• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Hull City 0

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our F.A. Cup 5th Round match against Hull City at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00, Friday, 16th February, 2018 (Local UK time/date).

Courtois, Azpilicueta, Christensen, Kanté, Fabregas, Hazard and Willian need to be rested for Barca. Let's try and make a match day 18 out of: Caballero, Eduardo, Luiz, Cahill, Ampadu, Moses, Zappacosta, Emerson, Alonso, Sterling, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Scott, Pedro, Barkley, Hudson-Odoi, Morata and Giroud.

jones   

Can we please rest the entire team for this one? Home to Hull, who are without three of their Chelsea loaned defenders should be a walk in the park for our second XI, even if it looks a little unbalanced defensively:

HULL: Caballero - Ampadu Luiz Rudiger - Zappacosta Drinkwater Fabregas Palmieri - Willian Giroud Barkley/Hudson-Odoi

Gives all the starters against Barca rest and time to prepare, even if Morata and Bakayoko would benefit from match fitness minutes.

BARCA: Courtois - Azpi Christensen Cahill - Moses Bakayoko Kanté Alonso - Pedro Morata Hazard

I think Conte will prefer to have his captain on the pitch against Barcelona, even if Rudiger is the better football player. The right mentality is crucial in that game. Even if Bakayoko has been shite, I can't see Fabregas in the two, and it would be a surprise if Drinkwater started given how little he has been involved. Pedro over Willian, due to his experience from Barca and superior positional play.

Rob B   

Be very very surprised if he went 3-4-3 against Barcelona.  I’m afraid he’ll pack the midfield and play Hazard and Morata up front. 

For Hull, he needs to change the team completely as others have pointed out:

Cabalerro, Ampadu, Luiz, Cahill, Emerson, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Sterling, Barkley, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi 

I know that I've said this before - but the FA Cup is the one cup we have some chance of winning. I doubt that Conte will chuck that away by playing the B-Teamers as a bulk lot. 

1 minute ago, Michael Tucker said:

I know that I've said this before - but the FA Cup is the one cup we have some chance of winning. I doubt that Conte will chuck that away by playing the B-Teamers as a bulk lot. 

Indeed!

jones   
4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

If these eleven "B teamers", as you call them, can't beat Hull, who are fighting for relegation to L1 and are left with two left backs and three center backs since Tomori, Hector and Aina are ineligible, then I will eat my hat.

Caballero

Ampadu Luiz Rudiger

Zappacosta Drinkwater Fabregas Palmieri

Willian Giroud Barkley (or Hudson-Odoi if still injured)

bert19   

I'd go: 

Caballero 

Cahill Luiz Rudiger 

Zappacosta Drinkwater Fabregas Palmieri (if fit) 

Pedro Giroud Willian 

5 hours ago, jones said:

If these eleven "B teamers", as you call them, can't beat Hull, who are fighting for relegation to L1 and are left with two left backs and three center backs since Tomori, Hector and Aina are ineligible, then I will eat my hat.

Would you like salt and pepper with that? My point of course, is that Conte is unlikely to take those sort of chances. We'll see.

jones   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Would you like salt and pepper with that? My point of course, is that Conte is unlikely to take those sort of chances. We'll see.

I definitely don't think it is taking chances. It is a first XI vastly superior to Hull, who in addition to being fighting for relegation the Championship have one available CB and no Cbs - in addition to several injuries in midfield and attack. When Rudiger, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Fabregas, Willian and Giroud are starting in the PL for us nobody is considering them B players. You could argue the fitness of Barkley and Palmieri are a concern, but if they can't start here then there was no point buying them. Luiz is, despite his bad form this season, in no position to not be good enough to start at home to a bottom Championship team. Just look at how the aging John Terry is doing for Villa this season. Ampadu started, and starred in, the league cup quarter final against PL opposition, can't see why Conte would not trust him again here.

Remember we have Barcelona four days later. 

It is not a risk. It is a pragmatic solution. And we will qualify for the next round.