• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Instant reply (I was still in this thread!) ...

Those odds on top 4 look right; I just think it might take fewer points to get there than 81. I also don't see Arsenal repeating a 22-game unbeaten run, or United carrying on as they are. Saturday is a huge game; get a result there and we've got a real cushion.

On Arsenal yes of course, but Manure are looking threatening and I just don't feel we're solid yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'm not following; do you expect us to equal or better our points tally thus far in the remaining games?

We should improve - our squad is going to be more rested than even bottom half teams, while other top 6 teams will struggle.

 

27 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Instant reply (I was still in this thread!) ...

Those odds on top 4 look right; I just think it might take fewer points to get there than 81. I also don't see Arsenal repeating a 22-game unbeaten run, or United carrying on as they are. Saturday is a huge game; get a result there and we've got a real cushion.

I don't think any club has needed 81 points for 4th place.  79 is the highest in the last 10 years (and 5th place was 72). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We should improve - our squad is going to be more rested than even bottom half teams, while other top 6 teams will struggle. 

That is based on an assumption that there will be rotation, of which there's been little recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jangz   

None of the above changes the need for a plan B .. when we are chasing.. Sarri talks of mentality when chasing .. I think he also needs to have a plan B.. 

. we have been in losing positions 5 times this situation and have had one draw one win.. 

hmm ok midway through this post I decided to check stats on points recovered from losing positions  .. and I see spurs and city or even worse to us. While Liverpool arsenal and utd better than us .. .. 

but when you add draws to losing positions we are bottom.. (Will share details of someone is interested)

but I think to an extent it proves we struggle to change games.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

That is based on an assumption that there will be rotation, of which there's been little recently.

No - it is based on the assumption that if someone plays this season he is fully fit, which wasn't the case last season.
It is a much stronger argument.  

Also it is the case we have seen much more rotation in LC and FA cup and EL than last season - 9 or 10 players almost.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GURJ SS   

It's his first season and he is vastly changing our style, this is almost a 100% change in style. He's doing a fantastic job, Sarri believes in football played with keeping the ball and it's something we just have to accept. Previous managers have been slated for not keeping it and Sarri gets slated for keeping it. If you have the ball for as long as we do team will naturally sit deeper and more compact, the issue we have is that this squad doesn't have natural goal scorers and Sarri will need at least 2 to make things work. We are so close to being serious title challengers (we're still in it right now to be fair), give Sarri a 20 goal a season striker who is able to take a player on and he'll have us at the top of the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

It's his first season and he is vastly changing our style, this is almost a 100% change in style. He's doing a fantastic job, Sarri believes in football played with keeping the ball and it's something we just have to accept. Previous managers have been slated for not keeping it and Sarri gets slated for keeping it. If you have the ball for as long as we do team will naturally sit deeper and more compact, the issue we have is that this squad doesn't have natural goal scorers and Sarri will need at least 2 to make things work. We are so close to being serious title challengers (we're still in it right now to be fair), give Sarri a 20 goal a season striker who is able to take a player on and he'll have us at the top of the table.

I don’t think that’s the case we are at best 3rd we are not as good as city or the bin dippers and in my opinion he’s doing a ok job not fantastic I don’t know how the football is 100% change in style we have changed formation but the football is still boring 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GURJ SS   
4 hours ago, Aussie1979 said:

I don’t think that’s the case we are at best 3rd we are not as good as city or the bin dippers and in my opinion he’s doing a ok job not fantastic I don’t know how the football is 100% change in style we have changed formation but the football is still boring 

We're at best 3rd without a 20+ goal striker, if we had one we'd easily close the points gap, if that isn't the case then we might as well keep Giroud and Morata; what's the point in spending money on a goal scorer if it isn't going to make a difference, so Giroud and Morata are having a great season and everyone is brilliant but Sarri is holding them back?

If we're not as good as City or Pool then it's simply because of the players. We've got too many players who like to receive the ball rather than get on the end of it. Apart from Pedro and a little bit of Hazard and Morata no one has the mentality (playing style) to make runs beyond an opposition defence and get on the end of a cross, through ball or long ball; Pedro scored from Luiz's ball but no one else on the pitch would have been able to because they simply can't see the space to make the run - Kante is learning to do it but it'll take time.

Sarri in his first season is being compared to the likes of Pep and Klopp, both have made major changes to their team's style and personnel. It didn't start working out for them until their 2nd season, it still hasn't worked out for Klopp unless he bags the title. One has chased every great player there is to get silverware and one is still spending like mad and hasn't won anything, yet Sarri 10 points behind the top and 6 points behind 2nd place in his first season is failing!?

The style has 100% changed, the ability of the players to implement a different system is where the flaw is, that's a flaw in the players; watch a few of Sarri's Napoli games and it'll become very clear that our players aren't the best for the system; because they like to receive the ball rather than make a run everyone is static; Conte had them sitting back and countering for a reason because they quickly run out of invention and ideas. It's easy to say the manager should adjust to the players he has, but tell Pep and Klopp the same, if us fans want to see our team at the top of the league then we should also accept we need better players; shouldn't every fan want the best players possible instead of blaming the manager all the time?

Edit: What's the fascination with exciting fast pace football? Next we'll be calling Sarri to get sacked and replaced with 'one of our own' who spent most of his time on the bench but is now a legend...we'll end up with Jokanovic. I'd rather us play football with game management instead of running at 100mph and burning out towards the end of the season - all we need is 2-3 more 'outside of the box thinking' players and a 20+ goal striker.

Edited by GURJ SS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In sorry but you must be watching a different Chelsea to me it . The style hasn’t changed a lot for me and I would love a world class striker but I just don’t rate Sarri as highly as you he doesn’t know how to change the game it’s his way and that’s it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
14 minutes ago, Aussie1979 said:

In sorry but you must be watching a different Chelsea to me it . The style hasn’t changed a lot for me and I would love a world class striker but I just don’t rate Sarri as highly as you he doesn’t know how to change the game it’s his way and that’s it 

That's just absurd. The style has changed beyond recognition. Just take a look at the possession, passes, length of passes, the formation. It is chalk and cheese. 

If you want to debate the success of said styles, or whether or not you like it, then that is a different conversation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now