• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Sea foot   

I would play Giroud. It looks to me as if the players play better with him on the pitch. It's like they feel like a team and seem more comfortable. No science, just my gut feeling.

Whosoever is chosen I would like to see both on at some time. If we need to step it up later in the game it might give them a problem as they wouldn't be expecting it as its not something we normally do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Absolutely. In fact you should adopt an attacking strategy all round I'd say. They love having the ball and being asked to break down the opposition. It's when they're forced to defend that they're vulnerable.

The problem is, to adopt an attacking approach against a team like Barcelona it requires everyone to essentially play "the perfect game". While it may work, it has arguably more of a chance going completely pear shaped and ending in a cricket score. 

The defence would need to be absolutely faultless and rise to a level we've not really seen at all this season - this is on the back of having less protection in front of them from midfield because of the more attack minded approach. It would require our midfield to be positionally and tactically in sync for 90+ minutes, while being highly efficient with the ball - this means cutting out all the unforced errors resulting in cheap turnover of the ball we've often seen. While the attack would need to press from start to finish to maintain that pressure. Which, isn't going to happen when Hazard and one of either Giroud/Morata will likely be upfront. The majority of that workload will end up falling on either Pedro/Willian in a front three system - or shared between the midfield in a front two pairing.

The other highly crucial factor to it all will be what we've largely struggled with all season - being clinical in front of goal and taking our chances. This is a huge factor either way, no matter how we approach the game. We need to make sure we take all of our chances when they come. We cannot afford to have a repeat of what we saw in the second fixture against Atletico Madrid, because a team like Barcelona have the quality to make you pay the price. 

IMO the ideal approach is found somewhere in the middle. Look to maintain our shape and discipline when we're without the ball, making ourselves as difficult to break down as possible. But once we have the ball, not to be afraid to commit bodies forward in search of a goal - although being mindful to not over-commit and leave ourselves exposed down back if possession is lost. Realistically, they'll dominate possession most of the game. So we need to be effective when we do have it and make it count. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sea foot   

Doesn't matter whether it's an attacking line up or defensive or somewhere in between, we are going to have to be on our game IMO. On our day we are well able to get a result but it's gonna have to be "on our day". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

The problem is, to adopt an attacking approach against a team like Barcelona it requires everyone to essentially play "the perfect game". While it may work, it has arguably more of a chance going completely pear shaped and ending in a cricket score. 

Why?  All it is about is playing as much of the game as possible in the oppo half and as little as poss in ours.
It requires a huge amount from the 3 AMs (which is why most clubs have more AMs than us and why AMs get paid so much more than defenders).  It requires a lot less from the defenders (which is why most clubs have just the 2 CBs).
We are only talking about playing normal football here.  Of the kind Spurs, Liverpool, City and United play.  (And Barca, PSG, BM and RM).  Not some kind of uber tactic that only Italians could understand.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sciatika   

It seems to me the kind of game where I would be tempted to put three in midfield and maybe even play for a 0-0 and look for the away goal advantage at the Camp Nou. But whenever we play that way we have not looked any more solid than we do with 2 in midfield. Somehow, being on the front foot with three up front still seems to work better. To me, it's been a bit of a conundrum all season. The 3-4-3 is better because it allows us to get our key players on the field but has become predictable and we do not seem to be able to adapt to 2 up front. Will having Giroud help? I look at their defence and think there are opportunities there. If we play with 3 in midfield I would be tempted to go for Kante and DD but slightly forward and play Cesc a little deeper but this is probably not the time for experiments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sea foot said:

Doesn't matter whether it's an attacking line up or defensive or somewhere in between, we are going to have to be on our game IMO. On our day we are well able to get a result but it's gonna have to be "on our day". 

... twice!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

It seems to me the kind of game where I would be tempted to put three in midfield and maybe even play for a 0-0 and look for the away goal advantage at the Camp Nou. But whenever we play that way we have not looked any more solid than we do with 2 in midfield. Somehow, being on the front foot with three up front still seems to work better. To me, it's been a bit of a conundrum all season. The 3-4-3 is better because it allows us to get our key players on the field but has become predictable and we do not seem to be able to adapt to 2 up front. Will having Giroud help? I look at their defence and think there are opportunities there. If we play with 3 in midfield I would be tempted to go for Kante and DD but slightly forward and play Cesc a little deeper but this is probably not the time for experiments.

Only if you think our key players are the 5 defenders, in particular the WBs Moses/Zappa and Alonso.
4 at the back and a FB goes while we keep Azpi.  And we get 3 in midfield plus Pedro or Willian who against Barca will be doing a lot of the work anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now