• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

15 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

I hate this "never won a thing" stuff. Every club he managed up until Empoli was in a lower league. He's achieved promotion on a number of occasions. 

Me too.

Most managers had never won anything until they got their chance at a big club.

Conte won nothing before Juve, Jose won nothing before Porto, Guardiola won nothing before Barcelona, Zidane won nothing before Madrid, Allegri won nothing before Milan.

I can't think of any that has had major success before moving to a big club. Sarri has taken longer than most to get his chance, if some want to use that as a negative then fine but to bash a manager for not winning anything when they have never managed a big club is absurd.

Edited by Martin1905
  • Like 1

Anyway , he's going to win plenty here I expect.

xCELERYx   
On 09/08/2018 at 6:59 PM, bert19 said:

If it is actually the case that he binned off a striker that scored 20+ goals in two title-winning campaigns, whilst being a talismanic figure for the team and supporters and wanted to replace him with Alvaro Morata then it's no bloody wonder that the club didn't listen to him over transfer targets really. 

I've got to the point where I just want to move on completely from Conte and last season.  With everything I read it just feels more and more obvious to me that he lost the plot completely or was busy throwing tantrums and was just making decisions to spite the club or certain players.  For me, the Huddersfield game was just a very sour cherry on top of a s**t filled cake to emphasize that point.  

Conte didn't really "bin off" Costa though did he. All he ultimately did was grant a player the wish he had ever since he first stepped through the doors at Chelsea. A player that pushed and pushed for a move each and every transfer window, that also pushed for a move midway through Conte's first season to China. Let's not forget that Costa, as good as he was on his day, was always rather ineffective during the second half of the season. He was a constant source of distractions and negative headlines due to his actions on the pitch -  including but not limited to literally downing tools mid game vs Swansea when he plonked his ass on the turf after Conte refused to substitute him. How about how he acted after being told he was no longer wanted? Rather than remain professional he buggered off and failed to return to the club, even at their request to force his move. Including partying in an Atletico Madrid shirt while still contracted to Chelsea. As much as I appreciate the good that Costa brought, it was never going to be a long lasting relationship between him and Chelsea. Of course, much of this is rather ignored because it doesn't quite fit the narrative that some like to pedal. 

As for Morata, there's enough there to suggest he wasn't Conte's first choice replacement either - that was Lukaku. 

That said there's always going to be two sides to this for as long as time continues. One interesting aspect is that there still seems to be an element of player power within this group and a certain Brazilian flavour having the problems with regime. 

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Me too.

Conte won nothing before Juve, Jose won nothing before Porto, Guardiola won nothing before Barcelona, Zidane won nothing before Madrid, Allegri won nothing before Milan.

I can't think of any that has had major success before moving to a big club. Sarri has taken longer than most to get his chance, if some want to use that as a negative then fine but to bash a manager for not winning anything when they have never managed a big club is absurd.

Quite. The only manager I can think of in recent history to win something at a "smaller" club was Ranieri at Leicester. Can you imagine if we had reappointed him?

paulw66   
7 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

At least I am consistent. 

BTW how many Hours do you spend on google to throw stats in someone’s face?

I have no idea what you are talking about? What stats have I thrown in whose face? 

xCELERYx   
30 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Me too.

Conte won Serie B with Bari in his second season, after taking over the season prior and leading them out of the relegation zone. 

Most of those players turned managers were also winners at the elite level during their playing careers - Mourinho being the exception. 

Sarri has had success at neither level. That's not to say he can't be successful going forward, but the one genuine chance he also had in achieving success last season, resulted in his side massively dropping the ball in the final stretch - despite actually doing the hard work and beating Juve late on. They followed that up with two terrible results immediately afterwards.

Naturally there is going to be reservations about a top club appointing a manager who has little to show against his name outside of being known for his attractive football. There's a reason why he pushed so hard for the Chelsea job. At 60 years old and coming off the height of his coaching career to date his stock is at the highest it's ever been, giving him the best opportunity he'll likely get of managing a top club. What happens next we'll need to wait and see, but this is no doubt the biggest and most ruthless position he's ever been in. He's not going to be able to sacrifice competitions like he did at Napoli and is going to be expected to get the side challenging on all fronts. The question is if he's capable of doing this or not. While it doesn't all hinge on himself, the club are going to have to back him far better than they did Conte. Simply utilising what he's given isn't going to advance the club, we're going to need quality additions as we go along on top. Otherwise we're just going to end up treading water while other clubs continue to kick on and improve - as we've seen with Liverpool and Tottenham the last few years.  

Edited by xCELERYx
Being sick has impacted my ability to string together coherent lines of text.

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Conte didn't really "bin off" Costa though did he. All he ultimately did was grant a player the wish he had ever since he first stepped through the doors at Chelsea. A player that pushed and pushed for a move each and every transfer window, that also pushed for a move midway through Conte's first season to China. Let's not forget that Costa, as good as he was on his day, was always rather ineffective during the second half of the season. He was a constant source of distractions and negative headlines due to his actions on the pitch -  including but not limited to literally downing tools mid game vs Swansea when he plonked his ass on the turf after Conte refused to substitute him. How about how he acted after being told he was no longer wanted? Rather than remain professional he buggered off and failed to return to the club, even at their request to force his move. Including partying in an Atletico Madrid shirt while still contracted to Chelsea. As much as I appreciate the good that Costa brought, it was never going to be a long lasting relationship between him and Chelsea. Of course, much of this is rather ignored because it doesn't quite fit the narrative that some like to pedal. 

As for Morata, there's enough there to suggest he wasn't Conte's first choice replacement either - that was Lukaku. 

That said there's always going to be two sides to this for as long as time continues. One interesting aspect is that there still seems to be an element of player power within this group and a certain Brazilian flavour having the problems with regime. 

Done to death, but for narrative balance...

So everyone else at the club was able to keep a much needed want away player but Conte. Weird how this is occasionally wheeled out as a defence. 

I suppose you can make any argument if you're going to flat out say Conte wanted Lukaku over his 'perfect son in law'. 

Conte didn't really "bin off" Costa though did he. All he ultimately did was grant a player the wish he had ever since he first stepped through the doors at Chelsea.

Have we ever had a CF that didn't want to move on in almost every year?  The only one I can remember is Torres.
On the other hand there are only 2 CFs I can think of that moved on before the club wanted them to go.  And Crespo had special circumstances.

3 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

So everyone else at the club was able to keep a much needed want away player but Conte. Weird how this is occasionally wheeled out as a defence. 

Almost nothing to suggest that.  Besides all the club scouts were looking for players in Italy weren't they?

23 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Quite. The only manager I can think of in recent history to win something at a "smaller" club was Ranieri at Leicester. Can you imagine if we had reappointed him?

He had his chance and blew it.

Unfortunately the Monaco debacle is something which will always be a millstone around his neck when it come to Chelsea