• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

10 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Umm

whats he done in 4 years at the dippers?

Well they're doing well this season for sure. The worst they can finish is second.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

When you consider that last season our manager had completely given up by Christmas, and in turn half the players had too, I don't consider getting roughly the same points total as particularly impressive. That's with a squad with far more useable players - we've replaced the duds Drinkwater and Bakayoko with Jorginho, RLC, Kovacic. Emerson and Barkley are now fit enough to play, swapping the keepers was like for like and we've bought in the managers favoured striker. On top of that we bought in a manager who proclaimed he would rather improve the players he had than spend money, and to bring his brand of expansive football. All of that for a couple of extra points and a swing of 5 goals or so in our goal difference, all of which is largely attributable to Hazard having a good season compared to last.

I'm not one of those saying Sarri is useless, out of his depth etc but I am equally surprised anyone is claiming he has done anything even slightly remarkable. He has done the bare minimum IMO.

"decent achievement" was the phrase I used. 

For a team without a half decent striker, we are doing as well as can be expected 

29 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

A game we had to win and we start without a CF. So why when we had to score did he bring on a CF if he doesnt see that as the way to score and win.

I think he set us up for a draw and then his hand was forced.

But then I wonder why he wouldnt throw caution to the wind and go 2 up front. Losing 2-0 or 4-0 wouldnt have made a difference, but we may have got back into it. All games are finals at this stage.

no, we didn't -  a draw would have been fine. 

I guess he was hoping for a repeat of the 2 games we played a false 9 against City.

Holymoly   

I'd say Sarri is lucky to have been in post during a period when Roman has lost a degree of interest in the club. If he had been sitting in his box every game as during the early years of his regime I'm pretty sure Sarri would have been gone by Christmas. As it is he will make it to the end of the season and his future will depend on whether or not the board can find anyone remotely suitable to replace him. A squad of sheep without Hazard and replacements unlikely it looks like being a gig destined to fail next year. Hopefully SFL will turn his mobile off over the summer.

Edited by Holymoly

2 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

When you consider that last season our manager had completely given up by Christmas, and in turn half the players had too, I don't consider getting roughly the same points total as particularly impressive. That's with a squad with far more useable players - we've replaced the duds Drinkwater and Bakayoko with Jorginho, RLC, Kovacic. Emerson and Barkley are now fit enough to play, swapping the keepers was like for like and we've bought in the managers favoured striker. On top of that we bought in a manager who proclaimed he would rather improve the players he had than spend money, and to bring his brand of expansive football. All of that for a couple of extra points and a swing of 5 goals or so in our goal difference, all of which is largely attributable to Hazard having a good season compared to last.

I'm not one of those saying Sarri is useless, out of his depth etc but I am equally surprised anyone is claiming he has done anything even slightly remarkable. He has done the bare minimum IMO.

I think that is unfair on Conte.  It is right to have a properly nuanced view on him.  His relations with club were a disgrace.  But the players were absolutely knackered, played 24 games in 11 and a half weeks, and the newcomers in Jan 2018 weren't ready until after that run.
All things considered he did a pretty good job with the players he had.   But a lousy job in buying players quite unsuited to the club.

... Jorginho, RLC, Kovacic. Emerson and Barkley are now fit enough to play, 

Only Jorginho has been a starter in a proper Chelsea team.  Sarri has been swamped with mediocrity and given one AM or CF in his 20s.  Last year the squad was getting weaker.  That continued this season (though at least without any silly outright purchases).

6 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I'd say Sarri is lucky to have been in post during a period when Roman has lost a degree of interest in the club. If he had been sitting in his box every game as during the early years of his regime I'm pretty sure Sarri would have been gone by Christmas. As it is he will make it to the end of the season and his future will depend on whether or not the board can find anyone remotely suitable to replace him. A squad of sheep without Hazard and replacements unlikely it looks like being a gig destined to fail next year. Hopefully SFL will turn his mobile off over the summer.

I think you'll find he have gone soon enough if RA didn't think the performances were good enough.  This is a post PL winning squad, not yet a pre-PL winning squad, and certainly not one where RA or anyone else has high expectations.  70+ points is fine.

SFL has not improved Derby this season - why on earth would he get a call from Chelsea now?  

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well they're doing well this season for sure. The worst they can finish is second.

And probably without any silverware.

Whereas good old Chelsea have won a considerable amount of silverware since the start of klopp’s tenure at the dippers  

nobody ever remembers someone coming second?

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

And probably without any silverware.

Whereas good old Chelsea have won a considerable amount of silverware since the start of klopp’s tenure at the dippers  

Scousers dont actually care about winning anything now, its all about the history

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

In the first place that isn’t necessarily true and in the second he's still put together a good team who are prominent in the major competitions.

16 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

In the first place that isn’t necessarily true and in the second he's still put together a good team who are prominent in the major competitions.

Absolutely 

so at next years masters who will they remember ?

T. Woods

X. Schauffele

D. Johnson

6 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Absolutely 

so at next years masters who will they remember ?

T. Woods

X. Schauffele

D. Johnson

Crap, what happened to Molinari, he was cruising.

But the funny thing is when Liverpool come second we do remember. Who will ever forget the Stevie G slip. In fact I dont remember who came first that season.

12 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

. In fact I dont remember who came first that season.

That’s because you are getting old :0)

Amnesias come to all of us eventually 

doff my hate to Tiger and not forgetting the hillsborough 96

Edited by RobertoftheGiz