• Current Donation Goals

I thought he didn't deserve to be the keeper that finally lost to spurs. Courtois could happily wear that burden.

Not his best yesterday Willy but austin barged him which is a foul. Yep couple of ropey kick outs but the one that hit the post was not his fault was good play by southampton.

10 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It appears a lot of people have had enough ? What ? Enough of Cup finals ? 

Mind you as a Conte apologist I suppose I would say that.

Post butchered to save duplication more than anything else ... I'm glad the expression 'Conte apologist' is taking. If I was being provocative I might say there's a dollop or irony in the first quoted sentence given some of the criticism I've seen aimed at the very recently very fabulously successful club ...

My take on the Willian/Bakayoko sub is that the ire is mostly just standard football-fans-are-fickle guff; Willian is fairly popular and an attacking player (and was decent enough yesterday IMO), Bakayoko is nominally defensive and, while also seemingly genuinely sh*te, a bit of a lightning rod. We're not winning many games, playing well or able to win any of the bigger trophies, so supporters are generally less happy with Conte than they were when we were those things even though to my eye there's no real difference between anything he's doing now and was doing when results were better. 

If we're winning games, it's a eyebrow gently raised, possibly even a masterstroke. Now we're not doing that as much, it's a bonkers substitution. Some people here have had doubts about Conte's way even when the results were good, others have very much backed him when the results are bad, so I'm not describing everyone here.

jones   
4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I thought he had a poor game , he's better than that usually imho , but I am horribly biased against Courtois so don't take my word for it. ,-)

Hah, fair enough. Courtois has done very little, other than being a good GK, to earn the love of the fans. But if he signed a new contract and was happy about that, I think that would be the best without a doubt. Very few upgrades on him out there, and I can't see anyone who is available (other than potentially Oblak).

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Post butchered to save duplication more than anything else ... I'm glad the expression 'Conte apologist' is taking. If I was being provocative I might say there's a dollop or irony in the first quoted sentence given some of the criticism I've seen aimed at the very recently very fabulously successful club.

If we're winning games, it's a eyebrow gently raised, possibly even a masterstroke. 

We did win the game though so we'll go with masterstroke then .

I think the Conte apologist quote stuck because it's nonsense .

On here there's probably just XceleryX and myself who seemingly ever stand up for the manager and both of us have given due criticism when he deserved it . 

Go back to the Man City game and see just how scathing I was then .

I personally stuck with Mourinho at the time too , believing that he was ill served by the board and as you know , I feel the same lack of support is now causing the friction with Conte .

He won the league last year and warned everyone at the club what could happen if they didn't address the imminent issues with the squad , they chose to ignore him and look where we are .

However , what really gets my goat is all the guesswork and conjecture that instantly becomes fact when it can be used as a stick to beat Conte with .

Getting rid of Costa , getting rid of Matic , getting rid of Luiz , filling the team with defenders , not changing anything etc etc .

I'm also perfectly aware of ploughing a lone furrow when it comes to my opinion of the board and Courtois .

Flawed opinion maybe but truly believed and held.

^ You aren't anything close to your own on Courtois and the board as far as I can see. Not exactly going over the trenches backing Conte, either. Suppose my point was that the majority of people's satisfaction with a manager comes purely down to what the results are and not necessarily what the manager is doing that contributes to them. If nothing else, you and I at least seem to base our views on Conte on more than the form book. 

Edited by thevelourfog
Mistake

Sciatika   
11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

On here there's probably just XceleryX and myself who seemingly ever stand up for the manager and both of us have given due criticism when he deserved it .

I think the majority of fans I meet (not necessarily here) want him to stay for another year though that may only be a small majority. Sometimes, criticism is fair and sometimes not.

12 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I want Conte to stay and would like him to get off his high horse and coach the squad, make full use of the resources available to him including the academy and loan players, also recommend to the board to bin Courtois in the summer :0)