• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

Holymoly   

I've come to the conclusion I am officially old. I hit the point a few years ago of not recognising any of the "music" played on radio 1 but now I realise that I also haven't the first clue about the majority of players/managers being touted for Chelsea.

Gone are the days of my childhood when I could reliably answer every question correctly on a Question of Sport. Of course I'm talking about the David Vine years.

Edited by Holymoly

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I've come to the conclusion I am officially old. I hit the point a few years ago of not recognising any of the "music" played on radio 1 but now I realise that I also haven't the first clue about the majority of players/managers being touted for Chelsea.

Gone are the days of my childhood when I could reliably answer every question correctly on a Question of Sport. Of course I'm talking about the David Vine years.

who?

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

I stopped listening to Radio 1 in about 1980!  I'm with you regarding QoS... I don't even know who the panellists are, and they have their names in front of them! 😁

8 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Not to mention he doesn't play attractive attacking football that's so dearly craved. 

Intentionally silly?

I dont think anyone craves attacking attractive football - at least I know I dont. 

Our fans, I would think, crave winning football. If the football isn't winning then obviously people will wonder why. 

And thats why your beloved Conte has been roasted this season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Surely he's  made it clear (more than once, iirc) that he doesn't want to leave Atletico any time soon? He also has a contract that takes him into 2020.

Yeah but if Griezmann goes then whats Simeone going to get out of staying at Atleti?

I know what youre saying, of course, its just that this would be a good time for a coach of his calibre to maybe make a step forward perhaps. 

8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I wanted Simeone after Benitez and Jose but not now. I think he's a great manager and a born winner but he's another defensive, negative manager and I want the club to take a different route.

Personally, I think his style has a lot to do with the gulf in class and, at the end of the day, Simeone is a pragmatist. 

He completely outplayed us at the Bridge a few years back and that was a very good Atleti side. Atleti have been pretty dull over the last 2 years, agreed, but he just consistently gets the results. 

As we can't get Jose or Pep, Simeone would be the next best thing IMO. Style for me, is not a huge priority. I just want to see us head into a game confident again and not seem hopelessly clueless.

I think our poor preparation for games this season during the most crucial part of the season, poor team selection and inability to react during the game have all been plainly obvious under Conte. Simeone would be vastly superior in that regard.

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

Ham   

Simeone would be a disaster here. The FA would make a fortune in fines.  Not a fan of his counter attacking style of football either.

On 5/15/2018 at 3:34 AM, xCELERYx said:

So yeah, while I take it personally to a degree I do so for justifiable reasons. If we had a genuine quality squad and this is all Conte could muster out of them, then he'd have to go and I'd have zero issue with that. That however is not the case and I cannot see any other manager doing a whole lot better with this mob overall as it stands.

Cheers for the reply. You raise some interesting points and there is no doubt that we have been forced to rest the Hazard, Morata, Pedro, Willian quartet far more than perhaps we wanted. But that is what happens when you leave yourself short-changed at AM and S for two year running. At the same time, we have loaded the squad (relatively) with defensive-minded players. 

I also feel that we have been too defensive too many times when we have played teams at home we really should be going all out to beat. Either Conte is a coward for not telling the board they are idiots, or the board really are idiots for leaving this squad so thin. Happend to Jose and it has now happened to Conte. It also happened to Jose first time around and after him Ancelotti. Whatever happens one can only hope some lessons have been learned but it doesn't look promising does it? 

11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I wanted Simeone after Benitez and Jose but not now. I think he's a great manager and a born winner but he's another defensive, negative manager and I want the club to take a different route.

Reports are that Sarri will sign an extension, which seems a little odd and they may just be rumours but if he does then our choices have got that much smaller.

I think it's interesting that Arsenal are going for Arteta, I'd have thought they would have been all over Jardim or Enrique.  Very few rumours about either so I'd suspect Enrique already has a job lined up and Jardim the same or he is staying at Monaco.

I think it's almost certain the club and manager, whoever that may be, already know who will be in charge next season. 

I wouldn't be opposed to Enrique. 

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I suspect that Conte also knows , which has probably added to the malaise .

That is not an unlikely scenario. Even when a Champions League place was up for grabs he rotated the squad. Looking at him on the sidelines told a story in itself. 

5 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Raneri as DoF anyone?