• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

17 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Again, this should be used as a stick to beat all candidates equally.

Well no, whoever we get was clearly wanted by us and possibly everyone else but they want to come.

I think the Real Madrid appointment should give us all, no matter our stances on Conte and the club, reason to worry. Conte's 'serial winner' comments were a barely-veiled attack on his current players and club, and I would be confident would have been heard and perceived that way by many at the club. I think it was perfectly reasonable to read his open antipathy as an indication he wasn't really here any more, but as the other jobs dwindle I'm moving towards thinking either a) he wants to be sacked and that's the only way (payout and reputation intact) he'll go or b) he genuinely wants to stay and we're going to need 20 new players.

Either spells real trouble for us as a club, no matter how much you like or dislike Conte.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

When he walked out of Juventus , did he actually say he was going to honour his contract ?

Was he ever asked?

Because that is exactly what he said after the F A Cup final ,  "I have decided to honour my contract" .

Doesn't mean anything. Do you think he would have turned down Madrid, Bayern or PSG to honour his contract?

Maybe he realises he has no choice but to stay as nobody else wants him.

We as a club don't generally faff about when we have a manager to sack , normally it's done ruthlessly and quickly , not this time though , maybe that means that despite a disappointing season they're keeping him for one more go. 

Also ,  there is a possibility that the club actually want to sell Hazard , Willian and Courtois because we need the money and Conte would be the ideal fall guy to take the blame for it all.

Or he's gone, surprised anybody still thinks otherwise, and we are just negotiating his release and that of the new manager.

15 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Nearly 24,000 posts... and not one worth reading.

Yet you seem to be quite content in reading them and posting replies to his posts. Maybe do us all a favour a block him? As it stands, at least Droy adds value to the discussion whereas you seem more content in scoring imaginery internet points. 

Quite tiring Bob. 

15 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Three jobs that Conte would have walked into last summer. He only has himself to blame.

Yeah hard to not view it in this light. 

If I were one of the chairmen for those clubs I'd avoid Conte like the plague. He walked out of Juve because he didn't get his way. He's been throwing his toys out all season and on top of that made some puzzling squad decisions not to mention ever stranger match selections. Add his extremely negative style and you are left with a pretty unattractive proposition for a top European club. 

Then we haven't even started to talk about how he has butchered the current squad. 

14 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I think and I'm only guessing here that one of the reasons Conte didn't extend his contract but took the money was because he knew, as did pretty much everybody's, that PSG, Bayern and Madrid would all be looking for new managers this season. I'd imagine he and his agent were fairly sure they would have their pick of all three clubs.

It says a lot about him that not one of them has taken him. Who would taken put Tuchel, Kovac and Lopetegui above him 12 months ago? Certainly not three of the biggest clubs in Europe, that's for sure.

I 100% agree with Droy that he had another club lined up this summer, or at least he thought he did and the fact that he is now stuck here says a lot. Nobody wants him.

Yes, we can't know for a fact, but reading between the lines this is the conclusion I reach as well. 

14 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Maybe it's true that nobody wants him. It's equally true that no deal was done. I really can't understand why some of you wish to inhabit this alternative reality that Droy has constructed for you, and why, like cult members following some deranged prophet, you attempt to re-write history to fit your skewed narrative.

And yet another post ridden with insults. Really? I'm interested in hearing what you think on this subject Bob. Not what you think of Droy and his "cult members". 

14 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

If Conte hasn't had a job lined up while saying the things he's said... I think it genuinely might be time to worry. 

Yep. I was very worried after last season (2016/17) in regards to squad size, squad quality, squad balance and long-term strategy of the club. Today I'm terrified. We have managed to weaken the squad from one year ago and spent a ****-load of money in the process. In one season we have taken a massive step backwards. 

If Conte stays on we will have one hell of a season in front of us. Not in a good way either... I'm worried we may fall even further behind the top clubs if he stays on and I wouldn't put it past us to miss out on a top 6.

14 hours ago, JaneB said:

I disagree.

Droy was voted most entertaining CFCnet member with Mark Kelly and came second with Michael Tucker as most informative CFCnet member so someone must be reading his posts.

I'm not getting involved in any spats but, whatever you think of what he says, his input is phenomenal and I wish my skin was one thousandth as thick as his.

True. Why can't we discuss with each other? Does it have to be personal insults in every post? I've not been on here for long, but I'm quite surprised by the vitriol on here. 

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

5 clubs and his own national team chose not to hire him. Doesn't get more obvious than that.

Let me guess, he didn't want any of those jobs and would rather stay here and get apparently shafted by our board again than go to 3 of the biggest clubs in Europe?

Good example. 

59 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

When he walked out of Juventus , did he actually say he was going to honour his contract ?

Because that is exactly what he said after the F A Cup final ,  "I have decided to honour my contract" .

Why would he have to decide if he wants to honour his contract? If you have signed a contract, you have already decided to honour it.

Sounds to me like he has back-tracked from his previous stance after he was told there weren't any jobs out there for him this summer. 

55 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think the Real Madrid appointment should give us all, no matter our stances on Conte and the club, reason to worry. Conte's 'serial winner' comments were a barely-veiled attack on his current players and club, and I would be confident would have been heard and perceived that way by many at the club. I think it was perfectly reasonable to read his open antipathy as an indication he wasn't really here any more, but as the other jobs dwindle I'm moving towards thinking either a) he wants to be sacked and that's the only way (payout and reputation intact) he'll go or b) he genuinely wants to stay and we're going to need 20 new players.

Either spells real trouble for us as a club, no matter how much you like or dislike Conte.

Yes - worrying to say the least. Keeping him on will surely mean yet another squad overhaul for a manager that will be gone next season anyways. 

There is only one play here - sack him and pay him the money.

New issue of Chelsea magazine arrived today (comes with the ST, wouldn't be interested otherwise). Quick flick through, seemingly no pictures of or mentions of Conte. I'd consider it odd for any club's manager to be entirely absent from their internal propaganda. 

Either he is gone or it is all out culture war. 

Madrid was the last job he may have got. There is a fair chance the club have been waiting to see of anyone would take him before sacking him. 

Obviously any new manager was never going to be announced until Cont has gone.

I'd be very surprised if he's not sacked in the  near future.  If he's still here next week then it really is time to start worrying.

6 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Madrid was the last job he may have got. There is a fair chance the club have been waiting to see of anyone would take him before sacking him. 

Obviously any new manager was never going to be announced until Cont has gone.

I'd be very surprised if he's not sacked in the  near future.  If he's still here next week then it really is time to start worrying.

Perhaps he'll get the Spain job then , seeing as they've just sacked their Madrid bound coach a day before the World Cup.

Ham   

Conte for the Spain job anyone?

🤔

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Yes I disagree that Conte to RM was done months ago

Well done.  What took you so long to make your point?
Or is it simply you only care about making others look bad while avoiding saying anything of substance yourself?

5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I agree. It just won't be at a very big club any time soon. They don't want him. 

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

He's available, none of the club's or his national team wanted him. 

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

What else would you expect any manager to say when they are asked constantly asked questions about his future?

Conte saying he is going to honour his contract is meaningless.  He's walked out on a club once before so has proved he doesn't care about his contract. 

So Conte is gone that is pretty clear, and the big clubs are appointing nobodies instead of him.  Which might mean they didn't want him (though I doubt that).  Or it might  be that Chelsea are doing something very very unusual, and making him sit and wait - serve out his contract even as we appoint a new man.  Very unusual for Chelsea, but from my pov he has done a hell of a lot to upset the board to date.
(Alternatively he may have decided on a years paid leave).

In other words, just because he is gone might not mean he is "available" yet.  (All the more reasons for at least one of these clubs to appoint a nonentity).

Meanwhile there are only a few clubs left where Sarri could have gone to.  Arsenal and Chelsea I guess (Napoli, btw, was taken by CA a while ago).

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Perhaps he'll get the Spain job then , seeing as they've just sacked their Madrid bound coach a day before the World Cup.

I wondered that too.

BlueFizz   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I wondered that too.

Would they give him the Spain job? The way he plays football seems so completely opposite to the Spanish way - and this is a 'way' that's worked spectacularly well.

I'm hoping he goes, but beginning to think he won't. In which case, I really don't know what to expect. More whining about not being given the best players? A dispensation from on-high to play more attacking football (which he'd ignore)?

I feel bad because I really enjoyed his first season - and not just because we won the title; we played some good stuff too.

Edited by BlueFizz