• Current Donation Goals

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

As usual, not sure what you're carrying on about. And nothing to do with what he has, or hasn't spent to-date. A simple question as to why he doesn't/can't do the same as Man City. He has the connections and companies, surely, so it must be that he simply doesn't want to. Or, maybe he's lost interest and can't be bothered - yes/no? 

Or maybe if Cobham was suddenly renamed as "Sibneft Training Ground" at a cost of GBP 200m, I am fairly certain UEFA would find away of chucking the book at us. 

Different clubs are treated differently. How many times this year have City been accused of buying the title? Never. They just say Guardiola is an amazing coach. he spent £130m on full backs alone. Imagine if we did that? 

2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

As usual, not sure what you're carrying on about. And nothing to do with what he has, or hasn't spent to-date. A simple question as to why he doesn't/can't do the same as Man City. He has the connections and companies, surely, so it must be that he simply doesn't want to. Or, maybe he's lost interest and can't be bothered - yes/no? 

Nearly there.  He just stopped throwing more money at the club.  Doesn't mean he lost interest, just that he expects it to be self financing.  So would I 15 years in.   

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Or maybe if Cobham was suddenly renamed as "Sibneft Training Ground" at a cost of GBP 200m, I am fairly certain UEFA would find away of chucking the book at us. 

Different clubs are treated differently. How many times this year have City been accused of buying the title? Never. They just say Guardiola is an amazing coach. he spent £130m on full backs alone. Imagine if we did that? 

All very true (apart from the Sibneft reference - it was sold back in 2005).
But it misses the point - RA doesn't use accounting tricks to gift the club money because he no longer fits the club money.  The child has grown up.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

How much have we spent on fullbacks since Ashley Cole left? Off the top of my head:

Luis 16m

Alonso 23m

Baba 18m

Emerson 23m

Zappacosta 20m

(Figures are only my rough recollection).

I bet I've overlooked someone...

• Like 1

paulw66   
16 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

How much have we spent on fullbacks since Ashley Cole left? Off the top of my head:

Luis 16m

Alonso 23m

Baba 18m

Emerson 23m

Zappacosta 20m

(Figures are only my rough recollection).

I bet I've overlooked someone...

Yup. Not in one window though, which was my point. 

We have also recovered the money spent on Luis, plus we sold Bertrand. I expect Baba will be moved on too quite shortly 

City gave their full backs away - Zabaleta, Clichy, Kolorav.........and then spent north of £100m in one go. 

paulw66   
59 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

All very true (apart from the Sibneft reference - it was sold back in 2005).
But it misses the point - RA doesn't use accounting tricks to gift the club money because he no longer fits the club money.  The child has grown up.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make, if delivering it poorly. 

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Maybe RA isn't as unethical as the press have tried to make him seem over the last 15 years or so. 

Whatever it is, he does seem to have had a pretty well thought out plan for us and he also seems like a very sharp businessman as well.

How he responds to Man City changing the game somewhat in England is going to be very interesting. Honestly, we have coped very well with them coming on the scene since 08 IMO. 

Of course, now theyve also got a top class manager at the helm in addition to bags of money. Roman has never seemed very interested in managers except Mourinho tbh. 

The good news is that Guardiola is already giving hints that he is leaving soon, so this may all be irrelevant in a year or 2.

Ham   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, the City revenue is completely false in terms of "generating" revenue from true 3rd parties NOT connected to the owner.

The revenue increase year on year has been fantastic at Chelsea, which all started with Kenyon. Not the area we should be critical of IMO

It's not at all necessary to point out to me that their revenue figure is boosted to a ridiculous extent by nepotism as I've been their biggest critic on here for a few years.

When our new marketing man was appointed recently his brief was to increase the number of actual sponsors by more than 100% and so that's one way we should be looking to increase revenue legitimately.

On the subject of stadium and training ground naming rights we have a choice to either go down the same route as ADFC and reimagine sponsorships in a creative way to justify a spending figure or we actually do it properly with real, unconnected companies.

If it means competing in each window I don't care if train at the the Beats by Dr Dre training complex and play at the Haribo Stadium. I'll still call them Cobham and Stamford Bridge. 

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Of course, now theyve also got a top class manager at the helm in addition to bags of money. Roman has never seemed very interested in managers except Mourinho tbh. 

???????????????  And Scolari, and CA, and AVB and Conte.  All big names acquired with reportedly big offers.
True only JM and Conte have worked out.  True too that RA has moved non-performing managers on very very quickly.  But plenty of evidence there he is interested in managers.

48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

???????????????  And Scolari, and CA, and AVB and Conte.  All big names acquired with reportedly big offers.
True only JM and Conte have worked out.  True too that RA has moved non-performing managers on very very quickly.  But plenty of evidence there he is interested in managers.

Meant in terms of valuing them enough to put up with any shortcomings he may have judged them to have had. Scolari, AVB and CA all got the sack pretty soon after things started to go south.

Mourinho got the sack but then RA quite clearly wanted him back enough to hire him a second time, then Mourinho's team finished third his first season back but yet he got quite the bit of backing and went on to win the league. Even in his third season when things fell off, Roman seemed at pains to let him go IMO. 

City's owners in comparison have made some pretty silly moves with managers - for example backing Hughes, and with Pellegrini they chose to stick with him when he was quite clearly struggling with the team. Even Mancini won the league only at the very last minute. 

Comparitively Roman (rightly so IMO) has not shown the same faith in a lot of the guys he's brought on to manage the squad. His success at the club has proven that he has made the right decisions almost every time (though I didn't see much improvement with Hiddink at the helm the second time, and I dont think Mourinho would have finished anything BUT first last season with virtually the same team and having no UCL football).

57 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Meant in terms of valuing them enough to put up with any shortcomings he may have judged them to have had. Scolari, AVB and CA all got the sack pretty soon after things started to go south.

3 of the best decisions we ever made - on a par with buying Kante.
(I think on re-reading your last post we are in agreement here)