• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

Ham   
32 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Apart from the obvious - conceding much fewer, scoring more, more points, and going into "the bad moment" with the biggest squad in the league not the smallest - means we are doing all right.

Surely the best idea is to find ways of play neither Giroud or Morata, not both of them.

🤣

jangz   
46 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Apart from the obvious - conceding much fewer, scoring more, more points, and going into "the bad moment" with the biggest squad in the league not the smallest - means we are doing all right.

Surely the best idea is to find ways of play neither Giroud or Morata, not both of them.

We are doing as expected would by my assesment, on conceding fewer goals I would like to believe last season was not the normal standard expected from that squad. I believe we had options last year aswell which the manager constantly refused to play.

But having said I think the biggest room for improvement for us is on not being able to gather a response to going behind.

On Giroud and Morata - I am not fixated on the personal but at times a more direct approach would help when we are chasing. Ferguson used to send Vidic uptop , Mou used Fellaini, they were not better than Morata/Giroud.. point being change the approach if its not worked for 80/85 mins maybe its not going to work after 90 mins..

JaneB   
53 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

😂 X 2

Giroud isn't so bad though.

5 minutes ago, jangz said:

We are doing as expected would by my assesment, on conceding fewer goals I would like to believe last season was not the normal standard expected from that squad.

No we are really doing well.  On goals conceded (with out the extra defender) we are doing better than any of our last 3 championship seasons and better than any of the last 9 seasons except 13/14 (the year where JM sorted out our defence before winning the title next year).  It is 5 seasons since we last had a clean sheet against Man U.
This is not just a gently upgrade over last year, this is a big improvement - albeit Liverpool have stepped up more.

If (and I think it is true) we are work in progress, then Sarri is doing a great job with the basics in his first 6 months.  Deserves congratulating, not sniping at.

jangz   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

If (and I think it is true) we are work in progress, then Sarri is doing a great job with the basics in his first 6 months.  Deserves congratulating, not sniping at.

See are we are doing better than last year? Absolutely..but was last year a true reflection of the squad's potential ? I dont think so. I felt last year aswell we should have made top 4.. but that is not what I am trying to debate due to the subjectivity there..  Nor am  I trying to snipe at Sarri but pointing out the obvious fact that he doesnt really have a plan B and as we go deeper in the season and things get tighter we will struggle without a plan B.

On 12/01/2019 at 10:20 PM, Droy was my hero said:

No we are really doing well.  On goals conceded (with out the extra defender) we are doing better than any of our last 3 championship seasons and better than any of the last 9 seasons except 13/14 (the year where JM sorted out our defence before winning the title next year).  It is 5 seasons since we last had a clean sheet against Man U.
This is not just a gently upgrade over last year, this is a big improvement - albeit Liverpool have stepped up more.

Agreed. We are not free flowing yet but Sarri is right to prioritise the defence. On course for 81 points and 1 point off third place. Most predicted us 5th or 6th at the start of the season. Sarri took over a team playing a completely different style of play and had one summer with his best players not returning until 1 week before the season. Poch, Klopp and Guardiola have all had at least 2 years, Poch double and have their teams complete. Imagine where we would be if we had a striker that actually suited our system. 

4 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Agreed. We are not free flowing yet but Sarri is right to prioritise the defence. On course for 81 points and 1 point off third place. Most predicted us 5th or 6th at the start of the season. Sarri took over a team playing a completely different style of play and had one summer with his best players not returning until 1 week before the season. Poch, Klopp and Guardiola have all had at least 2 years, Poch double and have their teams complete. Imagine where we would be if we had a striker that actually suited our system. 

I agree. The football has admittedly been very frustrating to watch at times, but it has also been very good at times. There is a discussion on the Newcastle match thread about whether Sarri is already headed for the revolving door, which I find pretty crazy. This is a complete rebuild of the style of football we employ. He has slowly begun to fix the defensive issues and publicly identified the problems further up the pitch this weekend. I would expect that those will begin to become addressed over the course of the next 3 months. It would be unrealistic to expect those issues to be solved any quicker than that. I would be surprised if we do not end the window with one new striker option and one of Barella or Paredes. I am still hopeful that CHO will sign. If we can hang on to 4th, he will have done his job for this year. I do not expect us to win a trophy this year.

A return to the CL, a full summer and pre-season, 2 intelligent signings of key players and we are looking much healthier for next season.

Sea foot   

Too much common sense in those last two posts IMO.

1 hour ago, Sea foot said:

Too much common sense in those last two posts IMO.

Refreshing isn't it :))

paulw66   
7 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

An almost 16% improvement. Throw in a proper striker, and let's see what happens.