• Hudson-Odoi - (-)

Strikers - (6/10)

• Morata - (7/10)
  • Batshuayi - (6/10)
  • Giroud - (-/10)

Other

• Conte - (5/10)
  • Board - (2/10)

I've tried to use the FM basis of rating, 6 unless there is a good reason otherwise. Players who have played very little or else I haven't actually seen them play then I've avoided scoring them.

Courtois, for all the plaudits the media has heaped at his door over the years I fail to see how he is any better than a bang average keeper. Yes he can stop a shot but equally he is capable of some amazing gaffs. His biggest deficiency however is in the lack of command of his area and failing to marshall his defense.

Defense is overall poor with Azpillicueta getting the nod due to his attacking edge.

Midfield is average, down at least a notch from the previous year.

AM is the one bright spot but only because of Hazard. Unfortunately it is ineffective when there is no effective striker to play up to.

Morata started well but has declined. There is no-one else to consider at striker.

Antonio? 5 at best. His whiny complaining will have had an adverse effect on everyone at the club and his pig headed stubborness to continue to play people who are out of form has had a huge negative impact on the season.

The board? If you accept that Conte has zero input to the transfer policy (which I doubt is entirely true) then the much vaunted "transfer committee" must take responsibility for the individuals let go in order to bring in the ordinary players we have seen who do not improve the squad one iota. In turn if that is true then the board is to blame for not stepping in and rejigging the infrastructure. Taking it to the logical extreme then Roman, if he is still interested, is at fault for allowing successive managers to take the blame for a situation created above his head.

Overall, yes we're still 4th (but sinking fast at the moment) in the CL and the FA Cup, but all of that can be turned on its head this month and if that happens then I don't see any reason the board will wait for the end of the season before replacing Conte with Luis Enrique. If the nettle is grasped now maybe he can do a diMatteo?

So a defensive unit that has only conceded a few goals more than United and City and has a better record than anyone else, bar Burnley with whom we are equal, gets a collective 5/10 from you (which is below average on this crazy "6/10 is an average performance" scale some of you are using. Did you not do maths at school?) In fact, the further up the pitch, the higher the marks you give, whereas our problem has actually been an inability to create chances and an inability to turn those chances created into goals! Very odd. Very, very odd scoring method indeed! Thanks for confirming my suspicions about you.

JaneB   
30 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

So a defensive unit that has only conceded a few goals more than United and City and has a better record than anyone else, bar Burnley with whom we are equal, gets a collective 5/10 from you (which is below average on this crazy "6/10 is an average performance" scale some of you are using. Did you not do maths at school?) In fact, the further up the pitch, the higher the marks you give, whereas our problem has actually been an inability to create chances and an inability to turn those chances created into goals! Very odd. Very, very odd scoring method indeed! Thanks for confirming my suspicions about you.

Don't want to get involved in other people's spats but, with great respect, do you have to be quite so personal, patronising, rude and dismissive?  Everyone's opinion on here is valid and very often wide-ranging, and I enjoyed reading HM's post. 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Courtois, for all the plaudits the media has heaped at his door over the years I fail to see how he is any better than a bang average keeper. Yes he can stop a shot but equally he is capable of some amazing gaffs. His biggest deficiency however is in the lack of command of his area and failing to marshall his defense.

Bang average? If we put him up for sale, you see which teams try and buy him and for how much. Real Madrid and PSG are two obvious ones, and we would get £100m. 

He may look "average" sometimes because of his enormous reach. He makes nonchalant saves where others would struggle to even reach. Often small goalkeepers kept more plaudits because they are at full stretch more often and saves look more spectacular. 

For all our problems at the moment, he isn't one. 

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Clever bloke - clearly a Mathematician, dividing GA by 3 defenders and GF by a front line of 2.

14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Clever bloke - clearly a Mathematician, dividing GA by 3 defenders and GF by a front line of 2.

I'm not dividing anything by anything! Look at the tables. Look at the goals for and goals against. Then compare those figures with other clubs and it's not hard to see (even for someone as seemingly blind as you!), that our problems lie less with our defence and more with our midfield and attack.

5 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I'm not dividing anything by anything!

Perhaps you should.   Perhaps you didn't notice the subtraction of an AM last season or the subtraction of an AM/Fabregas this season.  Or the addition of a CB last season and of Bakayoko/Drinkwater this season.

The idea is to rate the individuals for their performances, not simply count which is the biggest force.

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Bang average? If we put him up for sale, you see which teams try and buy him and for how much. Real Madrid and PSG are two obvious ones, and we would get £100m. 

Mate, if someone comes a knocking with that sort of money then snap their hands off. He is no Manuel Neuer that's for sure. It's a bit chicken and egg though I'll admit. The goals we've shipped these last two games are they the fault of the defense or are they his fault for not keeping the defenders in front of him on point? He seems to be a very quiet keeper, doesn't seem to have much to do with the three in front of him. It always seems to me that he reacts to their mistakes rather than helping them ensure they don't make them in the first place. But like I've said before his looks probably don't help that image.

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Mate, if someone comes a knocking with that sort of money then snap their hands off.

Yes - £100m and he is a sell.  Actually £60m and he is a sell - even at todays inflated prices.

Keepers generally are cheaper than other players, because it is so hard to prove how much a good one adds to a team.  Probably not nearly as much as some think.

Red rag to several bulls perhaps, but that's the most strawman OP I've read here in ages. There are obviously lots of people who don't just finger point at their favourite scapegoats.

Virtually everyone has done okay, even better than I think they could fairly be expected, as individuals. I'd only really pick out the two big summer signings as problems. Bakayoko (I'm confident but also sad to say as I do not question his effort at all) has no future here. I'd say the same of Morata, although perhaps more harshly I would question his mentality; a decent tally for a first season but inflated by a few flat-track fixtures and mostly a ghost when it gets tough. I can't see anyone of a certain standard but Conte being happy with him as first choice, and I can't see Conte being here long.

I do think expectations of any manager at this club with the demands it has and the squad size it offers have to be tempered, but that ultimately Conte is putting in a 'requires improvement' if not outright bad performance. Our tactics have been cowardly, if not suicidal, too often. And while we would find it hard to unpick who has most responsibility for the current squad, the fact is that he is here and was happy to accept a pay increase. He is at least complicit and there is no way around that fact.

The board are doing a great job. Problem is they're not doing the job a lot of us want.

We will, at best, yo-yo until we have a genuine 22-25 man squad. It is almost unimportant by comparison who about 8 of those players are, or who manages them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Red rag to several bulls perhaps, but that's the most strawman OP I've read here in ages. There are obviously lots of people who don't just finger point at their favourite scapegoats.

Exactly.  Team struggles - as predicted - and everyone takes the opportunity to dump their prediction and scapegoat their least favourite players or the manager.