• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

27 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Any form of Champions League qualification should see him keep his job heading into next season IMO.

Personally, I think that he'll keep his job anyway. For another season, at least.

27 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Champions League qualification and a transfer window to do business in would set us up nicely for next year.

Can't see that happening this year, tbh. 

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Can't see that happening this year, tbh. 

That’s the sad thing about his situation IMO. How can we ever get a fair estimation of his ability without him having the same terms as everyone else? 

Sarri isn’t a coach whose methods would yield instantaneous results (if any at all) like Mourinho or Conte. He is more of a “builder” IMO. I would have liked to have seen him have a year to assess the squad and a transfer window or 2 to work in as the team clearly can improve in certain departments (both fullbacks, a centre back, a midfielder or 2, a winger or 2 and a centre forward). Potentially 8 players to sign - that would usually be a 2 window job.

I think we have to judge Sarri on points, and on points relative to what the squad is realisitically able to achieve. My position all season is that we will either make it or miss out by a few points, so in that sense I think you have to say any manager here has done a satisfactory job if they get 70-75 points. I think we will (72 or 73 for me). That would be a very slight, almost to the point of negligible improvement on last year in absolute terms, and I think a slightly more impressive tally given the current shape of the squad.

What 72 or 73 points is going to get you this year is a really tough call. Only a month left of the season and it's anyone's guess. Can't remember a season like it.

Regardless of what I think should or should not happen, I'm fairly confident he will not get the sack. That's not who we can afford to be right now.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:41 AM, xCELERYx said:

Where we end up finishing this season under Sarri is neither here nor there for me. Unless he was to walk in and win the league - or at least genuinely challenge, it's always been more about how he approached and handled the role than anything else.

Well quite - he has done a brilliant job, hasn't he.  And with that rag tag bag of not good enough extras the last guy brought in too.  Well done Sarri.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:41 AM, xCELERYx said:

Was never one that got dragged into the hype of Sarri when he arrived in Serie A.

Nevermind, ask Blue Rod - if you wait 15 years he is sure to have failed (or retired).  Stick to your guns.

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Personally, I think that he'll keep his job anyway. For another season, at least.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I think we have to judge Sarri on points, and on points relative to what the squad is realisitically able to achieve

Yes - on points he has already been  success, and that is the basic measure.  CA got sacked after 2nd place, but on points it was 71 points, 12 lower than any of the previous 6 seasons.  We are on course for 76 points, and while admittedly no Chelsea manager has survived the season with less than 82 points, I think Sarri is now safe (and the decision has already been made, I am sure of that - bar an unexpected takeover).

10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

(Summer window) Can't see that happening this year, tbh. 

I feel confident we will get this window - the FIFA appeal should be complete this month, and so we get to go to ACAS then.  ACAS are the sensible people.

The question then is whether we get 1 window blocks (January would be no problem) or 2.  Best plan for both.

7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

That’s the sad thing about his situation IMO. How can we ever get a fair estimation of his ability without him having the same terms as everyone else? 

Sarri isn’t a coach whose methods would yield instantaneous results (if any at all) like Mourinho or Conte. He is more of a “builder” IMO. 

Unfortunately he’s been building teams for twenty years and won nothing. 

If he fails to get into the top 4 or win the el. Keeping him for another season would be a change of philosophy by the club. It would also mean he would need to hit the ground running next season with regards to style and applicaton. 

Personally I do not believe the crowd would be so patient If the team continued to produce lethargic games against lower opposition. 

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well quite - he has done a brilliant job, hasn't he.  And with that rag tag bag of not good enough extras the last guy brought in too.  Well done Sarri.

Nevermind, ask Blue Rod - if you wait 15 years he is sure to have failed (or retired).  Stick to your guns.

Yes - on points he has already been  success, and that is the basic measure.  CA got sacked after 2nd place, but on points it was 71 points, 12 lower than any of the previous 6 seasons.  We are on course for 76 points, and while admittedly no Chelsea manager has survived the season with less than 82 points, I think Sarri is now safe (and the decision has already been made, I am sure of that - bar an unexpected takeover).

I feel confident we will get this window - the FIFA appeal should be complete this month, and so we get to go to ACAS then.  ACAS are the sensible people.

The question then is whether we get 1 window blocks (January would be no problem) or 2.  Best plan for both.

So you think we are on course for 76 points and sarri has been successful...no offense but you must delusional 

16 minutes ago, Aussie1979 said:

So you think we are on course for 76 points and sarri has been successful...no offense but you must delusional 

I'd be offended if you thought I was wrong about the arithmetic of 66 points in 33 games being on course for 76 in 38.

As for Sarri being successful, it is quite clear he has been a success.  You can't offend anyone but yourself by challenging that.

Well I hope We would get what your asking for  points wise but going on are away performances against the top teams so far  this season have been awful so I honestly can’t see us picking up points against Liverpool or utd  so I’m expecting 70 points 73 max we have only beat  1 team in the top 12 Watford away do your confidence in getting 76 is a stretch 

Edited by Aussie1979

Leo91   

I'm not sure what people want or expect to be happening. Wasn't it general consensus before the season started we weren't going to challenge for the league. Look where we are, with 5 games left we're mixing it with Spurs, Utd and Arsenal for top 4. Exactly where we should be.