• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Conte, stay or go?

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

What makes you so sure that RM and Zidane will part company? Is it a case of you desperately clutching on to something after having pronounced that Conte already had a job lined up months ago, then slowly seeing the Italian national team, PSG, and others confirming new managers that aren't Conte?

Not 100% sure at all, just certain it won't happen before Saturday, so it is just as likely a future event now as it was 1, 3 or 6 months ago.

There seems to be a view that BM and PSG appointing lesser managers implies Conte isn't wanted by anyone.  For me it just means someone else must have him, and I'm pretty sure it isn't us.  Another week or two and we will find out.

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not 100% sure at all, just certain it won't happen before Saturday, so it is just as likely a future event now as it was 1, 3 or 6 months ago.

There seems to be a view that BM and PSG appointing lesser managers implies Conte isn't wanted by anyone.  For me it just means someone else must have him, and I'm pretty sure it isn't us.  Another week or two and we will find out.

So Zidane is the new Matic? Got you!
I predict that whoever is our manager next season will eventually be replaced. 😏

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

So Zidane is the new Matic? Got you!
I predict that whoever is our manager next season will eventually be replaced. 😏

Well, not to start a pointless discussion that will entertain no one... But I think what Droy is saying is stating his opinions and presenting them in a rather blunt and assured manner. That Conte is on his way is hardly a controversial belief. Droy just happens to think that Conte is on his way because he is so good and someone better than us wants him, not because we think he is so bad that we sack him. Certainly the minority view at this stage but an interesting one nonetheless. 

Perhaps we should discuss that to hear everyones opinion? Wouldn't that be just a little bit more interesting than pointless personal punchlines? 

All said with the best intentions of course. 

I think the truth may lie somewhere in between. I don't think we mind seeing him go, and to be perfectly frank I think we wouldn't really have mind him go last season either. I think the club knew already then that he wasn't going to last long - but of course couldn't be seen to let go of a title-winning manager just weeks back. I'd be shocked to see him here next season. Then again he's clearly a good manager/coach that has a proven track-record in both England and Italy. He should be sought-after. 

There are three options really as I see it;

1) he joins a club he (in some way) had a deal with already

2) he takes a year off

3) he joins a club formally within the next few weeks

If option one, and that club is a club higher up in our standing chances are that Droy was right. 2 or 3, most likely not. 

Option 4 he stays... At this stage the least likely option. I may very well be wrong, but that's my reading of the situation. How about you? 

7 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Well, not to start a pointless discussion that will entertain no one... 

[SNIP]

You're new around here, aren't you? I know exactly what DWMH meant.

Edited by Bob Singleton

59 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I know exactly what DWMH meant.

Bob, you're unique .... however ..... at risk of doing a Daniel and entering the lion's den, frankly I rather like Conte and hope he stays. None of us has a clue what is the the mind of Roman A or his court, nor what Conte really means to do (probably just sabre rattling).

I confess I'd prefer him to take a few risks with the press, and perhaps actually say something worthwhile - much as I loath Mourinho's outbursts, they are at least entertaining whereas the insights into Conte's opinions are pretty lacklustre.

I'd also rather a return to crowd surfing (we'll never see Pellegrini do that - perish the thought) than the current dour performance in the dugout.

And I'd certainly favour the sort of swashbuckling performance we got from the likes of Gianfranco, Didier and Costa than the anaemic performance we have seen of late (please shoot Morata, someone, it's the least he deserves - I'll forgive Giroud for the time being, at least he looks like he's trying). Except that the buccaneers had a defence that they could depend on. Hopefully that will change next year now that our defence is showing signs of coming together. Sort of.

Oh, and a plan B which is more than just throwing a few assorted players on at the last moment like he did on Saturday.

(I think I've just talked myself into ambivalence about the man.)

Anyhow, looking on the bright side: at least we haven't got the living dead like the Arse or Emery (he'll always be Mandy in my mind - 'ooh, you are awful') like Spam, and neither Faria nor the FSW have been seen in the vicinity. Lets hope it stays that way. 

10 minutes ago, blue moon said:

I'd also rather a return to crowd surfing (we'll never see Pellegrini do that - perish the thought) than the current dour performance in the dugout.

Nothing wrong at all with current behaviour in the dug out by Conte.
What is wrong is the gap between the Stamford the lion impressions of last season and the lion of Trafalgar square impression this season.  

Point taken, Il Duce, I confess I got twitchy around Chinese New Year wondering what he was going to do next. Something in the middle would be welcome. A cross between the dignity of the lion of Judah and the inscrutability of the Sphinx, perhaps, but with the odd snarl thrown in for good measure whenever Jose is around?

^^^^^^^^

Not aimed at you, Bob, but this is the sort of thing a 'journalist' writes when he has no insider knowledge and has to make something up to meet deadline. If they fire him, Chelsea will be up for hefty compensation? No shit, Sherlock. And then, Conte may take a year off! The Telegraph has become as bad as The Sun. Useless.

Personally, I get the impression that Conte would like to stay and finish the job. Pointless though, if the club refuse to back him in the transfer market (and I'm not talking about money spent/to spend, but the players he actually wants in the positions he wants them.. 

57 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Random jottings of hacks without a clue.  There is far more sensible stuff on here to read.  Even some of your stuff Bob.