• Current Donation Goals

jones   
18 minutes ago, Ham said:

Agree about 10%.

All of this is said with the benefit of hindsight. Nobody foresaw the car crash that Bakayoko has become. RLC is proving still that he's lazy on the pitch. His form is also erratic.

Drinkwater is not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. He needs a run in the team. I honestly believe that the next Chalobah brother is a better prospect than the last. Nat hasn't set the world alight.

I'm still reserving judgement on Barkley.  He could still be shrewd business. He's still young. 

CHO is a breath of fresh air. I love him. He's got plenty of time. 

Football is about results, and these things are evaluated in hindsight. Our transfer window has been shocking. Nobody could foresee Bakayoko car crash? Not true, a lot of people were skeptical. Regardless, it does not make it anything else than a bad investment. 

kev61   

No need for a kasparov  vs fischer approach.Burnley are a weaker team,Giroud is better than morata,rudiger is better than cahill and Zappacosta is better than moses.

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, jones said:

Football is about results, and these things are evaluated in hindsight. Our transfer window has been shocking. Nobody could foresee Bakayoko car crash? Not true, a lot of people were skeptical. Regardless, it does not make it anything else than a bad investment. 

There's also an element of smart decision making and understanding your environment. We've none absolutely neither. I mean, some here still actually think Morata will come good and that these performances are only new this season. 

Ultimately, we purchased too many substandard players that were never going to immediately improve us. Players that don't actually fit well within the managers system to begin with, and weren't actually fit and required extra time to be integrated - and players that simply don't mesh well as a combined unit because of their limitations. Not to mention this hell bent notion of having to buy largely within a certain age bracket that's based on potential with re-sale value, over immediate quality. 

Not much of that is hindsight.

jones   

I am one of those who believe, not necessarily think, Morata can come good. He was on fire in the beginning, and his struggles have come at a time with injuries. He clearly lacks confidence (missing sitters) and experience (too easily bullied and wound up). Confidence can come as sudden as it can plummet, and with a manager change and new system in the summer, Morata will be in a way better position at the start of next season. I dont believe he will ever be the talismanic CF Drogba and costa were for us, but be more like the CF Firmino is for Liverpool: consistent, fluid and tactically reliable. It took him some time to get there, and I hope we give Morata at least another season. Although, not in the all eggs in one basket kind of way, he should feel the conpetition from both Giroud and Michy.

Holymoly   

Ahh the quintessential rainy midweek night in Burnley. Hopefully the weather in the north west will have picked up a bit.

7 hours ago, Gormangorman said:

Again, it's all in the reporting.

He said that Burnley had had a great season and that Dyche has done a great job , he then said that the expectations on their respective clubs were different , Dyche is expected not to get Burnley relegated , if Dyche doesn't win the Fa Cup or the Carabou cup or the League or qualify for the Champions League his job is safe.

Poor old Antonio has been losing his job since the first game of the season. ( hilariously against Burnley)

Edited by Mark Kelly

8 hours ago, Gormangorman said:

Astonishing? Incredible? Attack? A monumental beat up, more like. If that gets them worked up, then i can only imagine that they're simple minded.

On 4/17/2018 at 5:20 PM, jones said:

Confidence can come as sudden as it can plummet, and with a manager change and new system in the summer, Morata will be in a way better position at the start of next season.

And what if there's no new manager and no new system in the summer? Still back Morata to come good? Serious question.

Blue Rod   
On 16/04/2018 at 6:58 PM, jones said:

Yeah, it really is astonishing how we spent 90m on Barkley, Bakayoko and Drinkwater who have made absolutely minimal impact (if any) this season. I think RLC could have done better than Bakayoko if given the same amount of trust, Chalobah would have done no worse than Drinkwater (and would probably still be happy with the amount of game time), and the 130 minutes Barkley would be better spent at CHO. 

Refraining from buying those three players would not have us in any worse league position, RLC and Chalobah would likely be even better players than today and even more integrated in the team, and we could spend the 90mp on a world class CM this summer.

That being said, the 90mp spent would probably give us at least 70mp if we decided to liquidate this summer. But still, too much time and money mistakenly invested. You will never hit with every signing you make, but our hit rate lately has been horrible. Rudiger and Morata gets a ok from me, but the three others have failed magnificently.

Rudiger is okay. But I struggle to say that about Morata. In the PL a No 9 must be able to hold the ball and must be able to finish. Being able to dribble is desirable.  I cannot say that Morata impresses in any of the above. 

As for the rest of the signings, the moment we signed Fabregas I knew we were going backwards. Diego Costa's runs brought out the best in Fabregas. But it also blinded everyone to the truth; that he is actually a player of limited midfield skills. Once you take away his middle and long passes, there isn't much left in Fabregas as a midfielder.  

Since Fabregas, the midfield signing has got worse by every player.