• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

On 11/6/2018 at 1:37 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Unfortunately, Butch was an alcoholic. It's something he battled with for many years.

23 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Yep. Something to be proud of the club on; it was absolutely hammered by the fans and press over Wilkins being let go but never once briefed against him. 

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Yes. With the club getting dog's abuse for removing him from his post, it would have been easy to publicise his alcoholism 

Maybe it's jst me, but is it really a viable reason to fire someone because they're an alcoholic? Wouldn't treatment be a better way out? Maybe something more serious had happened (I.e. Wilkins turnin up drunk to a team event/trip/training) and then it's more understandable. 

But there's plenty of functional addicts out there who never get fired due to their demons because it doesn't impede their professional lives. 

But I don't have the full picture so shouldn't judge, thx for the info though guys!

paulw66   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Maybe it's jst me, but is it really a viable reason to fire someone because they're an alcoholic? Wouldn't treatment be a better way out? Maybe something more serious had happened (I.e. Wilkins turnin up drunk to a team event/trip/training) and then it's more understandable. 

From what I understand, that was happening. 

Maybe he wasn't "fired" as such, maybe they did offer help, but either way, if he was losing his battle with alcohol, there is no way he could continue being a coach. 

paulw66   
Just now, keith9351 said:

Don't think he was fired, just end of contract.

No, he left mid season and nobody knew why at the time. 

11 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Maybe it's jst me, but is it really a viable reason to fire someone because they're an alcoholic?... 

But I don't have the full picture... 

Edited for length... None of us have the full picture in fairness and I won't claim otherwise, but my understanding is that alcohol and its impact was a problem in the workplace. Very few people will be kept in roles where that is the case, and fairly often it wouldn't even be ethical for employees to allow them to stay. 

We have seen some growing pains in the last few weeks and of course there is nothing like a derby defeat to bring out emotional opinions. 4th is about where we are at right now and where we all hoped to be by the end of the season. Pochettino is in the 5th year of his project, Klopp the 4th, Pep and Jose the 3rd and of course Sarri and Emery year 1. Besides Arsenal these are teams that are almost at the peak of their projects and it's not really fair to compare this team with any of them besides Arsenal. 

Spurs and Liverpool look complete teams and had City not been around would both have had a genuine shot at winning the league. I see it as quite funny that both finally get their act together and they have to compete with an unstoppable machine. Spurs did have  a few sniffs of the league under Pocch but both came early on when they hilariously bottled it. The bad news for Spurs is the only way from here is down.

Levy won't go and buy the premium final jigsaw signings like the best teams always have done, E.g. Costa/Cesc, Van Dijk/Allison and Van Persie as he has a very expensive stadium to pay for. Zero signings last summer and players like Eriksen who are very difficult to replace are running down their contract. From here Spurs only sign young players and that means their time is probably this season or never. Real/PSG likely to go big for Poch and if he goes it falls apart. 

Its easy to forget that we started the summer with Conte as manager. We brought in a new man with a totally opposite philosophy of football and due to the World Cup had barely a squad available 2 weeks before the season. At the moment I think we all agree that the football quality had been mixed. When it's bad it's like watching  Arsenal which hurts but we've put faith in Sarri for a reason so I'm interested to see him do things his own way. 

I really hope he does make some tweaks. Priority should be getting Cesc on the pitch from the beginning in the number 8 role that no one else is nailing. Secondly play Hazard as a false 9 and get our 3 best attackers on the pitch from the start. Play Willian from the left where he is most effective and rest all three in the Thursday league. Come January find the best suited physical AM we can find that can play as a striker pay what is needed. Arnautovic may not have long on his contract and wants out, could be a good short term solution and still a couple years younger than Giroud. Richarlison and Zaha also both great long term alternatives. 

Edited by samhoward17

5 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

We have seen some growing pains in the last few weeks and of course there is nothing like a derby defeat to bring out emotional opinions. 4th is about where we are at right now and where we all hoped to be by the end of the season. Pochettino is in the 5th year of his project, Klopp the 4th, Pep and Jose the 3rd and of course Sarri and Emery year 1. Besides Arsenal these are teams that are almost at the peak of their projects and it's not really fair to compare this team with any of them besides Arsenal. 

Spurs and Liverpool look complete teams and had City not been around would both have had a genuine shot at winning the league. I see it as quite funny that both finally get their act together and they have to compete with an unstoppable machine. Spurs did have  a few sniffs of the league under Pocch but both came early on when they hilariously bottled it. The bad news for Spurs is the only way from here is down.

Levy won't go and buy the premium final jigsaw signings like the best teams always have done, E.g. Costa/Cesc, Van Dijk/Allison and Van Persie as he has a very expensive stadium to pay for. Zero signings last summer and players like Eriksen who are very difficult to replace are running down their contract. From here Spurs only sign young players and that means their time is probably this season or never. Real/PSG likely to go big for Poch and if he goes it falls apart. 

Its easy to forget that we started the summer with Conte as manager. We brought in a new man with a totally opposite philosophy of football and due to the World Cup had barely a squad available 2 weeks before the season. At the moment I think we all agree that the football quality had been mixed. When it's bad it's like watching  Arsenal which hurts but we've put faith in Sarri for a reason so I'm interested to see him do things his own way. 

This just about sums it up for me. I think we are exactly where we all expected to be yet it doesn't seem enough for some. It's a strange situation,  if you look through the 'season expectations' thread the vast majority of people had us finishing 4th or lower, the odd person said 3rd, yet that no longer seems good enough and some are already suggesting Sarri is under huge pressure. Personally I'm of the opinion that he should be given time and money to implement what he wants to do. There have been some very encouraging signs, yes the last few weeks have been poor but we have played some fantastic football at times albeit in increasingly small patches.

5 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

I really hope he does make some tweaks. Priority should be getting Cesc on the pitch from the beginning in the number 8 role that no one else is nailing. Secondly play Hazard as a false 9 and get our 3 best attackers on the pitch from the start. Play Willian from the left where he is most effective and rest all three in the Thursday league. Come January find the best suited physical AM we can find that can play as a striker pay what is needed. Arnautovic may not have long on his contract and wants out, could be a good short term solution and still a couple years younger than Giroud. Richarlison and Zaha also both great long term alternatives. 

Agree that Fabregas needs to be in this side, one way or another. Most will argue he's not mobile enough or too weak defensively but he is so perfect for Sarriball it's a massive shame he's hardly featured. 

I don't know how he fits in, personally I'd like to see him with Jorginho and Kante but I get the arguments people would make as to why it wouldn't work. Kante is that good at winning the ball back that I feel if he played slightly behind the two it may just work and make up for both their defensive frailties. 

Kovacic, I still believe is a quality footballer but quite cleary isn't a number 8. I thought he may adapt but it's evident already he won't. I'd like to see him played in Jorginhos role as he offers more defensively, if we continue playing a deep lying playmaker.

We have five very, very good midfielders but the balance isn't quite right. A bit of tweaking and I'm sure things will come good. In an ideal world we'd go all out for Milinkovic Savic but that is highly unlikely. 

The other option is to revert to 4231 play Kante and Jorginho together and then Willian, Hazard and Pedro in front of them, although I like you want to see them three together  in our current system. 

As for a striker, I think we may have to go down the route you suggest as there are hardly any top quality out and out strikers anywhere. I'm not sure who the answer is but we are in desperate need of someone and if we don't get them we will be in serious trouble.

7 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Priority should be getting Cesc on the pitch from the beginning in the number 8 role that no one else is nailing.

Quite.  I have still no idea why we make so much effort around Jorginho to get time on the ball, and then don't employ Fabregas to use it.

Its easy to forget that we started the summer with Conte as manager.

You could argue that Sarri wasn't appointed till late, though I'm pretty sure he was preparing for the role from the last game of Serie A.  
But I don't think anyone can claim that Conte was really our manager from that Willian tweet the day after the  cup final.

Richarlison and Zaha also both great long term alternatives.

I can't see Everton selling Richarlison for less than £100n.  They bought Lukaku for £25 and sold him for £75+m  And they haven't sat on that money.  
Richarlison cost 35 increasing to £50m, why would Everton sell unless they double that money?

But a great player I agree, shame we didn't go for him last year.  So much like Costa, a biggish wide player with a streak of the devil in him, turning into a smallish CF with enough aggression to make up the inches. Came to  Europe to make his name, and made sure he went to clubs that would pick him the most, not play him the most.  Either very smart or with a very smart Agent. Still just 21. Loved him since his first few Watford games.

Zaha is 26, so not that long term.  Great at Palace, disappointing elsewhere - who does that remind me of.  

2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Kovacic, I still believe is a quality footballer but quite cleary isn't a number 8. I thought he may adapt but it's evident already he won't. I'd like to see him played in Jorginhos role as he offers more defensively, if we continue playing a deep lying playmaker.

Yes Kovacic is a back up Jorginho - but 3rd after Kante for most, and 3rd after Fabregas for Sarri.  He is close to good enough for Chelsea if not quite right for No 8.  He'd be an asset to most PL clubs.  But I am not quite sure what he is doing on RM's books.  Not their kind of player at all.  (Do like the boxer looks though, very retro, very Webb & McCreadie in the yellow shirts, even if the shorts are much much too big now).

The other option is to revert to 4231 play Kante and Jorginho together and then Willian, Hazard and Pedro in front of them,

This is best IMO.

In some ways to get the best from Kante going forward we have to think of Ramires who had similar physical abilities (without the psychic ones) and who scored his most famous, fabulous goal when actually playing RB.   Kante should be breaking from deep and arriving completely on his own, not standing close behind the striker.  The deeper his starting position the better.

As for a striker, I think we may have to go down the route you suggest as there are hardly any top quality out and out strikers anywhere. I'm not sure who the answer is but we are in desperate need of someone and if we don't get them we will be in serious trouble.

Is this a 2/3 year recycling of the squad or an immediate attempt to be in the top 2?  
I think that is the core question.  In the summer I reckoned it would be a long term plan, but Jorginho and good form did make it look like there was a short term plan.
A couple of disappointments on, and it looks like a long term plan again - in which case Morata/Giroud, no younger AM, Luiz are all acceptable (though Hazard and Kante might be frustrated when they are at their peak, and the team is treading water).

Short term, Giroud is the answer - if he were for sale we would buy him again.  Long term another player is necessary.  I can't see Hazard as 9 or false 9.  It works for the odd game,  but if opponents spend 2 days in training preparing for it, it is sure to fail.  (Against Spurs Sarri tried it for 10 mins, then moved on to Plan C - I like the JM style use of subs for short term tactical ploys).

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Zaha is 26, so not that long term.  Great at Palace, disappointing elsewhere - who does that remind me of.  

You mean the 28 minutes he played at United?

8 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You mean the 28 minutes he played at United?

Can we get past this nonsense that not being picked means the manager is at fault, whether it is Salah or Kyle Scott.