• Current Donation Goals

3 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

I don't think that was the case with the Conte - Costa fallout though was it? There was no threat to Conte's position when the fracas occurred between them. If it did happen as it was reported,  with Costa being informed by a text message that he wouldn't be required for the next season. 

We really don't know what happened or indeed when - but if there was a trigger to his departure (and the Morata arrival on July 19)  it was certainly before we were champions, and a long time before the text message.

16 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Anyway, all in the past now. If Conte were to go I haven't a clue who should be next. Some of the names sound alright, but they are just that - names and no more really, to me.

Am I really the only person here who feels certain Conte's next job was settled before Christmas?

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

We really don't know what happened or indeed when - but if there was a trigger to his departure (and the Morata arrival on July 19)  it was certainly before we were champions, and a long time before the text message.

Am I really the only person here who feels certain Conte's next job was settled before Christmas?

Well maybe you are, I don't know. Which club do you think he's bound for?

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Unfortunately this is quite untrue.  The team may be the best, but the function of the academy is to provide top class players - not junior teams.  That means is it rated on the best 1 or 2 people it produces each year, not whether it can turn out 15 -18 players all above a basic minimum.  Christensen is the only player to date that close to being a first team regular.  

It’s should be interesting to see how many ex-academy players are in Southgate’s WC squad. 

15 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

It’s should be interesting to see how many ex-academy players are in Southgate’s WC squad. 

Sure - but my guess is that it will be just Ryan Bertrand who spent 7 years at Gillingham, 1 in our academy and then went on loans.  But no doubt it will be claimed as a Chelsea success.  Southampton's Academy will have 3 or 4.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No. You and me have both said this for a while now. 

I still think the board would happily keep him but he made his mind up the moment he didn't extend his contract and was probably being tapped up last summer, hence the pay rise but no extension. 

I fully expect him to leave by mutual consent and be with another club within weeks. 

paulw66   
7 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

It's a very poor England squad, so doesn't say a lot one way or the other. 

BlueWill   
On 10/05/2018 at 0:34 PM, xCELERYx said:

That last bit sums up something I've been saying for quite some time. We're simply not that great of a side any more. The quality of our team has regressed each of the last few seasons since we essentially moved on the "old guard". In that time we've patched over those problems, which is why we've been heavily inconsistent since. 

Finishing 5th isn't a disaster and roughly where I predicted us to finish originally. We certainly weren't going to win the league or genuinely challenge, irrespective of our success last season. As fans, we've been spoiled over the last 10 years or so. This has generated a sense of entitlement within a portion, who expect that same level of success despite not having the same quality of squad, and the football world changing in general. The blue tinted glasses effect. 

The same people pinning everything on Conte will be the same lot who pin everything on the next manager and so forth. Player accountability doesn't exist. Yet, that's where a bulk of our problems clearly lie.

In this thread that surely is where the blame lies given his farcical selection. Whilst he persists with Cesc partnering Kante he's nowhere to hide as it plays to both player's weaknesses whilst negating their strengths - even Blind Pugh would see that! That is made worse by starting Zappa ahead of Moses and starting the lamentable Pedro. Giroud had to be punished for ignoring AC to run and hug DL in celebration of a goal and if Christensen can't cope against these, that really does pose serious questions.

BlueWill   
On 10/05/2018 at 2:44 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think you will find that that is because our WBs get forward more than the FBs of our peers, or are any better.  Just we have fewer AMs to compete with them for chances.

Really?

Discount the flukey face goal. 3 of the other 6 have been direct free kicks (he's a monoppoly on right side free kicks around the oppo box), he has one header from a corner which our AM would not be challenging for. His open play goal vs spuds was in the striker's area, as was his goal v L'Arse.

9 minutes ago, BlueWill said:

Really?

Discount the flukey face goal. 3 of the other 6 have been direct free kicks (he's a monoppoly on right side free kicks around the oppo box), he has one header from a corner which our AM would not be challenging for. His open play goal vs spuds was in the striker's area, as was his goal v L'Arse.

Are we making the same point here?  I think so.

GURJ SS   
23 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well of course it is budget.  We could only compete with City while they were being incompetent spenders, and won't get anywhere near them for many years.  
Man U got 89 points in both of SAF's last 2 seasons, and haven't got beyond 70 points since.  Now they are on 78 with 1 game to go.  The team is mostly young.  Competing with Man U from now on will be v hard.
We had a great plan - buy young talent in 2011-14, buy harden pros to fill the gaps in 2014-17.
It worked brilliantly.  
But we are back at the beginning of the cycle again now, and buying talent is not nearly as easy or cheap as it was then.

I don't think it's the budget if we're talking about players and quality. We've lost top quality/potential and replaced them with players who aren't good enough. Take the players we've lost in the last 5 years and add them to the current squad in place of our lesser quality players; and we look just like city do right now. It was bad business by chasing profits, we were a club aiming to reach the heights of Europe's elite but we ended up being a better version of Southampton FC.

Budget only comes into it when we get outbid directly for players, thing is we can't even say if that's happened recently because nobody else has wanted the players we've acquired. 

Edited by GURJ SS