• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

Recommended Posts

 

12 hours ago, chara said:

I think I have narrowed down one of the reasons for my.and others. lack of "excitement" regarding the Final.

I grew up in Kingsbury and Wembley was actually the closest big stadium to me. I first was taken there for an "Amateur Cup Final" way way back as a small lad..Hendon v Bishop Auckland..Hendon lost ..2-1 or 2-0 I think.

Two Chelsea FA Cup Finals a silly cup v Man City..all the 66 WC games except the Final..various Charity Shield or whatever it is/was called games..a Youth World Cup series of games and more Internationals than I can remember..we walked home from many games.

For all those games it was still a bit magical walking up to the "Twin Towers" a name that sadly has such a tragic other designation now.

Now an appearance at Wembley is somewhat ho hum...back in the day many top players never played at Wembley..not quite National team level or overlooked and club not in Final..now Wembley with Spurs is on every weekend and most regular EPL players get there at least once a season, In addition semis are played there plus promotion games etc.

I understand the business income issues but it no longer has a "SPECIAL" feel.

Do I hope Chelsea win?..of course..that goes for all Chelsea games from preseason games to Champions League Finals,

Does it feel "special" this weekend?..sadly no....important for me as a fan..of course..but the same as before?...not the gut-wrenching anticipation and the "National" day feeling.

 

The Millenium Stadium finals felt more like the traditional vibes than New Wembley does. 

It’s a mixture of influences. The media focus on the PL and CL alongside the corporatised feel of the new stadium and hosting all manner of things there. 

I was born in the 90s, I feel like my generation is the last that will truly know what the Cup was about. Even many people my age don’t value it. 

But that also brings in a wider debate of how much football culture has changed. Many people don’t engage with it in the same way they would have if we were born in earlier decades. It’s so much of a sanitised and sterilised product now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BlueFizz said:

Good points. I’m a bit jaded (“so what”) too and can give two further reasons:

1. For us, given our incredible success over the past 12 years or so, the cup is only the icing on the cake, not the cake. If we’d won the league I’m sure this would feel less of a consolation.

2. I don’t know your age, but I was a vigorous 33 in 1994 but am now a less vigorous 57! It’s age mate! Whisky improve but in humans everything gets less surprising and exciting. I fully expect my 79 year old dad to doze off at Wembley this saturday, even if we edge an 5-4 thriller.

Well you are extremely old. Probably too old for football but I will add this. Back in the day Bluefizz, my grandfather use to tell me that there was no live football every weekend on tv. The Big Match highlights with Brian Moore was about as good as it got ( they would often show the chelsea game). People use to actually think a football match was only 15 mins long! 

When the final came around it was a major event. Not just 90 mins football but the whole day devoted to it....player waking up, players having breakfast, 're runs of games, players getting on coach and then off it.  The pitch always looked incredible and hadn't been recently soiled on by Spurs players.

It was fantastic ( or so my grandad said) . Now it's just a trophy to brag a bit about.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well you are extremely old. Probably too old for football but I will add this. Back in the day Bluefizz, my grandfather use to tell me that there was no live football every weekend on tv. The Big Match highlights with Brian Moore was about as good as it got ( they would often show the chelsea game). People use to actually think a football match was only 15 mins long! 

When the final came around it was a major event. Not just 90 mins football but the whole day devoted to it....player waking up, players having breakfast, 're runs of games, players getting on coach and then off it.  The pitch always looked incredible and hadn't been recently soiled on by Spurs players.

It was fantastic ( or so my grandad said) . Now it's just a trophy to brag a bit about.  

I remember those days. A one hour long MotD on Saturday night on BBC1 featuring two games (not always from the First Division, either!) then The Big Match on ITV on a Sunday afternoon... again an hour long (less with the ad break) and a couple of games. That was your lot. The only live games during a normal season were the League and FA Cup finals, the "Home Internationals", and if an English team made it, a European Final of some sort (with the continuity announcer saying something like 'viewers in Scotland have their own programmes' / 'for viewers in Scotland, Sportscene is about to begin'). We are spoilt now, so yes, the FA Cup Final is no longer a game much of the country would watch, no matter the allegiance.

Edited by Bob Singleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
12 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

. We are spoilt now, so yes, the FA Cup Final is no longer a game much of the country would watch, no matter the allegiance.

That doesn't just apply to the FA cup though. When I started getting into football round about 1990, the only live game a week was the Sunday match on ITV. It didn't matter who was playing, I would watch it religiously. They would also show Saturday's goals either at half time or after the game, I don't remember. Now, unless it is Chelsea, I can take it or leave it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2018 at 4:44 PM, Gormangorman said:

I never fell for the whole wenger brainwashing nonsense he was just an average football manager no more no less 

Not so. Not at all. When Viera, Petit, Henry, Pires etc were playing, their brand of pass and move football was the best there's been in the PL. It was played at such pace. Some of the wins at Anfield stick in my mind in particular and there were other grandstand performances against Manure too. 

Allardyce, Pardew, Moyes etc etc are average football managers and whatever you think of Wenger he turned out a different quality of product. He followed an attritional, grind it out successful Arsenal manager and changed the entire ethos of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well you are extremely old. Probably too old for football but I will add this. Back in the day Bluefizz, my grandfather use to tell me that there was no live football every weekend on tv. The Big Match highlights with Brian Moore was about as good as it got ( they would often show the chelsea game). People use to actually think a football match was only 15 mins long! 

When the final came around it was a major event. Not just 90 mins football but the whole day devoted to it....player waking up, players having breakfast, 're runs of games, players getting on coach and then off it.  The pitch always looked incredible and hadn't been recently soiled on by Spurs players.

It was fantastic ( or so my grandad said) . Now it's just a trophy to brag a bit about.  

57? Extremely old? 

I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

57? Extremely old? 

I see.

I don't know what he's doing on this forum at that age!  Probably drinking his dinner through a straw and waiting for someone to take him to the toilet after. Age can be a cruel mistress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueFizz   
Just now, NoblyBobly said:

I don't know what he's doing on this forum at that age!  Probably drinking his dinner through a straw and waiting for someone to take him to the toilet after. Age can be a cruel mistress. 

Watch it son! I ran a 10k earlier today; fitter than I’ve ever been - just can’t remember where I live or what my name is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BlueFizz said:

Watch it son! I ran a 10k earlier today; fitter than I’ve ever been - just can’t remember where I live or what my name is.

55 and I was still doing 10ks in less than an hour (at 18 stone)

57 and I couldn't jog more than 1k at a time (and no heavier and no illness or serious injury).
Once you slow down at this age it goes very very very fast (and I can't run much more than 1500m at three quarters that pace after about 70 trips to the gym this year).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
5 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Not so. Not at all. When Viera, Petit, Henry, Pires etc were playing, their brand of pass and move football was the best there's been in the PL. It was played at such pace. Some of the wins at Anfield stick in my mind in particular and there were other grandstand performances against Manure too. 

Allardyce, Pardew, Moyes etc etc are average football managers and whatever you think of Wenger he turned out a different quality of product. He followed an attritional, grind it out successful Arsenal manager and changed the entire ethos of the team.

Spot on pete arsenal were a joy to watch when Wenger took over and won trophies. He has lost his way in football(like mourhino) because the game has changed and he hasn't changed with it - however I think he is a thoroughly honest person with integrity and intelligence unlike his accuser of being a 'specialist in failer'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.