Guess that answers that query then. Also he said Pedro is not injured and in contention to play, Morata is out and he doesn't know how long for, I missed what he said about Christensen but think it was we will have to check before the game. No other new injuries.

I don't think the formation is to blame, I think playing low energy football to nurse us through this marathon has finally caught up with us. Although I don't see the need to play two water-carriers in midfield when you have 3 centre backs behind them.

I don't hear any updates on the fitness of Barkley, Alonso and Emerson so I assume these are the players in contention:

Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo,

Azpilicueta, Christensen, Luiz, Rüdiger, Cahill

Moses, Zappacosta, Alonso, Emerson

Kanté, Fabregas, Drinkwater, Ampadu

Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Barkley, Hudson-Odoi

Giroud

I hope Giroud starts and is replaced when tired, rather than being used as a sub. Hazard is wasted as a 9 and that formation relies on a passive opponent and all three of the attackers being in top form.

• Like 1

Zola and Le Saux were watching training today, alongside conte..

wonder if they are being lined up to take over for the remainder of the season if conte is fired?

Anyone got any clue whats going on with Morata's back exactly?

I mean with David Luiz, Conte sort of alternated between blaming his knee or his ankle and I never got a clear picture what was going on with David Luiz.

Last season we saw him lie about Costa's back injury to cover up that there was discord between the 2 of them regarding the offer from China... 

I remember some years ago that JT had a piriformis injury in his buttock that kept him out of action when Carlo was in charge but JT eventually had surgery if I remember correctly. 

Just really wanted to know exactly what was the nature of Morata's injury because we are clearly falling apart without a striker and Conte hardly ever sheds light on the injury situations.

Conte: Time for trust

NEWSFRI 9 FEB 2018

Antonio Conte says his players must maintain belief in their ability at this difficult time, and the boss also thanked the Chelsea fans for their continued support of him at games.

Conte was speaking to the media at Cobham ahead of Monday night’s league fixture against West Brom. He answered questions on a number of different topics as he seeks to guide us back to winning ways after consecutive defeats.

He also provided injury updates on a number of his players, and noted there are still a couple of days to go until the game so things could change before kick-off. One player definitely out is Alvaro Morata, and Conte said he didn’t know how long the striker would be sidelined for with his back injury, admitting that makes him ‘a bit worried, because of his importance’.

He had brighter news to report on Andreas Christensen, who trained today though not with the group, and he is hoping to call on the Danish defender for the Baggies’ visit. Pedro is definitely available having hobbled off against Watford, and Olivier Giroud is also in contention to make his home debut, Conte confirmed.

He then explained to the media why he had given the players three days off after the defeat at Vicarage Road.

‘It was the only moment in the whole season to give them a bit of rest,’ Conte said.

‘In the future it will be very important for the federation to give a little bit of rest to the players. After you play a lot of games every three days, it’s very difficult for every player, especially if you go through in every competition like we have. A bit of rest for players, not only mine, would be important.

‘Now we restarted to work in the way that we know,’ Conte added. ‘I like to play football and try to dominate the game. To do this we must have personality to play with the ball. Watford was a really bad game for us. But it can happen. The most important thing is that it only happens once.

‘We have to try to stop this bad run, and try to get three points. It won’t be easy because as you know in this type of situation, confidence is not high, but we have to trust our work and trust in our football to try and get three points.

‘We are talking about players who have played at this level for many years. Honestly, I think these type of players can find the right strength to fight the fear.’

Conte stressed he and the players are focusing on themselves and not bottom-of-the-table West Brom ahead of the game, and he reiterated his belief everyone at Chelsea must ‘divide responsibility’ for results, good or bad.

Even when things were going wrong against Bournemouth and Watford the Chelsea supporters sang Conte’s name, and he was asked if that gave him a boost at this testing time.

‘For sure. I have to say thanks to the fans, because from the start of my experience with Chelsea they try to stay behind me in every game, they continue to do this and I am very proud of this.

‘They understand I am giving all of myself to this club, and I want to say thanks to the fans. They deserve the best and I try with my players to give them the best satisfaction.’ 

JaneB   
4 hours ago, Never happy said:

Zola and Le Saux were watching training today, alongside conte..

wonder if they are being lined up to take over for the remainder of the season if conte is fired?

Would never put anything past the people running Chelsea now but hopefully never in a million years.

Le Saux has never managed and I don't think there's a Chelsea fan anywhere who would want Franco back as even temporary manager, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

4 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Would never put anything past the people running Chelsea now but hopefully never in a million years.

Le Saux has never managed and I don't think there's a Chelsea fan anywhere who would want Franco back as even temporary manager, and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Absolutely. Very well said Jane.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Hollins was bad enough.  Webb a disaster.  Hate to see my heroes risk their reputations.  At least RDM made it work for long enough.

JaneB   
39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Hollins was bad enough.  Webb a disaster.  Hate to see my heroes risk their reputations.  At least RDM made it work for long enough.

Me too.  

He did and then got sacked for his trouble.  Can't ever take that momentous night away from him though,