• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Manchester City 1 Chelsea 0

kev61   
2 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

I don't think his problem is with RA, I think it's with his advisors. I'm purely guessing as we all are, but if that's the case I want nothing other than Conte sticking to his guns and hopefully getting through to RA, it's worth a shot because this league isn't the same anymore, and we need to respond with supporting a manager with some top signings; my biggest worry is we won't and we'll end up battling Arsenal for 5th place or at best 4th.

Conte was doing fine until Morata got injured, he didn't have a replacement so he played Hazard there when possible; nothing wrong with that, if someone needs to fill in they need to fill in - if anything Hazard should repay Conte because he has let the reigns off Hazard and put more defensive responsibility on other players. Giroud has come in not fit, I think we'll probably agree that Conte wanted Dzeko but Roma were asking for too much, Conte compromised and accepted Giroud. Conte also got given Barkley who to be honest was one of the worst things the board did, the Barkley signing makes Falcao and Pato look like great decisions.

Our knee jerk reaction as a club needs to stop, fair enough if he goes he goes, but when will the day come when a manager has a bad season and we give them time to recover? When I say bad season I don't even think it's a bad season, we have lost to the best and 1 of the best teams in the league by 1 goal, which has put us in the position we are in; we win those tight games and we'd be right in the mix, we were never going to take on City regardless for the league, we haven't got the squad.

Palace H, Burnley A, Spuds H, W'Ham H, Southampton A, H'field H, Swansea A, L'pool H, N'castle A.

Win, win, draw, win, win, win, win, draw, win. Very possible and 27 points available, it is not beyond us getting 23 points out of 27. A season is 38 games and we've got through most of the difficult games, we lose to two big teams and there's major panic; even though we had a brilliant(and very unlucky) game against Barca, which showed what Conte is able to achieve.

Yep fair enough many good points - it comes down to whether Conte Want's to be here, for me...personally I don't think he cares one way or the other - he knows he can walk into  top job tomorrow in his favoured location with the financial backing he wants.

I agree we could end up fourth and that would be a decent enough season - but Conte, instead of putting his 'finger in the dyke' is prodding it with with a great big pole.

GURJ SS   
12 hours ago, kev61 said:

Yep fair enough many good points - it comes down to whether Conte Want's to be here, for me...personally I don't think he cares one way or the other - he knows he can walk into  top job tomorrow in his favoured location with the financial backing he wants.

I agree we could end up fourth and that would be a decent enough season - but Conte, instead of putting his 'finger in the dyke' is prodding it with with a great big pole.

He looks like someone that was lied to, I think he knew what sort of challenge he was coming into but I think he didn't expect it to be this bad; out of everyone from 1st to 6th he seem to be the manager with the least support from his club(that's been us for a while in my opinion). Conte comes across as a proud man with principles, and will make it clear when he feels the same effort isn't returned his way. Although he has gained my respect for not going as public as he could, it's clear that the club are making his job more difficult than it needs to be but he has been honest as possible without embarrassing us. I actually think any other manager would have gone or had us in a very bad situation, a bit like Jose did(but we've got short memories as fans and have blamed yet another manager, Jose didn't help himself but he needed the club to trust him with their money; much like Man U has). 

I think it comes across that he is, he looks like someone who has lost that passion and is disconnected, but I think it's him just hiding what he really feels, imagine him hyped and jumping as normal only to lose the game because we lack attributes/quality in certain positions of the team; he might just explode in the post match conference and blame the players/club. Instead he is quiet and has absorbed all the negatives, the papers are focusing on just 1 guy at our club and it's protecting the club and the players, that's professionalism of the top level. If tomorrow he came out and said the club didn't back him for his transfer targets and named the targets along with the players he wanted to replace them with, we'd probably all agree with him.

I think there is some nonsense talked about the club not landing our last two managers' targets. José wanted Stones and Pogba and got neither, but neither Juve nor Everton would sell. Conte wanted Sandro and Naingolan, but neither Juve nor Roma would sell. Lukaku? I certainly think we tried for him, but I'm not sorry we missed out, and I think Conte was happy to land Morata and Rudiger at least. You can say the club should have thrown silly money at them to get them, but there was no guarantee it would have worked. They certainly put in substantial bids.

The problem is that the second/ third choices we ended up with (DD, Baka, Palmeiri, Zappa) were not necessarily Conte's choices. They collectively cost a lot, they haven't strengthened the team, their resale value is questionable, and it gives the impression we are no longer signing top class players

37 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I think there is some nonsense talked about the club not landing our last two managers' targets. José wanted Stones and Pogba and got neither, but neither Juve nor Everton would sell. Conte wanted Sandro and Naingolan, but neither Juve nor Roma would sell. Lukaku?

Fake story1.  Chelsea are definitely going to by X
2.  Chelsea big £100m for X
3.  Other club rejected the bid for X
4.  Why X didn't go to Chelsea
5.  Manager furious that Chelsea failed to buy X

No takes 1 on its own seriously, but add in 2, 3, 4 & 5 and the world, and even the inventors of the story take it as gospel.

Everton and Juve, and Naingolan, were all public in stating they would not be accepting our offers, so I don't think our attempts to buy those players count as fake news.

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Everton and Juve, and Naingolan, were all public in stating they would not be accepting our offers, so I don't think our attempts to buy those players count as fake news.

But it doesn't mean we ever got close or tried to get close with a bid either.  
Didn't Everton say that they had offered Lukaku similar terms to stay as we had offered him to move on?  That sounds like not a serious bid to me.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

Interest in Nainggolan was true, he gave a few interviews about it directly, same applies to Candreva (and his agent) who addressed it in an interview during pre-season in China IIRC. Juventus confirmed our interest and offers for Alex Sandro. Vidal spoke about the interest had in him - although not sure if any official offer was made. Torino confirmed we had a 60 million offer or so turned down for Belotti at one stage. Conte spoke about wanting Walker and being priced out of a deal. And our interest in Llorente was genuine. So, there was certainly attempts made for players but either we didn't offer enough or said player/club didn't want to move or sell.

Generally everything gets denied until talks are 100% dead, and any subsequent open discussion is only proof of death.
For anyone who knows how Chelsea works, if a club announces our interest it means we walked away 2 or 3 months earlier.  

Any player over £20m will get shown to Chelsea, and for most of them we will have a price we might pay.  That is not the same as having a serious interest in anyone.  And 8 out of 10 players we buy, there is not a single rumour about our interest until 1 week before they sign.