• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

22 minutes ago, chara said:

Now..give Sarri some credit..he has brought on CHO to the point he has an England call up...

Just in case anyone misses the sarcasm I'd better confess to that.

It really shows how small the pool available to Southgate is.... when I think back to so many players at Chelsea (and the rest of the league). who didn't get a call up but were as good if not better than the present selections it makes me shake my head.

I reckon you've been living in the former colony for too long Chara.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Now..give Sarri some credit..he has brought on CHO to the point he has an England call up...

Just in case anyone misses the sarcasm I'd better confess to that.

It really shows how small the pool available to Southgate is.... when I think back to so many players at Chelsea (and the rest of the league). who didn't get a call up but were as good if not better than the present selections it makes me shake my head.

Generally I really can't be bothered with the national team and so I am quite happy he is picking young players and I hope he is given time to develop them. If he is then maybe in 3 or 4 years we can look forward to an exciting team that has grown together. I may start watching them again if so, as I had given up on all the ageing (no)bodies England had before. TBH ageing bodies sounds a bit like our team. Unfortunately I can't give them up.

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

And some clubs sack managers quicker than others. Carlo worked at Chelsea, PSG and RM post Milan. If he had chosen clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Barcelona, United, Juventus - would the results have been the same? I doubt it. Try not to disregard the fact that he served for a genuinely lengthy period over at AC Milan and I doubt you can ignore the fact that the loyalty of the likes of Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Pirlo and Seedorf would have played a big part in that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to slate Ancelotti. And it does say something about him that big clubs wanted him. But I'd stand by the assertion that he was never, ever much of a tactician. People management was his game, and perhaps he did last longer than others could in some difficult environments. 

But he's got the sack, and got it often. Just as all bar maybe two or three top managers have, and their times will come in all likelihood. 

4 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to slate Ancelotti. And it does say something about him that big clubs wanted him

I do.

Sacked at Parma after 2 years
Sacked at Juve after 28 months (the announcement was made to the crowd at half-time on the last day of the season - which is 45 mins earlier than he got sacked at Chelsea),
Sacked at Chelsea 2 years
Walked out at PSG after 18 months
Sacked at RM after 2 years
Sacked at BM after 14 months
Now at Napoli

Yes he has managed PSG, RM and BM, though only 4 full seasons between them.  8 years at AC Milan was the main achievement

14 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

But he's got the sack, and got it often. Just as all bar maybe two or three top managers have, and their times will come in all likelihood. 

And got it quick.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Napoli under Sarri competed with Juve.  Just 4 or 5 points behind in the last 2 seasons.  CA is 15 points behind with a quarter of the season left.

Don't kid yourself that CA was the chosen one at Napoli.  They would have preferred Sarri to stay.  

I’ve never tried to compare Sarri’s performance at Napoli to Carlo Ancelotti’s.

In fact, I said that Napoli was a top job to take over and that was obviously largely because of Sarri. 

The issue is that renders your original point that Carlo doesn’t continue to get recognized for success and, as a result, also continues to get top positions in football nonsensical. 

2 league titles and a UCL title post Chelsea. A few cups as well. Successful at clubs in Italy, England, France, Spain, Germany. That’s literally a top CV. Name me one manager outside of Pep and JM with that sort of track record? 

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I do.

Sacked at Parma after 2 years
Sacked at Juve after 28 months (the announcement was made to the crowd at half-time on the last day of the season - which is 45 mins earlier than he got sacked at Chelsea),
Sacked at Chelsea 2 years
Walked out at PSG after 18 months
Sacked at RM after 2 years
Sacked at BM after 14 months
Now at Napoli

Yes he has managed PSG, RM and BM, though only 4 full seasons between them.  8 years at AC Milan was the main achievement

And got it quick.

Umm 

usual disjointed facts to rubbish a very good manager  

Somewhere in Carlos post Chelsea years didn’t he pick up a couple of titles and trophies, including the big one at RM, something your beloved JM couldn’t do in 3 seasons?

Carlo did the double at Chelsea, where’s that on JM CV?

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

11 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

usual disjointed facts to rubbish a very good manager  

I don't think you have the slightest idea what a "fact" is.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think you have the slightest idea what a "fact" is.

Certainly do

watch the facts of life on tv at school when I was 10. 

chara   
On 3/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, PeteRobbo said:

I reckon you've been living in the former colony for too long Chara.

Sorry took so long to respond PR....you are absolutely right..love it here in Colorado (20 years now)although it's been a cold winter but have got so used to either holding my tongue or having to explain a comeback. Which of course defeats the object!

It's even harder for my wife who has only been here six years and she is far more "social" than me and although she is also far nicer than me she is forever coming home from such and such  ladies group shaking her head at the somewhat less than sharp retorts apart from a very nice Canadian lady who "gets it" as she says.

Started so I'll finish... a girl I worked with was telling a story based in the ski areas just over the divide from us relating to a mix up with the local police depts...Silverthorne Breckenridge and Keystone as I recall...her despairing final comment was "How could you tell which were the Keystone cops (honestly!)...my instant reply of course was "They were the ones in Black and White"...I collapsed as did my dept manager but the sweet girl looked on in absolute mystery..see what I mean?

1 hour ago, chara said:

Sorry took so long to respond PR....you are absolutely right..love it here in Colorado (20 years now)although it's been a cold winter but have got so used to either holding my tongue or having to explain a comeback. Which of course defeats the object!

It's even harder for my wife who has only been here six years and she is far more "social" than me and although she is also far nicer than me she is forever coming home from such and such  ladies group shaking her head at the somewhat less than sharp retorts apart from a very nice Canadian lady who "gets it" as she says.

Started so I'll finish... a girl I worked with was telling a story based in the ski areas just over the divide from us relating to a mix up with the local police depts...Silverthorne Breckenridge and Keystone as I recall...her despairing final comment was "How could you tell which were the Keystone cops (honestly!)...my instant reply of course was "They were the ones in Black and White"...I collapsed as did my dept manager but the sweet girl looked on in absolute mystery..see what I mean?

I certainly do mate. But then I speak as someone who, while travelling on Greyhound in the mid-west was asked:

a) D'ya all speak English in England?

b) Did ya come over from England on the bus?

c) D'ya have rock music in England?

I also overheard a group of girls talking about Canada in which it became apparent that they all thought it was a state of the union!