• Current Donation Goals

GURJ SS   
10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

But it's a bit different now isn't it. They have an away goal (a nil nil will suffice now for them) and they have home advantage. I guarantee you if we put the same team out as before, the game will go nothing like the one at SB. We need to soak up pressure and hit them with long balls out of defence to a target man like Giroud who can then bring into play quick players like Hazard and Willian. Hazard as a false number 9 will not get kick.

Problem is if we play Giroud they'll push a highline and he'll keep getting left behind in attacks, no striker near the box and we'll end up worse off than just playing Hazard uptop. We'll need our attacking mids to chip in with defending and if we haven't got a quick player up top our attacks will get snuffed out before they even begin. We could go with Morata but I think his form is suffering and it might be best to assess the game first.

Atleast I think it's best to start that way and see how things go, if we are doing well stick with it, but if we aren't then the change needs to come at half time instead of half a minute before full time.

I won't be disappointed to see Giroud or Morata start, but I think we need as many players as possible who have the ability to take players on rather than players who require the team to support them.

kev61   
1 hour ago, GURJ SS said:

Problem is if we play Giroud they'll push a highline and he'll keep getting left behind in attacks, no striker near the box and we'll end up worse off than just playing Hazard uptop. We'll need our attacking mids to chip in with defending and if we haven't got a quick player up top our attacks will get snuffed out before they even begin. We could go with Morata but I think his form is suffering and it might be best to assess the game first.

Atleast I think it's best to start that way and see how things go, if we are doing well stick with it, but if we aren't then the change needs to come at half time instead of half a minute before full time.

I won't be disappointed to see Giroud or Morata start, but I think we need as many players as possible who have the ability to take players on rather than players who require the team to support them.

And this is it - If we play with morata or Giroud we are guaranteed if the ball is lumped up to him it will come back to us with little resistance.We need hazard Willian and Pedro snapping at their heels from their box and hoping they will make a mistake that we score from.

Good to see utd lose.It seems the utd supporters are gathering outside the Lowry hotel with pitchforks and torches!..great stuff.

4 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Hazard said something like after City game "if I'd had played for 3 hours I wouldn't have touched the ball".  I can see that scenario happening again. 

I'd play a back 5 and tell the wing backs to forget roaming around up field as they are now essentially full backs. I'd play two holding midfielders in front of back five.  I'd also tell Willian he has important defensive duties when needed. If Barca can play through those 8 then good for them, they will deserve their victory.  Giroud and Hazard remain out and out attackers. That will give the Barca back line more than enough to think about and will also enable us to play the long ball and it not come straight back every time.

xCELERYx   
35 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Hazard said something like after City game "if I'd had played for 3 hours I wouldn't have touched the ball".  I can see that scenario happening again. 

I'd play a back 5 and tell the wing backs to forget roaming around up field as they are now essentially full backs. I'd play two holding midfielders in front of back five.  I'd also tell Willian he has important defensive duties when needed. If Barca can play through those 8 then good for them, they will deserve their victory.  Giroud and Hazard remain out and out attackers. That will give the Barca back line more than enough to think about and will also enable us to play the long ball and it not come straight back every time.

Two main factors will determine if that happens again or not, one of which Hazard has complete control over. First being, how hard he works off the ball. If he closes down, makes runs and moves around off the ball and becomes a bit of a general nuisance, then it at least gives those around him something upfront. If he does, then it lets the team down as a whole. The other is those around him being efficient with the ball. We cannot afford Willian and Pedro (if he's partnered with both) to have so many misplaced passes when we're breaking forward or building up our attack - 50% and 69% pass completion rates from our other forward players isn't going to cut it. 

As I originally said in the first leg thread. We have to be faultless to get anything from this tie. That means, the defence needs to be mistake free for 90+ minutes. While our attack needs to be proficient and clinical. Barcelona will dominate possession, so it's going to be vital that when we do have the ball and create something in the final third, we take those opportunities with both hands. They're an unforgiving team with quality throughout. While our performance in the first leg was commendable, we didn't take all the good chances we had (albeit it, we were unlucky a couple of times). Then the one defensive mistake we did make was punished, despite them barely having a sniff all game. Those are the fine margins we have to work with and nothing has changed for this second leg. 

Given the performance we had in the first game it would be understandable if we altered little to begin with going into the away leg. Although there has to be temptation to play Giroud from the start just to add a bit more of a focal point. But it would come with the sacrifice of being able to completely press with our front three - in which Hazard being dropped, while a gutsy call, would make sense tactically if Conte wants to maintain some forward pressure through the far harder working Willian and Pedro.

I'm sure there will be complaints either way by some section regarding team selection or tactical setup - irrespective of what happens.

Edited by xCELERYx

Holymoly   

We need to score at least once (and probably several more if we're being realistic). With our manager's lack of faith in the club's strikers I really can't see this going well.

False 9 ?

I'm more worried about our False 8 playing.

We have to win. No more false 9.

Courtois

Dave Christensen Rudiger

Moses Fabregas Kante Alonso

Willian Giroud Hazard

Up for this. Chelsea against the odds. As always.

Back 4

Fabregas Kante

Pedro Hazard Willian 

Giroud 

No debate about playing a false 9 or Giroud. Play all out best players and play some football.

Sciatika   

^ Think we would not get enough width without the WBs. However, more important is that it would be unfamiliar to the players. Even hours spent in training would not make a new formation cohesive enough to take on Barce.

God alone knows how Conte must be feeling , he's standing on a precipice and almost whatever formation and personnel he chooses will be deemed wrong , even if he wins ugly.