• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

DannyLB   
14 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

So they brought him back for pre season training, having kept him (and us)  hanging for months, waited till he put his Chelsea bib on and sacked him. Any thoughts on why Chelsea acted like that? I'd be interested to know kind folks opinions. 

Why is this any different than sacking him midway through a season?

3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

_102501488_chelseamanager.png

That's the only trouble with stats, the cynics will say that the 34.9% he lost, were the important ones.

JaneB   
3 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Well precisely for what NB put in his post I would have thought.

DannyLB   

Preseason started and a coach is needed to handle it while Conte making it very clear he will honor his contract until his last day. I see no problem here. 

1 minute ago, DannyLB said:

You're right...perfectly normal behaviour. Nothing odd at all.  Difference of course for us is if they had sacked him halfway through the season, we might still be in the CL. Roman clearly is a patient and tolerant man who thought it only right to sack a coach months after he made that decision. And not only that, he will keep that coach on, more than 2 months after the season has ended . Maybe he needed him to do a bit of spring cleaning, put some bleach down the loos, make the tea then say hello to players returning for pre season.. As I say perfectly normal behaviour. Nothing to see or read into here.

BlueFizz   
26 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

So they brought him back for pre season training, having kept him (and us)  hanging for months, waited till he put his Chelsea bib on and sacked him. Any thoughts on why Chelsea acted like that? I'd be interested to know kind folks opinions. 

We are outside looking in; not inside.

It’s possible that the departure was more ‘mutual’ than might be imagined.

Conte never seemed to settle in the UK. Perhaps we agreed to let him when we found an alternative; perhaps (being a pro) he agreed to stay until it was sorted out.

Boring speculation but could be the case.

7 minutes ago, DannyLB said:

Preseason started and a coach is needed to handle it while Conte making it very clear he will honor his contract until his last day. I see no problem here. 

What problem is there to see? He stayed because he likes us and loves us and wants us to do well next season with the next coach he knows is coming and wants to give him the best possible start...ahh Bless him. Maybe he's left Sarri his players notes and a bunch of flowers.  Or maybe.... he knows if he doesn't turn up for work he could be sacked for that very reason and risk his 9 mill. Do you actually believe what your writing or are you just being argumentative for the sake of it?

4 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

We are outside looking in; not inside.

It’s possible that the departure was more ‘mutual’ than might be imagined.

Conte never seemed to settle in the UK. Perhaps we agreed to let him when we found an alternative; perhaps (being a pro) he agreed to stay until it was sorted out.

Boring speculation but could be the case.

Keep fogging that dead horse boys.

27 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Spite I guess.  Or put another way fury that the guy thought he could take a big pay rise and re-commit to a 2019 contract and then walk out a year later.

I recall JM talking about his 2007/8 year that he was frustrated because he had been wanted by a "big big big" club in Summer 2007 but wasn't allowed to go, and then the club agreed he could go a few months later.  (Though this was frustration, not a criticism of the club). 

I think  Chelsea, having probably bought off Conte from going to RM a year ago, are pretty upset he took the money and then tried to go a year later.  IMO they have been quite right trying to stop that deal going though, irrespective of cost.  (Of course we don't know if RM offered compensation - so is cost 0, redundancy pay, missed compensation or both.

Conte took the money last year - trying to move on was appalling behaviour in that context I reckon.

13 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I conclude a massive fall out in which Chelsea said 'bollocks to you if you won't resign. We will keep you working to the very last second on your massive wage because we can. You may know you're a dead man walking but we will stop you taking up any other position because we can. '  Conte 's perspective was that he was never going to resign and forfeit 9 mill quid even if it meant missing other jobs. He wanted Chelsea to pay up and knew sooner or later they would have to. The chances of him being our manager next year were always less than zero. This was the case months ago. At least the hatred and animosity on both sides is now clear for all to see.   

Yeah -- it feels like Conte wanted redundancy money and a big up front bonus from RM for saving them a compensation fee.
It may be Sarri is doing the same at Napoli.