• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

3 of the best decisions we ever made - on a par with buying Kante.
(I think on re-reading your last post we are in agreement here)

Yeah removing a manager who won the double and came second the following season. 

Those were the days when the bar was high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Yeah removing a manager who won the double and came second the following season. 

Those were the days when the bar was high.

71 points in 2011 was a disaster.  Calling it 2nd (=) doesn't make it any better.  Embarrassed by JM at Inter in the CL too.

Even the 2010 title was just a 3 point improvement on Scolari a season before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

71 points in 2011 was a disaster.  Calling it 2nd (=) doesn't make it any better.  Embarrassed by JM at Inter in the CL too.

Even the 2010 title was just a 3 point improvement on Scolari a season before.

Well, Scolari / Hiddink.

Hiddink's incredible run got us to a respectable points tally in 2009. 11 wins from 13 I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, paulw66 said:

Well, Scolari / Hiddink.

Hiddink's incredible run got us to a respectable points tally in 2009. 11 wins from 13 I think

Sure - great team that was.  Perhaps I should have compared CA with Hiddink alone.  What does that look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sure - great team that was.  Perhaps I should have compared CA with Hiddink alone.  What does that look like?

You could, but a 13 games sample is hardly a big enough to compare properly, particularly when it was after CL elimination, and playing one game a week. Not saying GH wasn't a great coach, but it is fantasy / guess work / naive to suggest that we would have won 11 out of every 13 over the entire season

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well, Scolari / Hiddink.

Hiddink's incredible run got us to a respectable points tally in 2009. 11 wins from 13 I think

And the FA cup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

Roma have gifted two goals to Liverpool with awful errors. At this rate they'll be able to start resting key players at half time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
On 01/05/2018 at 10:09 PM, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Meant in terms of valuing them enough to put up with any shortcomings he may have judged them to have had. Scolari, AVB and CA all got the sack pretty soon after things started to go south.

Mourinho got the sack but then RA quite clearly wanted him back enough to hire him a second time, then Mourinho's team finished third his first season back but yet he got quite the bit of backing and went on to win the league. Even in his third season when things fell off, Roman seemed at pains to let him go IMO. 

City's owners in comparison have made some pretty silly moves with managers - for example backing Hughes, and with Pellegrini they chose to stick with him when he was quite clearly struggling with the team. Even Mancini won the league only at the very last minute. 

Comparitively Roman (rightly so IMO) has not shown the same faith in a lot of the guys he's brought on to manage the squad. His success at the club has proven that he has made the right decisions almost every time (though I didn't see much improvement with Hiddink at the helm the second time, and I dont think Mourinho would have finished anything BUT first last season with virtually the same team and having no UCL football).

Couldn't agree with you  more. The fact that no manager who has been sacked by Abramovich has ever come back to haunt Chelsea tells you a lot about the cleverness of Mr RA. 

Basically, we sacked them when they deserved to be sacked. If we had kept them for another 4 years some of them might have reinvented themselves. But that is more of gambling than rational decision making. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are definitely going to have a good 20-30 minute spell where we dominate them. Can we make that spell count for once though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

Couldn't agree with you  more. The fact that no manager who has been sacked by Abramovich has ever come back to haunt Chelsea tells you a lot about the cleverness of Mr RA. 

Basically, we sacked them when they deserved to be sacked. If we had kept them for another 4 years some of them might have reinvented themselves. But that is more of gambling than rational decision making. 

I seem to recall a certain CL tie against Inter though.
But yes.  And I think the club splashes out big on managers just when they think the squad is ready to win stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.