• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

On 11/6/2018 at 1:37 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Unfortunately, Butch was an alcoholic. It's something he battled with for many years.

23 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Yep. Something to be proud of the club on; it was absolutely hammered by the fans and press over Wilkins being let go but never once briefed against him. 

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Yes. With the club getting dog's abuse for removing him from his post, it would have been easy to publicise his alcoholism 

Maybe it's jst me, but is it really a viable reason to fire someone because they're an alcoholic? Wouldn't treatment be a better way out? Maybe something more serious had happened (I.e. Wilkins turnin up drunk to a team event/trip/training) and then it's more understandable. 

But there's plenty of functional addicts out there who never get fired due to their demons because it doesn't impede their professional lives. 

But I don't have the full picture so shouldn't judge, thx for the info though guys!

paulw66   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Maybe it's jst me, but is it really a viable reason to fire someone because they're an alcoholic? Wouldn't treatment be a better way out? Maybe something more serious had happened (I.e. Wilkins turnin up drunk to a team event/trip/training) and then it's more understandable. 

From what I understand, that was happening. 

Maybe he wasn't "fired" as such, maybe they did offer help, but either way, if he was losing his battle with alcohol, there is no way he could continue being a coach. 

paulw66   
Just now, keith9351 said:

Don't think he was fired, just end of contract.

No, he left mid season and nobody knew why at the time. 

11 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Maybe it's jst me, but is it really a viable reason to fire someone because they're an alcoholic?... 

But I don't have the full picture... 

Edited for length... None of us have the full picture in fairness and I won't claim otherwise, but my understanding is that alcohol and its impact was a problem in the workplace. Very few people will be kept in roles where that is the case, and fairly often it wouldn't even be ethical for employees to allow them to stay.