• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Conte, stay or go?

Rob B   
3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

No.

Why would we pay him anything if he went to another club whilst under contract to us?

What Bob is trying to say is there’s hardly any financial difference between sacking him after the cup final, and him leaving of his own accord today. (About 3 weeks wages in fact)

The £9m he reportedly gets if we sack him,  is paid weekly/monthly until he finds another job.  So effectively, he’d only get the full amount if he was out of work for 12 months 

Edited by Rob B

8 hours ago, Rob B said:

What Bob is trying to say is there’s hardly any financial difference between sacking him after the cup final, and him leaving of his own accord today. (About 3 weeks wages in fact)

The £9m he reportedly gets if we sack him,  is paid weekly/monthly until he finds another job.  So effectively, he’d only get the full amount if he was out of work for 12 months 

Yes but no other club has wanted him so it very much looks like he will be out of work for a while.  Maybe we have waited to see if he was wanted by any of the various clubs that have changed manager before sacking him? If he was we would have paid him nothing and potentially got some compensation. 

If we sacked him three weeks ago then we would be paying him his full wages until he can find another club, which now looks like it could be some time.

Waiting to see if he was wanted by anyone else surely makes sense with the amount of managerial changes we have already seen?

Holymoly   
5 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Waiting to see if he was wanted by anyone else surely makes sense with the amount of managerial changes we have already seen?

Except that in the meantime players are becoming unsettled by the uncertainty and the likelyhood of any players being acquired that would be acceptable to whoever is in charge is becoming less by the day.

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Except that in the meantime players are becoming unsettled by the uncertainty and the likelyhood of any players being acquired that would be acceptable to whoever is in charge is becoming less by the day.

Are they? I seriously doubt that. They're professionals, and manager movements have been a big (and regular) part of their lives every since they started playing. i think that you're confusing our 'players' with some of the people on these forums, tbh.

10 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

They will all either be on holiday or at the world cup. I doubt they are becoming unsettled.  Some may already be unsettled but I can't imagine this delay is making it any worse.

In terms of transfers not much has happened or will happen until after the world cup so o d9ubt it makes any difference to us acquiring players.

43 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

They will all either be on holiday or at the world cup. I doubt they are becoming unsettled.  Some may already be unsettled but I can't imagine this delay is making it any worse.

In terms of transfers not much has happened or will happen until after the world cup so o d9ubt it makes any difference to us acquiring players.

Lets hope we know what we're doing then as the World Cup Final takes place on 15th July and the transfer window closes on the 9th August .

28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Lets hope we know what we're doing then as the World Cup Final takes place on 15th July and the transfer window closes on the 9th August .

Indeed. It is probably the worst time to potentially change manager with the world cup and the transfer window closing early.

Fortunately I don't think we need that much, if we keep what we've got. 2 or 3 players for the first team and I think we will be ok. Martial wants to leave, Seri has a buy out clause so that's two deals that would  be relatively straightforward, should we chose to go for them. They would also be the type of signings that could potentially persuade Hazard to stay.

The flip side to that is we keep Conte, Hazard Courtois Luiz and Willian all leave and we have a major job on our hands, a manager and board that don't get on and a very short space of time to get anything done. Keeping Conte at this stage, whatever people think and however much they like him and think he should be given another go, could be catastrophic. 

12 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

The flip side to that is we keep Conte, Hazard Courtois Luiz and Willian all leave and we have a major job on our hands, a manager and board that don't get on and a very short space of time to get anything done. Keeping Conte at this stage, whatever people think and however much they like him and think he should be given another go, could be catastrophic. 

Given the fact we're continuing to make a loss , it wouldn't surprise me if the players you mentioned are sold at profit and part of the money is used to add a few players on the cheap and the rest used to balance the books and appease FFP whilst making Conte look like the man who drove Hazard out . A win win for the board.

Holymoly   
11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Given the fact we're continuing to make a loss , it wouldn't surprise me if the players you mentioned are sold at profit and part of the money is used to add a few players on the cheap and the rest used to balance the books and appease FFP whilst making Conte look like the man who drove Hazard out . A win win for the board.

With that mindset I believe Big Sam is available.

Huddersfield away, Arsenal home, Conte's first two games for the new season, getting excited now, I'm sure Antonio is excited for the new season too and can't wait to get back to Cobham and start working with his beloved and trusted squad.