• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

chara   
48 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Wouldn't bother me if was to leave to be honest. His attitude and unprofessionalism last season, coupled with another inconsistent season should have resulted in him being moved on then. His form this season has hardly been impressive either. I think next season is his last here anyway at most, as I can't see Willian being the type to take one year extensions once his current deal ends in 2020. 

And if it comes down to only being able to keep one of Pedro or Willian at the end of this season, Pedro is the obvious choice. 

Have to agree..always liked Pedro. All players have "lesser" games but Willian of late seems to be unable to influence a game.

I can't work it out if Chelsea are starting a big "rebuild" quietly or just muddling through with bits of sense and bits of foolishness!

New Keeper...as effective as TC so far without the attitude and looks like the ability to progress...CHO and RLC getting time...older players moving on...one young potentially good signing for next season. Once the foolishness of buying "older" strikers" is disregarded as the rubbish I think (hope) it is then maybe decent signings will follow...

Still don't think Sarri is up to it and do not want to see SFL or JT here in the foreseeable future..let them sink or swim in their first efforts..and of course I wish them both all the best and the well wishes possible...

Sciatika   

I am probably in a minority here but I think Willian gives us something that the others don't. I think when we are struggling to break a team down, it is often Willian that generates the impetus to attack and his pace on the counter is invaluable. The understanding between Luiz and Willian is scary sometimes. We bemoan that we cannot break teams down and then criticise one of our most effective weapons on the counter. If I had to criticise anything, I would like to see him use the width of the pitch a bit more. Cutting in from the right is fine, but you have to keep the defender guessing about which way you will go. And there is nothing quite like getting behind the defence to cause a pair of CBs to face the wrong way and the inevitable mistakes that follow. However, that criticism is true of others too. There are times when we play like we still have wing backs to supply width and the AMs attack diagonally. Under Sarri it is frequently the wide AMs that need to provide width or penetration.

paulw66   
16 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

I am probably in a minority here but I think Willian gives us something that the others don't. I think when we are struggling to break a team down, it is often Willian that generates the impetus to attack and his pace on the counter is invaluable. The understanding between Luiz and Willian is scary sometimes. We bemoan that we cannot break teams down and then criticise one of our most effective weapons on the counter. If I had to criticise anything, I would like to see him use the width of the pitch a bit more. Cutting in from the right is fine, but you have to keep the defender guessing about which way you will go. And there is nothing quite like getting behind the defence to cause a pair of CBs to face the wrong way and the inevitable mistakes that follow. However, that criticism is true of others too. There are times when we play like we still have wing backs to supply width and the AMs attack diagonally. Under Sarri it is frequently the wide AMs that need to provide width or penetration.

Doesn't score enough goals. 

If we are playing with a midfield 3 who have few goals in them, we need all of our front 3 to contribute. 

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I am probably in a minority here but I think Willian gives us something that the others don't.

That happens when you get your ideas from watching games, not listening to the media or taking it from here.
Willian is one of a long proud line of great Chelsea players that fell out of fashion for bizarre reasons.  Early Drogba, Late Malouda, Mikel throughout, Pedro till lately, Alonso lately, Fabregas most of the time.

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That happens when you get your ideas from watching games, not listening to the media or taking it from here.
Willian is one of a long proud line of great Chelsea players that fell out of fashion for bizarre reasons.  Early Drogba, Late Malouda, Mikel throughout, Pedro till lately, Alonso lately, Fabregas most of the time.

I don't disagree with the above, but I still think Willian's goal return (5 league goals a season average) is not good enough. 2 in 20 this season........just not enough 

Sciatika   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Doesn't score enough goals. 

If we are playing with a midfield 3 who have few goals in them, we need all of our front 3 to contribute. 

True, but he has hit the woodwork 5 times this season. I know that if you hit the bar or post, it is off target, not on target, but he could easily have scored half of those and, at seven goals, would be well on the way to his best ever goal return (13 last season). The disappointment for me has been not getting better results from free kicks. None scored so far and quite a few not even close. :-(

33 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

True, but he has hit the woodwork 5 times this season. I know that if you hit the bar or post, it is off target, not on target, but he could easily have scored half of those and, at seven goals, would be well on the way to his best ever goal return (13 last season). The disappointment for me has been not getting better results from free kicks. None scored so far and quite a few not even close. :-(

Alonso a few times too - quite remarkable this season.
image.thumb.png.e567b3fcd23145f8a75ccc14d366396c.pnghttps://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/hit_woodwork?se=210
15 woodworks, 38 goals is quite remarkable.  Liverpool and Cit have at least scored 49 & 56.
Cardiff 9 posts and 19 goals is really odd.
But Palace - 12 posts and 19 goals is quite incredible.

image.thumb.png.4c675dcf513bb7cc3ae5c846b983b6b9.png

10 posts, 3 goals between them.

xCELERYx   
On 09/01/2019 at 0:52 AM, Sciatika said:

But he didn't and that's the problem with Willian. He isn't consistent in front of goal - or within the attacking third in general.

His Chelsea career in the PL reads;  27 goals, 23 assists, 11,617 minutes. Across 131 starts and 55 sub appearances.

His European record for us reads; 11 goals, 7 assists, 2745 minutes. Across 31 starts and 9 sub appearances. 

Pedro since he joined has the following in the PL; 26 goals, 14 assists,  6663 minutes. Across 78 starts and 34 sub appearances. 

Willian joined in 2013/14 and Pedro in 2015/16. 

To expand on that around the league.

Sterling across his time at Liverpool and Man City from 2013/14 onwards has; 56 goals, 38 assists, 13, 791 minutes. Across 156 starts and 27 sub appearances.

Mahrez since 2013/14; 44 goals, 29 assists, 11,883 minutes. Across 138 starts and 20 sub appearances.

Lingard since 2013/14 in the PL; 17 goals, 10 assists, 5848 minutes. Across 70 starts and 31 appearances. 

Willian just isn't good enough in front of goal to warrant being a regular attacking selection. Not when we require goals from our forward line.

jangz   

Sarri really has no plan B. His substitutions rarely change a game. Sometimes to change a game you need to change your style.. not a single game we have been chasing have we won. How we have no played Giroud & Morata together in even a single minute while on our way to losing drawing 6-7 PL games is beyond me. He cannot blame the players for not doing enough in the attacking third.. his tactics are sometimes ineffective.

1 hour ago, jangz said:

How we have no played Giroud & Morata together in even a single minute while on our way to losing drawing 6-7 PL games is beyond me.

Apart from the obvious - conceding much fewer, scoring more, more points, and going into "the bad moment" with the biggest squad in the league not the smallest - means we are doing all right.

Surely the best idea is to find ways of play neither Giroud or Morata, not both of them.