• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

Here's a question for those that think are players are not good enough.

Do you think Pedro, Willian, Hazard, Fabregas, Morata and Giroud would play better, score more and have more assists playing for a manager that played to the strengths like Guardiola?

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Do you think Pedro, Willian, Hazard, Fabregas, Morata and Giroud would play better, score more and have more assists playing for a manager that played to the strengths like Guardiola?

Interesting. Certainly some of them would. 

Giroud to be fair has done very well, and I stil think Morata will prove to be a good signing. First year in the PL is always challenging for players who come from a less physical league. 

Hazard, Willian and Pedro would all score much more playing for City because they attack in numbers. Nobody is going to conince me that Raheem Sterling is technically better than any of those 3 but he gets so much more space and opportunity because City commit so many bodies forward occupying defenders. 

Fabregas would also thrive if he had more options to hit. When we play 3-5-2, he has a number 9, and Hazard (who looks to come short) to pass to. The Fabregas trademark ball over the top is eliminated.  

16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Hazard, Willian and Pedro would all score much more playing for City because they attack in numbers. Nobody is going to conince me that Raheem Sterling is technically better than any of those 3 but he gets so much more space and opportunity because City commit so many bodies forward occupying defenders. 

Only Hazard would get in the side, replacing Sterling I expect , Pedro and Willian aren't as good as De Bruyne , Sane , David Silva and Bernardo Silva.

They'd be squad players.

Like they should be here.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Fabregas would also thrive if he had more options to hit. 

Yes Paul.  Indeed Pedro, Willian, Hazard, Fabregas, Morata and Giroud would play better, score more and have more assists playing  5 together instead of in 2s or 3s

City play 5 AMs/Strikers, so could we.  To be fair to them they do defend from the front too - and that is exhausting.  Towards the  end of the season with bigger but fewer games, Conte did play 523 with Fabregas - it does seem his first choice (as it was late last season when Matic got dropped).   But it demands rotation, and we barely have the first choices to do that.

xCELERYx   
7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Only Hazard would get in the side, replacing Sterling I expect , Pedro and Willian aren't as good as De Bruyne , Sane , David Silva and Bernardo Silva.

They'd be squad players.

Exactly this.

Plus, the reason the likes of Sterling score more than say someone like Willian is because he's got a far more direct game. Willian has never in his entire career been a prolific goal scorer or creator. This shows across his goal and assist return. When you have a direct player they're more likely to attack spaces and get into goal scoring positions more regularly because they aren't as concerned with always getting the ball.

We're not direct in our attacking play because we don't have direct players. Hence the endless step overs, reluctance to shoot, and continuous passing around the box until a poor pass or decision is made. 

11 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They'd be squad players.

I never asked if they would get into the city side.

Do you think they would be better, score more and get more assists if they were playing  for a manager that played to their strengths, like Guardiola?

Just now, xCELERYx said:

Exactly this.

Plus, the reason the likes of Sterling score more than say someone like Willian is because he's got a far more direct game. Willian has never in his entire career been a prolific goal scorer or creator. This shows across his goal and assist return. When you have a direct player they're more likely to attack spaces and get into goal scoring positions more regularly because they aren't as concerned with always getting the ball.

We're not direct in our attacking play because we don't have direct players. Hence the endless step overs, reluctance to shoot, and continuous passing around the box until a poor pass or decision is made. 

So are you also saying Pedro, Fabregas, Willian, Hazard, Morata and Giroud would be no better playing for a different manager that played to their strengths?

9 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I never asked if they would get into the city side.

Do you think they would be better, score more and get more assists if they were playing  for a manager that played to their strengths, like Guardiola?

I expect they would to a degree , but not massively , they're all flawed in one way or other . In fact out of all of them I think Pedro would probably thrive the most as he amongst them all is the most direct.  Hazard isn't clinical enough , Willian slows the play down too much or runs down blind alleys and loses the ball.

Didn't Guardiola famously say he'd need to sign ten players to take over Chelsea ? Good luck with that one Pep.

Anyway , you haven't said whether he should stay or go yet.

Edited by Mark Kelly

I have always leaned on the side of keeping Conte as I really don't think there is anyone out there who is better. However that team selection on Wednesday against Huddersfield left me without a reason for him to stay. It was almost a self destruct selection and I know people will claim that the team he picked should be able to do the job, but what was different this time was a sense that we had momentum and found a rhythm that may just get us into the top four, or at the very least take it to the last day of the season and who knows what may have happened. By leaving out Giroud and Hazard, who in my mind were the reasons for our run of wins just stopped that momentum in its tracks, for me that was unforgivable and just didn't make sense.

Of course we can still win the FA Cup and finish fifth, but isn't that what Arsenal have become these past years? no thanks!

8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I expect they would to a degree , but not massively , they're all flawed in one way or other . In fact out of all of them I think Pedro would probably thrive the most as he amongst them all is the most direct.  Hazard isn't clinical enough , Willian slows the play down too much or runs down blind alleys and loses the ball.

So the answer is all these players that are not good enough would in fact be better playing for a different manager?

Didn't Guardiola famously say he'd need to sign ten players to take over Chelsea ? Good luck with that one Pep.

Don't know, I'm pretty sure there was never any quotes.

Anyway , you haven't said whether he should stay or go yet.

I'm undecided