• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sorry  rushed searching.  3 big games, lost them all.

Morata scored in both legs of their win over Dortmund in 2014/15 round of 16. This was a Dortmund side who had CL pedigree under Klopp although admittedly this was not the strongest version of that side. 

More importantly he scored in both legs of their semi-final win against holders Real Madrid. As mentioned above he did also get a consolation in the final loss to Barca to cap a pretty impressive CL campaign. 

paulw66   
21 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Morata scored in both legs of their win over Dortmund in 2014/15 round of 16. This was a Dortmund side who had CL pedigree under Klopp although admittedly this was not the strongest version of that side. 

More importantly he scored in both legs of their semi-final win against holders Real Madrid. As mentioned above he did also get a consolation in the final loss to Barca to cap a pretty impressive CL campaign. 

but apart from that, not used to playing in big CL games? :-)

4 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

but apart from that, not used to playing in big CL games? :-)

If I'd been making a point about Morata and 1 game next week I can see why you'd reply.

But I was making a point and 4 players and a run of 4 huge games in 3 weeks.  

23 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

....  Huge few weeks for Christensen, Alonso, Morata and Moses/the RB.  Nothing they have played in will have the importance of this.

(Morata I should say has played 2 big CL games, lost them both.  But he hasn't played Barca except for a few mins, and he has never played 2 big CL games in a season, let alone 2 within 3 weeks and with Man United and Man City in between).

So sure Morata has played more than 2 big CL games in a season.  But he has never played more than a few minutes against Barcelona in the league, or started any league games against teams as big as the Manchester pair.
Now he had 4 massive games in 22 days (and so do Alonso, Moses, Christensen and the rest of the team).

paulw66   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

If I'd been making a point about Morata and 1 game next week I can see why you'd reply.

But I was making a point and 4 players and a run of 4 huge games in 3 weeks.  

So sure Morata has played more than 2 big CL games in a season.  But he has never played more than a few minutes against Barcelona in the league, or started any league games against teams as big as the Manchester pair.
Now he had 4 massive games in 22 days (and so do Alonso, Moses, Christensen and the rest of the team).

It was just some light hearted fun

With any luck he won't be required to lead the line in all 4 games. 

I have also just noticed we have 2 away games following both CL legs. One is against Man Utd, and the other is the early Saturday kick off. Ah, the FA / Premier league........thanks again. 

BlueFizz   
On 14/02/2018 at 0:25 PM, Vinod said:

I find it very hard to make up my mind on Morata. He seems to have everything in his locker except perseverance. He shows flashes of talent and then gives up way too easily. Torres and Sheva never had it in them when they joined us. Morata is different in that regard. 

I think he has perseverance along with his other qualities - but not unlimited patience; a bit of a short fuse too. And, to my mind, refs have decided he’s a bit of a moany flopper and therefore he doesn’t get decisions in his favour that other CFs would.

Despite his age, his limited game time in the past, makes him still a prospect - one that I think will improve next season. At present I assume he’s coping with: a new country; a new set of team mates; a new coach; a new refereeing framework; a more physical culture; more frequent game time etc. Quite a load - no wonder he’s had a back ache.

With him, I’m happy, patient and confident there’s more to come.

1 hour ago, BlueFizz said:

And, to my mind, refs have decided he’s a bit of a moany flopper and therefore he doesn’t get decisions in his favour that other CFs would.

I'd agree, but I'd add that they've done so somewhat fairly. He'd so himself and the team the world of good if he only stood up.

I'm struggling to feel optimistic about this one. Heart says believe but brain says look at how they attack and how we defend. I'm expecting an absolute shoeing TBH.

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

With any luck he won't be required to lead the line in all 4 games. 

I have also just noticed we have 2 away games following both CL legs. One is against Man Utd, and the other is the early Saturday kick off. Ah, the FA / Premier league........thanks again. 

I would hope that our £60m striker starts ahead of Giroud in all CL knockout and all PL games.  And certainly these 4.  Otherwise buy 2 £30m players.

To be honest I am more concerned about the games before the CL games, and these seem pretty sensible.  Home games against a weak Hull in the Cup on Friday, and Palace on the Saturday (albeit at 5.30).

Win or lose in the first leg, I reckon the players will want to prove themselves the game after (United).  Win or lose 2nd leg, I think the players won't give a damn in the game afterwards (cup/Burnley if out).

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm struggling to feel optimistic about this one. Heart says believe but brain says look at how they attack and how we defend. I'm expecting an absolute shoeing TBH.

If we defended like RDM has us defending, I'd give us a chance, as we are at least as good now on the break away.
With RDM the rule was the man on the ball got charged - no one was allowed into our half with the ball unchallenged, and anyone or everyone would sprint out towards them.  The Conte defensive mode is often to be to fill our box but then let opponents stand on the ball outside it unchallenged.  Barca will destroy that kind of defending.
Often - though not always.  Lets hope we get it right here.

And if Barca are not a goal up after 60 mins, expect Suarez to try something very naughty - and get away with it.

We were really very good away to Athletico so we certainly have it in our locker , lets hope we can avoid a catastrophe and give a good account of ourselves over the two legs , nothing worse than going out without a whimper.

Whatever happens l'm sure the collective  media will be right behind us , just like they were with Spurs and Liverpool. 

chara   
2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Watched Barca quite a bit this season especially early in the season when Suarez couldn't buy a goal.Again of late now that he is again scoring for fun it seems.

My take on the above quote is to twist it to look how they defend and we (should) attack.

With all their attacking power Barca seem to slip into a defensive mode at times which I would call a "no defence" system.many times lesser sides catch them flat across the halfway line and but for poor finishing many a lower side would have put them on the back foot and that has happened a time or two.

I too go with the heart/brain approach although I'm sure if I can see the Barca "flaw" so can Conte but whether we can hit that breakaway properly is a question. There have been times when we were deadly at that but not at the minute.break against Barca and go into the shufflemode as everyone shuffles forward to surround the box would lead to disaster and a Messi & co feeding frenzy.

A shock Chelsea victory at home at least..there.... said it.....