• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

17 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Your right, but you are aware one of them is currently employed by one of the biggest teams in Europe

Absolutely - and he came for tuppence, whereas the winners of this world name their price

On 11/8/2018 at 7:04 PM, Droy was my hero said:

To be fair he did pull off a very very tricky balancing act last season of keeping an undersized squad going through an interminal run of midweek games.  I think there are plenty of drawbacks to Conte, but I do think he did his best for the set of players he had.

To be fair (and with respect) the only thing Conte pulled off last season was himself.  Actually that's not strictly true. He won the FA cup, but he won that because he really wanted to win it. It was something he could put on his CV that looked good (finishing 4th in the league doesn't quite have the same ring about it). In fact at the end of the season he actually saved players in vital Prem games that could have got us 4th, so they would be fresh for the FA cup. If I could read his strange Italian mind he was probably thinking "I'm not going to be here next season anyway. The club is either waiting for me to resign (ha bloody ha) or they are going to sack me. Why should I break my arse to give the next coach a CL spot? But he can't take the FA cup away from me."

I'm sorry Droy but if really you think Conte did his absolute best for the club last season, you and I are Universes apart on this subject and not even a black hole will have enough gravity (downwards or sideways) to get our opinions even close.   

6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm sorry Droy but if really you think Conte did his absolute best for the club last season, you and I are Universes apart on this subject and not even a black hole will have enough gravity (downwards or sideways) to get our opinions even close.   

I think Conte did a lot right and as much or more wrong last season.  It seems funny, having at one time been accused of all kinds of disloyalty to the great new manager to find myself on the pro-Conte side now.  I don't think my position has moved at all in 2 years, I've gone from contrarian cool on Conte to contrarian luke-warm while the consensus has swung violent pro and then against him.
As ever people want to see all events as proof of Manager Genius or incompetence.  But if managers really did make that much difference they'd be paid more than the players.

BTW - I see RM have appointed their B team manager as new "permanent" manager.  Something they could have done immediately on sacking the last "permanent manager", Lopetegui 2 weeks ago.
Once again they seem to have attempted to appoint a manager and failed.  I guess that ties in with the reports of Conte suing Chelsea.
My full admiration goes to RA, who for the second time it seems to me has prevented Conte going to RM at great cost to Chelsea and out of pure spite.  

One thing is for sure Conte will look very silly in court suing us for loss of earnings and damage to his reputation if it turns out he has turned down the biggest job in world football on one or two occasions.

Conte was on Sky Italia this weekend saying "Ral Madrid? For the type of coach I am, I preferred and prefer to wait for June to find a new job. Then maybe in 2-3 months, I will want to train and deny what I'm saying now," Conte concluded. "Right now I see myself at home, watching some games and following some of my colleagues"

Seems it would have been the perfect opportunity to say we are blocking his exit and would have strengthened his case.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Conte did a lot right and as much or more wrong last season.  It seems funny, having at one time been accused of all kinds of disloyalty to the great new manager to find myself on the pro-Conte side now.  I don't think my position has moved at all in 2 years, I've gone from contrarian cool on Conte to contrarian luke-warm while the consensus has swung violent pro and then against him.
As ever people want to see all events as proof of Manager Genius or incompetence.  But if managers really did make that much difference they'd be paid more than the players.

I think when a coach goes from a motivated, sharp suited, fun, crowd surfing league winner with a never say die attitude, to a dull, face like a smacked arse, track suit wearing, negative football producing moaner who instantly  managed to de-motivate and alienate valuable players to the point some would look to leave the club and other would photoshop his face out of a team photo, and then fail to get even top four after coming off the back of a league title.... a change of tack or opinion is probably justified. In fact I would say that holding onto the original opinion is not to be rewarded with any brownie points. Things change and people change and that is life. And he's taking us to court for 20 mill by the way.

Edited by NoblyBobly

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Seems it would have been the perfect opportunity to say we are blocking his exit and would have strengthened his case.

His court case?  Nothing he says out of court helps him, only what he can prove in court.  Moreover, whatever he wants, you can be absolutely sure RM don't want it advertised across town that they have hired 2 managers now, neither of which they really wanted.  

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

And he's taking us to court for 20 mill by the way.

Berezovsky wanted $6.5 billion off RA in his court case.  (he was called a fantasist by the judge in the least reported part of the case).
I wouldn't take headline figures too seriously.  More interesting is that he announced it just after RM sacked Lopetegui, and while they spent 2 weeks deciding on promoting their B manager.  

47 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

His court case?  Nothing he says out of court helps him, only what he can prove in court.     

You don't necessarily have to 'prove' things beyond reasonable doubt in a civil case. If you are reportedly suing for damages for missing out on other top jobs, going on public record saying you would rather be at home all year rather than take a top 5 job in football could definitely be used against you in court. I'm pretty sure only that evidence which is on a 'without prejudice' basis, or illegally sourced is inadmissible in court.

58 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Moreover, whatever he wants, you can be absolutely sure RM don't want it advertised across town that they have hired 2 managers now, neither of which they really wanted.    

In the unlikely event that is true, why would he give a toss if it was in his interest to say so?

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I wouldn't take headline figures too seriously. 

I'm not taking it as Gospel but unless someone can show me it's fake news, the different sources that are reporting it have my ear and attention. Chelsea we are told,  have  been setting their stall out to defend themselves. If this is all bollocks then I would have thought that either Conte or Chelsea spokesperson would have come out by now and said so because if lies it is lies and defamation of character of the highest order.

edit: of course lets not rule out a behind the scenes settlement that will make this go away quietly. I'm hoping Chelsea will fight this but going on past experience our legal team has as much fight and backbone as a rich tea biscuit dunked in tea for just a few seconds too long.

Edited by NoblyBobly

In the unlikely event that is true, why would he give a toss if it was in his interest to say so?

It is in his interest to not say so.

I'm pretty sure only that evidence which is on a 'without prejudice' basis, or illegally sourced is inadmissible in court.

Sure - but "because I told the press this back in November" isn't evidence at all, admissable or not, whereas if he has had an offer from RM that he can confirm, that would be valid in court without debate..

45 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm not taking it as Gospel but unless someone can show me it's fake news, the different sources that are reporting it have my ear and attention. Chelsea we are told,  have  been setting their stall out to defend themselves. If this is all bollocks then I would have thought that either Conte or Chelsea spokesperson would have come out by now and said so because if lies it is lies and defamation of character of the highest order.

It all makes perfect sense if we start with the assumption that RM wanted Conte twice and RA was determined not to let him go.  A pissed off Conte threatens to sue - standard practice.  Chelsea say "we'll meet in court" - also standard.  

46 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

edit: of course lets not rule out a behind the scenes settlement that will make this go away quietly. I'm hoping Chelsea will fight this but going on past experience our legal team has as much fight and backbone as a rich tea biscuit dunked in tea for just a few seconds too long.

I'd say our legal team likes to keep stuff out of the media and is willing to pay generously to ex-employees to do.  I don't see that as being limp.