• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

JaneB   
11 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Focus on the football - all else is twaddle.

To be honest, quite a lot of what I write about the football is twaddle too.

Anyway back to 'CONTE STAY OR GO?'

Show of digital hands?

My heart says go, my head says - he's staying.

Still absolutely no idea.  Better the devil you know maybe.  In an ideal world I wish he had gone away to reflect and come back refreshed, determined to unite the whole team behind him.  The players would have to play their part too and we would then go on to win the title back with a change of style and a much happier camp (including Hazard and Luiz). 

Never going to happen but it would be hilarious if it did.

9 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Still absolutely no idea.  Better the devil you know maybe.  In an ideal world I wish he had gone away to reflect and come back refreshed, determined to unite the whole team behind him.  The players would have to play their part too and we would then go on to win the title back with a change of style and a much happier camp (including Hazard and Luiz). 

Never going to happen but it would be hilarious if it did.

I think at some point this boom or bust process has to stop , I'm sure I read reports that when Mourinho was fired for the second time Roman read the squad the riot act and said he'd never sack a manager on the players say so again , it may have been rubbish and conjecture like most things you read in the press but there is an ominous hush around the club at the moment which indicates to me that they're going to let him run his course and hope it all turns out nice again , and I cannot quite decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

xCELERYx   
16 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think at some point this boom or bust process has to stop , I'm sure I read reports that when Mourinho was fired for the second time Roman read the squad the riot act and said he'd never sack a manager on the players say so again , it may have been rubbish and conjecture like most things you read in the press but there is an ominous hush around the club at the moment which indicates to me that they're going to let him run his course and hope it all turns out nice again , and I cannot quite decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

For me, it's a good thing if it happens. Too long players have ruled the roost. Somewhat understandable when we had elite players who backed it up on the pitch and were leaders in their own right. These days we've got players far from that standard, who've now see us fail to make the CL in two of the last three years, all while under two highly successful and reputable managers. Maybe its time to flip the script, hold players accountable for their performances, and that their position in the team - or even their future at the club being what's at risk, opposed to the managers job. 

We're obviously scraping the bottom of the barrel for managers if a 59 year old who has won absolutely nothing in his career, who's only plus point is the nature of football he plays, is the main candidate. Then what happens when that inevitably fails? 

Edited by xCELERYx

JaneB   
25 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Me neither although I definitely don't want Sarri.

I mean, does anyone actually know where Conte is atm? He might be planning for the new season with the club for all we know.

And it's not just him they'd have to sack but all the back room staff as well. Surely they all need to know where they stand don't they?

33 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

1.    I think at some point this boom or bust process has to stop ,

2.  I'm sure I read reports that when Mourinho was fired for the second time Roman read the squad the riot act and said he'd never sack a manager on the players say so again , it may have been rubbish and conjecture like most things you read in the press

3.but there is an ominous hush around the club at the moment which indicates to me that they're going to let him run his course and hope it all turns out nice again , and I cannot quite decide whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

1.  The only bust we have had was when JM tried to race the 24 hr Le Mans race with no spare parts or tyres or fuel in the pits and the wheels fell off (and CA's 2nd year)
Conte crawled around the same course doing a steady 45mph and finished fifth.

Boom bust was largely about the club trying to over perform, sometimes succeeding, sometimes collapsing.  To be fair to Conte he put an end to that.  

But the longer term cycle of rebuild talent - add key players - compete for titles - recognise team is done and start re-build is here for the longer term.  We are no longer a club with a budget big enough to perform and re-build at the same time (like Chelsea 2004-10, Man U under SAF but not since, or City now).   

2.  yes certainly the usual rubbish

3.  I think silence is definitely a signal - but one that means there is no 2-sided commitment to having Conte here next season.  Just a simple PR handout where Conte wishes good luck to RLC/Cahill and the rest on WC duty and looks forward to their safe return would clarify things very easily, and you can be sure the internal PR team would demand that if poss.
It could be that Conte/club are still in negotiations, but as I have said a million times before, these things get done early at all clubs, esp. Chelsea (who have always been run well at top level, despite the moans).

48 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Financially we're treading water, and given our on-field success, this doesn't feel right. Something is amiss.

Sticking to FFP means precisely treading water financially.  

21 minutes ago, JaneB said:

And it's not just him they'd have to sack but all the back room staff as well. Surely they all need to know where they stand don't they?

What bothered me at the tail end of the season was not Conte's demeanour which was enthusiastic compared to say Rafa*, JM or Wagner on the day, just less crazy than last season.  It was the whole coaching team on the bench who looked extremely uninterested.  Certainly unbothered about getting 4th place.

So on the one hand, Sarri might use them, or some of them.  On the other hand they all need to go for showing such a disgraceful lack of professionalism at the last 2 league games (and I imagine during training for the last few months too)

*I've started calling him something more respectful - just in case!

8 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

"close friends" means his agent or representative has told press off the record.
Almost certainly this means that there is a paying off dispute between club and Conte, and he is not returning, just creating a "keep paying me" stance.  There ought to be a "constructive resignation" law.

Edit:  The Telegraph article which is the source for the link says pretty much the same thing as I just did - that he is hanging around, not being asked to work for us next season.

Edited by Droy was my hero

27 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Edit:  The Telegraph article which is the source for the link says pretty much the same thing as I just did - that he is hanging around, not being asked to work for us next season.

Given that all the media have been suggesting Conte is about to be sacked since the first game of the season, "Man We Said Would be Sacked Stays in Job" is hardly a headline I expect to see.

JaneB   
27 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

What bothered me at the tail end of the season was not Conte's demeanour which was enthusiastic compared to say Rafa*, JM or Wagner on the day, just less crazy than last season.  It was the whole coaching team on the bench who looked extremely uninterested.  Certainly unbothered about getting 4th place.

So on the one hand, Sarri might use them, or some of them.  On the other hand they all need to go for showing such a disgraceful lack of professionalism at the last 2 league games (and I imagine during training for the last few months too)

*I've started calling him something more respectful - just in case!

Omg, can you imagine? I'd forgotten about him.......momentarily!!!

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

That's the problem, though... we read about new sponsorship deals which are, on the whole, some of the most lucrative in the game; we get a very decent wedge of money from TV deals and prize money, even our match day revenue, given we now have one of the smaller stadia, is still pretty decent; yet we're only ever in that bracket of small loses/small profits, which seemingly forces us to adopt this 'one in, one out' policy. Financially we're treading water, and given our on-field success, this doesn't feel right. Something is amiss.

Agree with this. 

City makes roughly £100m more than us over a year, has a higher wage and transfer budget compared to us and still breaks even! We on the other hand are making losses year after year. The difference can be found in commercial revenue and tv money.

Something doesn't feel right for me either.

6 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Agree with this. 

City makes roughly £100m more than us over a year, has a higher wage and transfer budget compared to us and still breaks even! We on the other hand are making losses year after year. The difference can be found in commercial revenue and tv money.

Something doesn't feel right for me either.

I think that's because City are cheating .

When the squeeze is on they can just call up the sheikhs brother and get him to sponsor something else and bail them out.