• Current Donation Goals

17 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

We looked good and played well but 1) I feel that we would have done better with a striker on the pitch. 2) Willian should have had a hattrick.

1) I agree. I'd have liked Giroud instead of Pedro. We would have got more from Hazard that way.

2) I think you should change "should" to "could". He really could hardly have hit the 2 that hit the posts any better than he did. Just unlucky I reckon.

Great effort from the boys, just that one error cost us, but if we can go to their place and show the spirit of 2012, we can do it again.  Mind you, on that famous night I though I would have died from a heart attack!  For the 2nd leg, we must play a centre forward, whether it's Morata or Giroud I don't mind because we need someone to hold the ball up for us instead of it coming back at us too quickly.  Let the muppets in the press and on TV write us off,  hopefully they will be wiping the egg off their faces in two weeks time.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!!!

Christenson has rightly banked a lot of goodwill on these pages and he will probably be a future captain and lead us to many glory nights...however , let's be honest, if Bakayoko had made that pass we would be tearing him limb from limb. It was a shocking lapse of concentration in a huge game like this, and he did a similar one earlier in the game that he got away with. This mistake has put Barca right in the driving seat. I'll also say that I have seen one or two other incidents not that disimilar from him this season, but this sadly, is the one he got punished for. I'm hoping he won't forget this in a hurry, and as a coach I certainly wouldn't be putting my arm round him in consolation saying "don't worry". He's a bright lad. He will know what he's done but it needs to hurt. A performance of a lifetime in the return leg will help more than any consoling arm.

Edited by NoblyBobly

36 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Christenson has rightly banked a lot of goodwill on these pages and he will probably be a future captain and lead us to many glory nights...however , let's be honest, if Bakayoko had made that pass we would be tearing him limb from limb. It was a shocking lapse of concentration in a huge game like this, and he did a similar one earlier in the game that he got away with. This mistake has put Barca right in the driving seat. I'll also say that I have seen one or two other incidents not that disimilar from him this season, but this sadly, is the one he got punished for. I'm hoping he won't forget this in a hurry, and as a coach I certainly wouldn't be putting my arm round him in consolation saying "don't worry". He's a bright lad. He will know what he's done but it needs to hurt. A performance of a lifetime in the return leg will help more than any consoling arm.

Yes, but that's because Christenson has performed really well for us in his games whereas Baka has been really poor. They're respective performances have been chalk and cheese and that's why Christenson is getting and deserves more sympathy and consideration.

45 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Christenson has rightly banked a lot of goodwill on these pages 

True, but he has earnt  it by making v few mistakes.
I think the kind of high quality pressing by very speedy athletic AMs (as opposed to a pair of lumbering CFs) caught both sides unawares.  I feel sure we will see much of the same next game too.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yes, but that's because Christenson has performed really well for us in his games whereas Baka has been really poor. They're respective performances have been chalk and cheese and that's why Christenson is getting and deserves more sympathy and consideration.

Of course hence my opening line that he has rightly banked a lot of goodwill. We can overlook it for sure. Quite happy to, but it was his second arbitration of the game I think it's  probably put us out of a tie that we thoroughly deserved to be ahead in.  I think the sympathy and consideration he is getting is nice and more than generous. For me...I'm furious with him (and with Dave to a lesser extent).

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Of course hence my opening line that he has rightly banked a lot of goodwill. We can overlook it for sure. Quite happy to, but it was his second arbitration of the game I think it's  probably put us out of a tie that we thoroughly deserved to be ahead in.  I think the sympathy and consideration he is getting is nice and more than generous. For me...I'm furious with him (and with Dave to a lesser extent).

Well, of course it was a mistake, but everyone makes them and I don't think that it will prove pivotal to the outcome of the tie. It's a setback, but we're still well in it of we take the game to them over there I reckon.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

True, but he has earnt  it by making v few mistakes.
I think the kind of high quality pressing by very speedy athletic AMs (as opposed to a pair of lumbering CFs) caught both sides unawares.  I feel sure we will see much of the same next game too.

My pet hate for some time is what I call DAB defending (short for Dicking Around at the Back defending).  You know, Courtois rolls it out to a defender being pressed who hurriedly passes it to another (this can go on for a bit) then eventually someone passes it back to Courtois who himself is now being pressed so he hoofs it aimlessly. To be fair this didn't happen a lot in this game as it looked like Courtois had instructions to clear quickly and decisively, which he mostly did. But the first bit of DAB defending and Barca pounce on the mistake. Lesson learned? We'll see..  

7 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well, of course it was a mistake, but everyone makes them and I don't think that it will prove pivotal to the outcome of the tie. It's a setback, but we're still well in it of we take the game to them over there I reckon.

It was a mistake and even the best can make em, but I just can't read his mind on this one. Hitting a ball from near your corner flag 40 yards (low) across a line of clearly visible Barca attackers was suicidal. Ten mins to go and one nil up we were bang in this tie but Pete, that away goal is worth two. I'm pretty sure it will do for us.  

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

It was a mistake and even the best can make em, but I just can't read his mind on this one. Hitting a ball from near your corner flag 40 yards (low) across a line of clearly visible Barca attackers was suicidal. Ten mins to go and one nil up we were bang in this tie but Pete, that away goal is worth two. I'm pretty sure it will do for us.  

Well it's only worth 2 if the scores are level Nobly. You may be right of course but if we can win by the odd goal out there then we'll be through. Somehow I don't think the game will end 0-0 anyway.