• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

Hazard needs to be left out, he still looks like he's trying not to get injured so he doesn't miss the World Cup..

so leave him out for this and give him a kick up the backside and tell him to start trying again, by picking him for the semi final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well my friend, I fear your so far off the mark here that you're almost on another website. Let's just talk about your back line.

Rudiger is now sitting on the naughty step next to David Luiz for starters, Azpi will probably play at left back rather than risk Emerson for more than three minutes on a football pitch (and Azpi is clearly designed as a CB not a FB) and anyway where did you get the crazy insane idea that Conte is going to go for a back four!!! A brief scan over the pages of this forum recently will tell you that is suicide :

a) we don't have the personnel to do it

b) if we did it still wouldn't work and we'd lose by even more goals

c) It's just not trendy anymore

d) we don't want evidence that we have wasted half a season without Luiz, on a trendy system that simply can't work without Luiz in that system, and in the process drop like a stone out of the top four. 

Conte would be two sandwiches short of a picnic to suddenly re-install that system now!! (nice try though)

 

I don't expect to see that formation or lineup, but predicting a Conte team these days just isn't fun. Same formation and same player every time - barring maybe a change or two every few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I genuinely don't know much about this game or its formation coz I have only seen brief highlights. The match thread was strangely useless for info too! I know we switched to a four ...did we then go back to a five? How did we line up to start with? It sounds like the infamous Arsenal game last season when he changed from 4 to 3 at half time.  

He switched to a back 4 when Pedro and Giroud came on, with Hazard playing behind Giroud, Willian left and Pedro right in a 4411 or 4231. Suddenly we had lots of bodies in attacking positions and the opposition couldn't get out.

Then Moses came on for Hazard in the last 10, we went back to wing backs and immediately invited pressure on ourselves again. Just as Rüdiger describes it!

If you're not very good at defending you should play on the front foot (opposition half) - see City, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ham said:

Did anyone actually see/hear what Rudiger said?

It was absolutely nothing. It sounded more like he was criticising himself and teammates and not Conte. "Why do we keep letting teams back into it when we're 1-0 up" was the gyst.

He really isn't helping himself and I can't wait for him to go now. He's contracting Mourinho-like traits and I don't like it.

 

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

To be fair, we only have the tabloids' words that was the reason why Rudiger wasn't involved yesterday. A player fails to make the match-day squad and journalists who rarely have something good to say about Chelsea find an angle with which to lambast the manager further. Well there's a surprise!

I did see a suggestion that Rudiger said much more behind the scenes to Conte, certainly that would make a lot more sense as an explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

He switched to a back 4 when Pedro and Giroud came on, with Hazard playing behind Giroud, Willian left and Pedro right in a 4411 or 4231. Suddenly we had lots of bodies in attacking positions and the opposition couldn't get out.

Then Moses came on for Hazard in the last 10, we went back to wing backs and immediately invited pressure on ourselves again. Just as Rüdiger describes it!

If you're not very good at defending you should play on the front foot (opposition half) - see City, Tottenham and Liverpool.

Thanks, thats interesting. I''l try and watch the whole game when I have a couple hours spare. 

As great as the swop to three at the back was last season (in the speed that it worked), without Luiz I feel it's  a busted flush. 

Everyone has sussed us out and as you say, it seems to invite pressure. I would really love to see a whole game with a back four to gauge the difference in systems. 

Also for the first time in quite a while I saw a chelsea player (Willian) attack the flank and get in behind the defence so the ball could be pulled back into the danger area rather than us weaving our way through tippytappy style. . It led straight to a goal (which will often be the case). Over recent years this tactic has been all but consigned to the dustbin for us and I really don't know why.

Edited by NoblyBobly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Thanks, thats interesting. I''l try and watch the whole game when I have a couple hours spare. 

As great as the swop to three at the back was last season (in the speed that it worked), without Luiz I feel it's  a busted flush. 

Everyone has sussed us out and as you say, it seems to invite pressure. I would really love to see a whole game with a back four to gauge the difference in systems. 

Yes without Luiz the back 3 is too passive. Christensen is an excellent defender but he's not particularly creative with his passing nor is he willing to gamble so much to make an interception. He does have it in him to step out and become an extra midfielder but at this stage of his career he's naturally more cautious.

I'd like to see our back 3 become a back 2 with 1 in front - who shouldn't be Kanté. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chiswickblue said:

Yes without Luiz the back 3 is too passive. Christensen is an excellent defender but he's not particularly creative with his passing nor is he willing to gamble so much to make an interception. He does have it in him to step out and become an extra midfielder but at this stage of his career he's naturally more cautious.

I'd like to see our back 3 become a back 2 with 1 in front - who shouldn't be Kanté. 

Really..interesting thought ? Who do you suggest? Luiz perhaps? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Really..interesting thought ? Who do you suggest? Luiz perhaps? 

Luiz would be great, otherwise I think Drinkwater is the best option - he has the discipline and range of pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Luiz would be great, otherwise I think Drinkwater is the best option - he has the discipline and range of pass.

...and Kante would be playing in a midfield four? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
14 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

 

Also for the first time in quite a while I saw a chelsea player (Willian) attack the flank and get in behind the defence so the ball could be pulled back into the danger area rather than us weaving our way through tippytappy style. . It led straight to a goal (which will often be the case). Over recent years this tactic has been all but consigned to the dustbin for us and I really don't know why.

Of course it helps when you have more bodies in the box to pick out. 

Willian got the cross in, and there was Hazard, Pedro and Giroud all in the box. They way we have been set up previously, a player gets to the byline cuts it back, with one forward waiting with 4 or 5 defenders. 

The goal was a perfect by product of the formation switch. We really don't need 3 CBs marking 1 CF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.