• Current Donation Goals

9 hours ago, kev61 said:

We will have to defend for our lives and try and nick it.There is no point in playing Giroud he offers nothing against a team that will probably batter us in possession.we need a midfield that presses high from their goalkeeper..fast players like Willian Pedro and hazard - if we can stifle them before their midfield even gets the ball we have a chance.

Let them get into a groove and we are fooked.we are an inferior team so we need to stop them from playing.

Yes, but what would be the best way to stop them Kev? I would suggest spending as much time in their half as possible and that means on no account should we just try and stonewall it.

23 hours ago, Never happy said:

If Conte goes with false 9, it should be Pedro.

I hope he doesn't, it should be Giroud,Willian and Hazard..

I've got a feeling Conte will pick his little mate Bakayoko ( if he does its goodnight )

Yep, agree with that for sure.

GURJ SS   

Same starting line up as the first leg, that team had Barca beat; just an unlucky error denied us the win. The lineup gave them all sorts of problems and it will continue in the 2nd leg, it's up to the players to have a better end product, that's something that is just out of Conte's hands. Over the last few games the whole team has fluffed it in the final third no matter what the combination of forwards we've had, it's time for the players to put their moves away.

1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Same starting line up as the first leg, that team had Barca beat; just an unlucky error denied us the win. The lineup gave them all sorts of problems and it will continue in the 2nd leg, it's up to the players to have a better end product, that's something that is just out of Conte's hands. Over the last few games the whole team has fluffed it in the final third no matter what the combination of forwards we've had, it's time for the players to put their moves away.

But it's a bit different now isn't it. They have an away goal (a nil nil will suffice now for them) and they have home advantage. I guarantee you if we put the same team out as before, the game will go nothing like the one at SB. We need to soak up pressure and hit them with long balls out of defence to a target man like Giroud who can then bring into play quick players like Hazard and Willian. Hazard as a false number 9 will not get kick.

26 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But it's a bit different now isn't it. They have an away goal (a nil nil will suffice now for them) and they have home advantage. I guarantee you if we put the same team out as before, the game will go nothing like the one at SB. We need to soak up pressure and hit them with long balls out of defence to a target man like Giroud who can then bring into play quick players like Hazard and Willian. Hazard as a false number 9 will not get kick.

Don't like the idea of soaking up pressure Nobly, we'd succumb eventually I reckon. I'd prefer us to play to their weakness which is defending rather than controlling the ball and the play. Nevertheless, I do like your suggestion of hitting them with long balls up to Giroud and having him bring Hazard and Willian into play.

33 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Don't like the idea of soaking up pressure Nobly, we'd succumb eventually I reckon. I'd prefer us to play to their weakness which is defending rather than controlling the ball and the play. Nevertheless, I do like your suggestion of hitting them with long balls up to Giroud and having him bring Hazard and Willian into play.

No I don't like it either but it may be the reality and a reality we should prepare for. They will have most possession. They will pass the ball around and they will make us chase shadows. I say let them have it in certain areas and we just sit. We wait for them to make a mistake and then hit them with a lightening counter. We have the personnel to do it.  Kante is a brilliant ball winner, Fabragas can pick a 40 yard pass, Giroud does what he does and Hazard and Willian are as quick as anyone on the pitch. We just have to trust our defence to hold firm. I'm not saying it's going to be easy but it gives us a shot.     

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

No I don't like it either but it may be the reality and a reality we should prepare for. They will have most possession. They will pass the ball around and they will make us chase shadows. I say let them have it in certain areas and we just sit. We wait for them to make a mistake and then hit them with a lightening counter. We have the personnel to do it.  Kante is a brilliant ball winner, Fabragas can pick a 40 yard pass, Giroud does what he does and Hazard and Willian are as quick as anyone on the pitch. We just have to trust our defence to hold firm. I'm not saying it's going to be easy but it gives us a shot.     

Yep, fair enough. As you say, in CM and further forward we definitely have the right players to play in that way.

If they're selected of course!

12 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep, fair enough. As you say, in CM and further forward we definitely have the right players to play in that way.

If they're selected of course!

Very true. This is Conte's big opportunity to pick the right players, choose the right tactics and motivate the players. That is what he is being paid lots of money for. I'm being positive and think he will this time.  The stakes couldn't be higher and this game will appeal to him massively whether he thinks he's leaving or not. 

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

Very true. This is Conte's big opportunity to pick the right players, choose the right tactics and motivate the players. That is what he is being paid lots of money for. I'm being positive and think he will this time.  The stakes couldn't be higher and this game will appeal to him massively whether he thinks he's leaving or not. 

Maybe. I admire your optimism anyway and just hope that the players are still susceptible to his motivation.

Vinod   

A False 9 is not a non-striker playing the role of a striker. It is a player in the striker position coming deep to receive the ball, leaving space for other team mates to run into and  making relatively late runs into the box. I believe Fabregas did that very well for a while at Barcelona. 

What we have now, and this is my grouse with Conte, is Hazard playing like a real number 9. 

• Like 1