• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Conte, stay or go?

paulw66   
On 5/10/2018 at 9:10 AM, Martin1905 said:

There's been much debate about him but I'd like to know what the general feeling on here is about him staying or going. Just a simple stay or go will do.

Martin, are you asking if we think he'll go, or whether we want him to go?

6 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Martin, are you asking if we think he'll go, or whether we want him to go?

If people want him to go mate.

paulw66   
Just now, Martin1905 said:

If people want him to go mate.

Well, quite simply, I want him to stay.

Largely because he did a great job last season. Finishing 5th and getting to a cup final this season is not quite as doomsday as some make out. 

Lastly, and I think more importantly, who the eff is there to replace him that is a guaranteed improvement? Sacking someone is all well and good if your replacement is better. 

bert19   
26 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I've swung back and forth on this for the last 4/5 months, but I think I'm coming to the conclusion that 'Go' is the answer.

I want stability and I want us to give a manager time to develop the team and bring the youth through, I just don't feel like Conte is the man to do it and I don't think we should just settle with him just to try and get stability.

He seems to have poor man management skills, tactically not as strong as other top managers - he waits way too long to react to what's happening on the pitch that it's often too late to make an impact.

He did great things in his first season and possibly he could do that again, but this season has been really painful viewing, not just performances but the clear disconnect between him and the board.

For me it's, thank you Antonio, but I feel like he and our club are not suited.

The bigger question for me is if he does go, who on earth do we bring in?!

You've summed my feelings up pretty perfectly here.  I've really struggled to watch us as the season's gone on.  I know the board are hardly perfect, but so much of what we've seen of his behaviour and the team on the pitch could and should have been addressed in recent months.  Wednesday night was just a very sour cherry on the top of a very unpleasant tasting cake as far as I'm concerned.  

Really want stability at management level (probably a pipedream in modern football) and loved his minimum of fuss approach throughout last season, but I've lost a lot of belief and enthusiasm for him these last few months.  

I wonder if Allegri goes to Arsenal whether he'd fancy going back to Juve ? And whether they'd have him back ?

xCELERYx   

Has to stay. The bulk of our issues aren't connected to Conte directly. While he's made mistakes, he's still a top manager. To have the club go through two of the most reputable managers in the game within the last 3 years, doesn't paint a good picture and highlights our issues lie beyond who is manager. 

He's the 3rd quickest of all PL managers to reach 50 wins, and the 5th manager in PL history to beat more than 20 EPL sides (behind Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and Strachan). He's obviously not shite. 

Our squad isn't as good as some like to believe, and instead hang too much on reputation. Regardless of who our manager is we're going to need to invest in some genuine quality that improves us, without that we'll be a top 6 side and not a genuine top 4. 

This season we dropped a lot of points because of our players in attack not being clinical or composed enough to take their chances. We improve that, we'd be top four and possibly top 2. That responsibility falls at the feet of our attack and they should rightly be held accountable. 

End of the day I think the players need to be more accountable for their actions on the pitch. Enough is enough and they can no longer get a free pass at the expensive of management. If we sack Conte we'll have learnt nothing and deserve the mediocre and inconsistent performances we've served up going forward. 

paulw66   
Just now, xCELERYx said:

Has to stay. The bulk of our issues aren't connected to Conte directly. While he's made mistakes, he's still a top manager. To have the club go through two of the most reputable managers in the game within the last 3 years, doesn't paint a good picture and highlights our issues lie beyond who is manager. 

Nicely put. 

I also think some of this season's issues can be resolved with a bigger squad, which we can easily part resolve with some of the loanees.

If Giroud had been with us since August, we would be comfortably in top 4 IMO. Would have relieved the pressure when his form started to dip. Would have been a serious alternative instead of a player who isn't trusted. 

11 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

He's the 3rd quickest of all PL managers to reach 50 wins, and the 5th manager in PL history to beat more than 20 EPL sides (behind Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and Strachan). He's obviously not shite. 

Our squad isn't as good as some like to believe, and instead hang too much on reputation. Regardless of who our manager is we're going to need to invest in some genuine quality that improves us, without that we'll be a top 6 side and not a genuine top 4. 

This season we dropped a lot of points because of our players in attack not being clinical or composed enough to take their chances. We improve that, we'd be top four and possibly top 2. That responsibility falls at the feet of our attack and they should rightly be held accountable. 

End of the day I think the players need to be more accountable for their actions on the pitch. Enough is enough and they can no longer get a free pass at the expensive of management. If we sack Conte we'll have learnt nothing and deserve the mediocre and inconsistent performances we've served up going forward. 

This, in a nutshell.  It's so easy for the fans to call for the head of the manager. It's even easier for the owner to pull the trigger, but at some point this merry-go-round has to stop.

4 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

This, in a nutshell.  It's so easy for the fans to call for the head of the manager. It's even easier for the owner to pull the trigger, but at some point this merry-go-round has to stop.

Why?  The manage merry-go-round has worked out pretty well for us to date.

Buy talent, fill in the gaps to make a top team, compete for trophies.  It is a simple enough cycle to go through, and we did it brilliantly.  If we finished without trophies one could say we had a problem.  All we have is the next opportunity to go through it all again.  

I really don't care who the manager is, I just want the board and owner to stay - they have done so amazingly well over the past 18 years.

13 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

But we have been incredibly successful operating this way.

Why would the board do anything differently?

People keep saying at some point it has to stop but why?