• Current Donation Goals

Martin1905

Official: Chelsea Part Ways With Antonio Conte

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sounds like a plan. The only question I'd have is that if we back him in the coming transfer market, and he gets us back into the CL as a result, why would we want to sack him then? Particularly if you consider that there probably aren't going to be too many  "better managerial options available" at the end of next season.

I don't think the club will want to build a long term future with him, but I can see why both parties might agree to suck it up and give it another year for the collective good. I can see why he would also want to leave if he felt he sufficiently repaired his reputation enough, and I can see why the club may not want to offer a renewal - even after relative success - to a guy who arguably sabotaged himself through sheer tantrums last season.

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

We'll also have a bunch of players that will be 30+ and out of contract as well. Even if Conte does well and leaves, we're not necessarily in a more attractive position either to have another quality manager step in. We're closer to requiring a full rebuild than we are to winning the title again, based on how things currently stand. 

Disagreed. Still, hopefully, a club that would have the likes of TC, Azpili, Alonso, Rudiger, Kante, and Hazard to work with, while also retaining experienced options like Cahill, Fabregas, Giroud and Willian on the books. This is excluding any great players we sign this season and also the decent squad options we actually do have.

Plus we would be in the UCL again and have a fair bit more revenue to invest and would have also demonstrated a commitment to honouring the previous coach's contract. 

How would that NOT be a more attractive option than we are at the moment??

12 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Sky Sports Italia are claiming that Conte has turned down the opportunity to join Real Madrid and remains intent on honouring his contract at Chelsea. 

Tells you a great deal about Sky Sports Italia.  It couldn't be taken seriously even as a direct quote for Conte himself.

12 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Given how things are panning out, perhaps keeping Conte for 1 more season wouldn't be the worst option. Let's be honest here...

About the worst option imaginable. Especially what he has said, and more so what he, the club and players have not said in last month.

12 hours ago, Leo91 said:

The players don't want to play for him! Cahill the club captain didn't back him in public so he has to go if the club are going to back Conte. As well as Rudiger, Hazard, Willian and Luiz who aren't fans of his tactics. If Conte stays, then, well, I don't know what to think anymore. 

I'm catching up , Leo91 is well ahead of me - quite right.

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

This is much more 'James Prescott' than it is 'Leo91'. How much of it is fact, or even reasonable guesswork, I wouldn't know tbh, but I'd suggest not much..

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

We'll also have a bunch of players that will be 30+ and out of contract as well. Even if Conte does well and leaves, we're not necessarily in a more attractive position either to have another quality manager step in. We're closer to requiring a full rebuild than we are to winning the title again, based on how things currently stand. 

This from Zaffo I do agree with.  The club no longer can finance a 10 year run, and this is the down turn of the last run which should all be greatful to have seen.
To some extent, given that we are in talent acquisition mode again, and no longer in to convert squad talent into trophy mode, we no longer need a big name manager, certainly a JM or Conte is not needed at this point in the cycle.

Sea foot   
18 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

This from Zaffo I do agree with.

This transfer window just gets weirder. I just don't know what to believe in these threads anymore. I've heard it all now. 😉

Edited by Sea foot
  • Like 2

Another rubbish summer due to managerial upheaval and no signings. :(

BlueFizz   
12 minutes ago, Richard Redmond said:

Another rubbish summer due to managerial upheaval and no signings. :(

People say that every summer. They’re either right or we win the league.

And it’s still early June: two and half months of summer left to fret through.

3 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

Indeed... not yet had a "full Prescott" where he posts 30 rumours, potential squad lists, lists of players we can sell, etc a day, day after day. Still much to look forward to. 😉 😉 😉

JaneB   
8 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed... not yet had a "full Prescott" where he posts 30 rumours, potential squad lists, lists of players we can sell, etc a day, day after day. Still much to look forward to. 😉 😉 😉

Give James a break 😟

Leo91   
3 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

Two and a half ? Doesn't the window close 1st August ?

BlueFizz   
1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

Two and a half ? Doesn't the window close 1st August ?

I guestimated. Apologies if wrong.

still plenty of time to not sack a coach and sign three new players.