• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Manchester City at Etihad Stadium, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 16:00, Sunday, 4th March, 2018 (Local UK time/date).

jones   

Don't think this is a bad time to face City. Just after a cup victory, and with the league title all but sewn up, they will for sure be far from at their most focused. Plus, Fernandinho is out for a couple of weeks and Guardiola says City have "a problem" to find a replacement. And the way we have taken the lead against both Barca and United, to get poor and undeserved results, this team should be full of revenge and attacking mentality.

Expect 3-4-3 and probably Hazard as false nine. Press them high is the only way to beat them, and that calls for Pedro over Morata. Will allow Fabregas back in the team too. Zappacosta more direct than Moses, so could be interesting to set him up with Delph, even if Moses has upped his performances lately.

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Rudiger

Zappacosta Fabregas Kanté Alonso

Willian Hazard Pedro

If anyone thinks City will take this game lightly because they have a trophy and the title is all but done, then think again... Pep isn't as ruthlessly successful as he is because he takes his foot off the gas, especially against a rival. This is a very dangerous City side and if we aren't on our game, they have he ability to brush us aside.

I think Cahill will come in for this one, to give us a bit of experience at the back, I just don't know if it will be for Rudiger or Christensen... Christensen has had a couple of rocky moments in the last couple of games and if (not saying that it is) his confidence has been even slightly dented, Conte may decide to take him out for a game.

For me I would pick...

Courtois

Azpilicueta Christensen Cahill

Zappacosta Fabregas Kante Alonso

Willian Giroud Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Christensen, Moses, Emerson, Drinkwater, Pedro, Morata

I think we'll get a draw out of this one, which at this point although it doesn't help us that much, our rivals will be planning for us to lose and therefore we could arguably see it as 1 point gained in the race for top 4 (I'm trying to be positive!).

42 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

If anyone thinks City will take this game lightly because they have a trophy and the title is all but done, then think again... Pep isn't as ruthlessly successful as he is because he takes his foot off the gas, especially against a rival. This is a very dangerous City side and if we aren't on our game, they have he ability to brush us aside.

I agree it will be a very tough match.  My only question is that if Pep is that ruthless, how come City failed to even compete for the title last season with that squad.  Taking too many PL teams for granted IMO.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I agree it will be a very tough match.  My only question is that if Pep is that ruthless, how come City failed to even compete for the title last season with that squad.  Taking too many PL teams for granted IMO.

That is a fair point, but I guess just adds another reason to why they won't let up at all this season. they'll be currently eyeing up all the records they could break.

Jasonb   

With a week to prepare for this we should be able to give them a good match. TBH not sure we will though, wrong line up or subs just don't feel confident we will get anything from the game.

Slight hope: City play Arsenal again on Thursday at 19.45pm so have less than 72 hours between matches, whilst we have a full week to prepare and should have a full squad to choose from.

bert19   
36 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

With a week to prepare for this we should be able to give them a good match. TBH not sure we will though, wrong line up or subs just don't feel confident we will get anything from the game.

I'm feeling the same.  And if we lose, that'll be 4 of our last 5 league games ending in defeat.  Not confident.  

We're losing this and easily , not because we aren't good enough but because the players will be saving themselves for the Barca game with the ludicrous belief they have enough to get through the round.

At the moment , we're a good "sixty minute" team , the problem occurs when that good sixty minutes is spread over two games.

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We're losing this and easily , not because we aren't good enough but because the players will be saving themselves for the Barca game with the ludicrous belief they have enough to get through the round.

At the moment , we're a good "sixty minute" team , the problem occurs when that good sixty minutes is spread over two games.

60 mins a week.  Yes that is about it.
Still not sure if Conte holding the team back has saved this season or just limited it.  Probably a bit of both.