• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

1 hour ago, James Prescott said:

People do underestimate just how many players at Chelsea dislike him and would leave if he stayed. Hazard's comments yesterday were IMO a clear message to the Chelsea board - change the manager or I'm outta here. Courtois comments seem to echo the same sentiment.

Conte staying would IMO mean a divided dressing room, our best players leaving, no decent players arriving, and a season which would make 15/16 look successful.

What did they say?

22 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Hmm, I honestly don't know the answer to that in all truthfulness , I'd like to think he did want him to stay but who knows ? Maybe he thought it was no good keeping an unhappy player ?

So he "solved" that problem by buying Morata who like Costa seems to have an instant yearning to return to Madrid (busy noisy London with lots of cars... not his cup of tea) but unlike Costa can't hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

I don't think the problem was Costa , the problem has been his replacement. No one was whining about Costa at the start of the season when Morata hit a purple patch. 

Morata was a poor poor choice and it cost us dearly. 

17 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

So he "solved" that problem by buying Morata who like Costa seems to have an instant yearning to return to Madrid (busy noisy London with lots of cars... not his cup of tea) but unlike Costa can't hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

I don't think the problem was Costa , the problem has been his replacement. No one was whining about Costa at the start of the season when Morata hit a purple patch. 

Morata was a poor poor choice and it cost us dearly. 

I get the distinct feeling that some players don't like Chelsea quite as much as we do . 

However , I think after Lukaku went to United , he was the only choice available.

xCELERYx   
53 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I get the distinct feeling that some players don't like Chelsea quite as much as we do . 

However , I think after Lukaku went to United , he was the only choice available.

Pretty much this. Belotti was the only other CF we were continuously linked with and he was going to cost €100m. Morata was the most available option out there. 

""I wait to see whether the coach will stay or leave," Hazard told L'Equipe. "If I stay it's for the club to be better than last season. I don't want to stay for us to be poorer."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11408774/eden-hazard-real-madrid-know-what-to-do-to-sign-me-from-chelsea

Basically, sack Conte or I go.

Edited by James Prescott

6 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

""I wait to see whether the coach will stay or leave," Hazard told L'Equipe. "If I stay it's for the club to be better than last season. I don't want to stay for us to be poorer."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11408774/eden-hazard-real-madrid-know-what-to-do-to-sign-me-from-chelsea

Basically, sack Conte or I go.

Not really.

He is just leaving the whole thing up in the air.  Trying to read to much into non-comment.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

No they don't . Especially it seems those imported from Madrid clubs. I'm just having an exchange with Droy on another thread about the benefits of an English (British) core of two or three regulars (and the fact that we no longer have this). Drinkwater and Barclay are bit part players as is increasingly Cahill. Players brought through the ranks  like Ampedu , RLC, Chalobah would feel the love. It's getting the balance right with quality internationals. 

With regards to a lack of striker, if we had made a serious offer for Vardy I think we would have got him and with RLC instead of Bakayoko our season would have been very different.. But indeed the sound of a barrel being scrapped along the bottom was deafening.  

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

With regards to a lack of striker, if we had made a serious offer for Vardy I think we would have got him and with RLC instead of Bakayoko our season would have been very different.. But indeed the sound of a barrel being scrapped along the bottom was deafening.  

Vardy isn't / wasn't the answer.

Teams don't play a high line against us, they defend deep, and that negates Vardy's chief attribute, his pace. He is also only going to get slower, now 31. 

Moreover, Vardy averaged a goal every 163 minutes in the PL, Morata one every 188. Take away Vardy's 5 penalty kicks, and Vardy drops down to one every 217. So big improvement? Not for me, and certainly not enough to equate to a very different season. 

Last point, I still fancy Morata to come good. A lot of players take time to adjust to the PL. His minutes per goal compare very similarly to Drogba in his first season, and look how that turned out. (before you say it, I am not saying Morata WILL be Drogba like, it was just an example of a player who improved over time) 

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Vardy isn't / wasn't the answer.

Teams don't play a high line against us, they defend deep, and that negates Vardy's chief attribute, his pace. He is also only going to get slower, now 31. 

The teams that beat us generally play a high line.  The ones that sit back lose.  And of course the reason teams felt comfortable last season to play a high line against us is because we replaced Costa with Morata, not Vardy.

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Last point, I still fancy Morata to come good. A lot of players take time to adjust to the PL. His minutes per goal compare very similarly to Drogba in his first season, and look how that turned ou

Not sure about Morata at all.  You can't compare a player who was signed at 16 from Getafe by RM and spent the next few years at RM before moving to Juve at 21 for EUR 20mn (+ buy back terms)  with a player who turned professional at the same age of 21.  
Morata is 25 now, near his peak, not at the start of his career.

And I'm pretty sure you are wrong on goals per minute.  Drogba got 10 in 18 PL starts in his first year with us.  Morata 11 in 24.  (Actually this season in ML2  Drogba has 4 in 4 already!)
As MT likes to remind us  - Drogba scored at a similar rate in his first 3 years - he just played a lot lot more in 06/07.

Edited by Droy was my hero

I think that the general assumption is that Hazard wants Conte gone... I just can’t quite believe that assumption. Hazard doesn’t seem like that type at all (Eto’o, Ibrahimovic type characters IMO)... What if Hazard actually wants Conte to stay.. I mean, Willian and Luiz probably don’t want him to, but honestly Conte has really backed Hazard throughout and there was never any genuine indication of bad blood between the two.

This entire situation has been pretty sickening and distasteful IMO. The club is usually a lot more definitive than this drawn out mess.

All things considered, if that really is Hazard pushing Conte out, as much as I don’t like Conte, I do hope that he is shown the door as well because that would be a pretty low way of going about it by holding the club to ransom like that. And he can take Courtois with him as well!

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way