• Current Donation Goals

xCELERYx

Performance Review: Mid-season Edition

9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

The problem is , some people only have opinions about others opinions , so they won't join in .

Well I'll try to present this as an opinion - even if it was the almost Universal opinion back in September, and pretty much accepted as fact now.

That is we all predicted the squad was too small and the players would be knackered by the time we played a few weeks of 2 games a week.
We just played 22 games in 10 and a half weeks.

We have played 41 games - a year ago we played 29 games at this point.  Last season we played 46 games ALL SEASON - with a bigger squad.

I thought we all knew this - I thought we all knew this in 15/16 too (but everyone forgot).

So I suppose the sudden split between those that blame the manager and those that blame the players should have been predictable.

So stop rating the players as if it is their fault - and Stop blaming Conte as if he is at fault.  We knew what was wrong on September 1st.

16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well I'll try to present this as an opinion - even if it was the almost Universal opinion back in September, and pretty much accepted as fact now.

That is we all predicted the squad was too small and the players would be knackered by the time we played a few weeks of 2 games a week.
We just played 22 games in 10 and a half weeks.

We have played 41 games - a year ago we played 29 games at this point.  Last season we played 46 games ALL SEASON - with a bigger squad.

I thought we all knew this - I thought we all knew this in 15/16 too (but everyone forgot).

So I suppose the sudden split between those that blame the manager and those that blame the players should have been predictable.

So stop rating the players as if it is their fault - and Stop blaming Conte as if he is at fault.  We knew what was wrong on September 1st.

So you're not joining in then ?

Shame I was hoping for a 10 for Fabregas from somewhere.

I agree with most of what you'e saying by the way , however it's just ( somebody else's ) straw poll and it does give you opportunity to give the board 2/10 like I did for all those valid reasons you list above.

Edited by Mark Kelly

paulw66   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The squad sizes are pretty much identical if you ignore the RLC v Musonda / Ampadu. 

We got half a season out of Oscar and Ivanovic, and we'll get half from Barkely / Emerson. 

14 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Goalkeepers - (7/10)

• Courtois - (7/10)
  • Caballero - (7/10)
  • Eduardo - (-)

Defence - (7/10)

• Cahill - (7/10)
  • Luiz - (6/10)
  • Azpilicueta - (9/10)
  • Christensen - (8/10)
  • Rudiger - (7/10)
  • Ampadu - (7/10)

Wing-Back- (6/10)

• Alonso - (7/10)
  • Moses - (5/10)
  • Zappacosta - (5/10)
  • Emerson - (-)
  • Kenedy - (5/10)

Midfield - (5/10)

• Kante  - (7/10)
  • Bakayoko - (3/10)
  • Fabregas - (5/10)
  • Drinkwater - (4/10)

Attacking Midfield - (6/10)

• Hazard - (8/10)
  • Willian - (6/10)
  • Pedro - (5/10)
  • Barkley - (-)
  • Musonda - (-)
  • Boga  - (-)
  • Hudson-Odoi - (-)

Strikers - (6/10)

• Morata - (6/10)
  • Batshuayi - (6/10)
  • Giroud - (-)

Other

• Conte - (6/10)
  • Board - (5/10)

Edited by Bob Singleton

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The squad sizes are pretty much identical if you ignore the RLC v Musonda / Ampadu. 

We got half a season out of Oscar and Ivanovic, and we'll get half from Barkely / Emerson. 

Last season 13 players played over 1000 minutes in the whole season. Another 7 players played 500-1000 minutes.

So far this season 17 players have played over 1000 minutes. Another 2 have played 500-1000 minutes. You'd expect Giroud, Barkley and Emerson to make it into the latter group at least.

Last season's squad was small but it didn't affect performances in the short term. This season's squad was too small in September and is barely adequate now - but stuffed with injured and exhausted players. This come from inadequate planning at the board level plus the coach's refusal to trust his back-up players.

On the players themselves, this season I'd only mark Bakayoko and Cahill as below average - others (Luiz, Moses, Drinkwater, Pedro) have not played well are difficult to judge accurately as their circumstances have been affected by injuries, fatigue and playing positions and a system not suited to their qualities.

As energy levels have dropped, average ratings have dropped across the board and eventually this has caught up with us. We got away with it for a while and should count ourselves lucky that it was only the last two matches before the schedule eases that have been really bad. We've still got enough to finish fourth, maybe win the FA Cup and then strengthen in the summer.

Never again should we take the league cup seriously, even if we someone how make it to the semi-finals. Reserve players and kids only.

• Like 1

Rob B   

Interesting topic.  I'll go with....

Goalkeepers - (x/10)

• Courtois - (7/10)
  • Caballero - (7/10)
  • Eduardo - (-)

Defence - (x/10)

• Cahill - (5/10)
  • Luiz - (5/10)
  • Azpilicueta - (8/10)
  • Christensen - (9/10)
  • Rudiger - (7/10)
  • Ampadu - (7/10)

Wing-Back- (x/10)

• Alonso - (7/10)
  • Moses - (5/10)
  • Zappacosta - (5/10)
  • Emerson - (-/10)
  • Kenedy - (-/10)

Midfield - (x/10)

• Kante  - (7/10)
  • Bakayoko - (3/10)
  • Fabregas - (6/10)
  • Drinkwater - (6/10)

Attacking Midfield - (x/10)

• Hazard - (8/10)
  • Willian - (6/10)
  • Pedro - (5/10)
  • Barkley - (-)
  • Musonda - (-/10)
  • Boga  - (-)
  • Hudson-Odoi - (-)

Strikers - (x/10)

• Morata - (6/10)
  • Batshuayi - (6/10)
  • Giroud - (-/10)

Other

• Conte - (6/10)
  • Board - (3/10)

Not an easy thing to do because if I'm taking the emotion from the last two performances out of it, and look at it completely objectively, we are still in the top 4, still in the FA Cup and CL, and got to the Semi Finals of the Carabao Cup.  That hardly spells disaster.  

That said, we have had too many players who have been below par. (These have been marked as a 5 or below).  Conte gets a 6 because whilst he's not been perfect, on paper it's not a bad season so far, he's brought through the likes of Ampadu, Christensen and CHO and has had to integrate a lot of new players, many of which are mediocre and not necessarily his choice. 

The GKs and defence score the highest partly because we've kept a lot of clean sheets this season, and generally speaking our struggles have been in attack, but also because our breakthrough performances and/or consistency of performances, comes from these positions. 

13 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

yeah, OK, marginally bigger than last year. But we will have many more games this season in a season that finishes earlier.

12 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Not an easy thing to do because if I'm taking the emotion from the last two performances out of it, and look at it completely objectively, we are still in the top 4, still in the FA Cup and CL, and got to the Semi Finals of the Carabao Cup.  That hardly spells disaster.  

Yes - we did very well through to Xmas (better than expected) , poorly in January.  Not really surprising - that is how the crowd of game and tiredness works.

Holymoly   

Goalkeepers - (6/10)

• Courtois - (6/10)
  • Caballero - (7/10)
  • Eduardo - (-)

Defence - (5/10)

• Cahill - (4/10)
  • Luiz - (5/10)
  • Azpilicueta - (8/10)
  • Christensen - (7/10)
  • Rudiger - (6/10)
  • Ampadu - (6/10)

Wing-Back- (6/10)

• Alonso - (7/10)
  • Moses - (5/10)
  • Zappacosta - (5/10)
  • Emerson - (-/10)
  • Kenedy - (6/10)

Midfield - (6/10)

• Kante  - (7/10)
  • Bakayoko - (4/10)
  • Fabregas - (6/10)
  • Drinkwater - (6/10)

Attacking Midfield - (7/10)

• Hazard - (8/10)
  • Willian - (7/10)
  • Pedro - (6/10)
  • Barkley - (6/10)
  • Musonda - (6/10)
  • Boga  - (-)
  • Hudson-Odoi - (-)

Strikers - (6/10)

• Morata - (7/10)
  • Batshuayi - (6/10)
  • Giroud - (-/10)

Other

• Conte - (5/10)
  • Board - (2/10)

I've tried to use the FM basis of rating, 6 unless there is a good reason otherwise. Players who have played very little or else I haven't actually seen them play then I've avoided scoring them.

Courtois, for all the plaudits the media has heaped at his door over the years I fail to see how he is any better than a bang average keeper. Yes he can stop a shot but equally he is capable of some amazing gaffs. His biggest deficiency however is in the lack of command of his area and failing to marshall his defense.

Defense is overall poor with Azpillicueta getting the nod due to his attacking edge.

Midfield is average, down at least a notch from the previous year.

AM is the one bright spot but only because of Hazard. Unfortunately it is ineffective when there is no effective striker to play up to.

Morata started well but has declined. There is no-one else to consider at striker.

Antonio? 5 at best. His whiny complaining will have had an adverse effect on everyone at the club and his pig headed stubborness to continue to play people who are out of form has had a huge negative impact on the season.

The board? If you accept that Conte has zero input to the transfer policy (which I doubt is entirely true) then the much vaunted "transfer committee" must take responsibility for the individuals let go in order to bring in the ordinary players we have seen who do not improve the squad one iota. In turn if that is true then the board is to blame for not stepping in and rejigging the infrastructure. Taking it to the logical extreme then Roman, if he is still interested, is at fault for allowing successive managers to take the blame for a situation created above his head.

Overall, yes we're still 4th (but sinking fast at the moment) in the CL and the FA Cup, but all of that can be turned on its head this month and if that happens then I don't see any reason the board will wait for the end of the season before replacing Conte with Luis Enrique. If the nettle is grasped now maybe he can do a diMatteo?

paulw66   
1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Never again should we take the league cup seriously, even if we someone how make it to the semi-finals. Reserve players and kids only.

My biggest beef with AC so far. Small squad means it has to be managed properly and two extra midweek games in January after the tough Xmas period was exactly what we didn't need for a competition that for a team in the CL should be nothing more than an irritant 

Sea foot   

To be fair though we have always been a club that takes every competition seriously rightly or wrongly.