• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

.But we are nearer CL qualification. 

I would keep those comment until CL qualification is assured. 

Its a funny old game

xCELERYx   
11 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Emerson isn't the same player he was, we got an injured player on the cheap that isn't the same as before his injury. Pre injury Emerson starts ahead of Alonso, post injury Emerson needs a lot of training and game time to get near his best, something we can't afford to give him.

Emerson missed virtually the entire 2017/18 season out injured. He's played 292 PL minutes since he joined and a bunch of cup games against largely inferior sides with the "B team". If he's to recapture his form prior to injury he needs games and there's utterly no excuse for why he's been so heavily underused this season. He has 13 minutes in the PL this season, that's utterly pathetic when you consider how subpar Alonso has been for much of the season to date.

Don't give me this height excuse you mentioned earlier about why Alonso can't be dropped. That's essentially saying that Alonso will remain first choice until we sign another LB that is 6ft 2 or taller. 

Please.

xCELERYx   

Sarri should maybe take some notes about the benefit of rotation.

Napoli defender Raul Albiol credited Carlo Ancelotti with squad rotation for ensuring they were “ready when called upon” against Lazio.

They were missing Kalidou Koulibaly, Lorenzo Insigne, Allan and Marek Hamsik, but still won 2-1.

“We knew it would be difficult with our first Serie A game after a long winter break, but we got the win,” Albiol told Sky Sport Italia.

“It’s an important victory because since the start of the season, the Coach has put his faith in all the players and it showed tonight. Many who hadn’t played as much were still ready when called upon and that is crucial.”

It’s a very different approach to the one taken by predecessor Maurizio Sarri, who barely ever used those outside of his limited circle.

Napoli break further away from Inter in second place and await Juve’s result against bottom of the table Chievo on Monday.

“We have to stay on our path, keep working and stay close to Juventus. We know they are on a remarkable march, but all we can do is win our games, wait and see.”

Couple of interesting articles in today's Guardian regarding our gallant leader and players' attitudes, as well as the club as a whole:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/20/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-arsenal-straight-talker

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/20/chelsea-maurizio-sarri-mess-tactics-transfer-policy

jangz   
17 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

When Kante does what he's told and breaks into the area he gets some success, he has the best mins/goals ratio he has ever had in his whole career, that's a forward step. Yesterday Kante did nothing he was told compared to the games he has scored in, he is far too rigid and Sarri expects him to expand his game; as a fan I expect him to expand his game. Kante is an extremely limited player, now I'm not saying he's a bad player, but extremely limited.

1) On Kante ----

I dont know if you have an agenda against Kante but this is true about every player. How will Jorginho perform as an AM/CM ? We already saw how our best attacking player performed in a different false 9 role. For anyone who has seen Kante the biggest attribute he has is his reading of play and hence his ability to break up and intercept paly and you say he has no football brain. 

The part about him giving a pass to the nearest player is not because he can't otherwise its a clear instruction from Sarri where he needs to be ahead of the ball. make runs into space. His best position is CM but I think he will be more suited in "Adapting" to a deeper role than his current role. He is one of the world's best player who would improve any team and Sarri should change his tactic to accommodate Kante.  

2)On Alonso---

your argument that alonso can't be dropped because of his height is absurd because of two reasons. A he is a FB the amount of times we require his height in open play is really low. Second a lot of the times we are going zonal which means he is marking space beside how many goals has he scored with his head?

Alonso has been suspect positionally and does not have the pace to recover or hold the ball, its not rocket science why most our attacks come from that side. In sarri's current system the winger closes down the FB the striker occupies the furthest CB and the one in possession is closed down by  a midfield player. In the attacks on our left that has meant that Alonso has to make a decision in which either he is supposed to position himself so the ball doesnot reach the opposition forward or mark him out. Currently he is doing none - exposing Luiz who has then been making rash challenges (remember goals against Utd, Spurs, Arsenal ) etc..

Finally all of this can be forgotten but in a team where we dont have the height and crosses from deep wont work he needs to overlap and contribute more effectively in the offensive phase which again he isn't able to do.

3) On Sarri-

When Chelsea signed Sarri ofcourse we understand that he brings with him a certain style but at the same time the club would expect coaches to adapt that and constantly improve to get results. Pep's city is compeltely different from Pep's Barca and Bayern - he has changed his style slightly to adapt to the league.

The frustration with Sarri is his inflexible approach - chelsea have given him his big chance and by doing this he is blowing it. Even minor tweaks might improve results but Sarri is not making the required changes. The best coaches have a philosophy but also change based on match situation. Fergie used to send his CB's uptop in the last 10 mins when they were changing. A loss is a loss but you need to take risks.

For me Sarri's however promising the start was seems to be operating in a very rigid manner. We cannot afford another doomed regime and that is the reason why so much frustration with Sarri  not the other way around.

• Like 1

Leo91   

There's being rigid and trusting your philosophy and there's being stubborn. From what we know Giroud is over his knock so why isn't he playing with Hazard back on the left. That's how we started the season, it featured the best football we have played in the whole season and the closest to Sarri ball. Since he's changed it, we've been at our worst in the whole season. So what gives ? Come on Sarri, you have the fans backing but if you keep on making stupid decisions it's not going to last. 

Ham   

@Mark Kelly

There was you trying to belittle the boss for allegedly predictably making the Kovacic/Barkley substitution at 65 minutes every week......

In the 17 times they've swapped places this season so far, it's only happened once on exactly 65 minutes.

Egg on your face Kelly!

5c46435a51d88_Screenshot_20190121-220534_DailyMailOnline.thumb.jpg.dc5a91ba4a8d90f6aec470c49b014baa.jpg

1 minute ago, Ham said:

In the 17 times they've swapped places this season so far, it's only happened once on exactly 65 minutes.

I'm sure he wanted to, but he was too busy writing up his notes.

Kezza   

Sarri's consistency in his line up and substitution is worrying. Too much of everything is worrying. Rotate too much and get accused of not knowing your best team. No rotation is equally bad. Any stats on his Napoli player appearance etc.? Been said the pattern is similar with no rotation as well. I always am amazed how Pep managed to give all his attackers almost equal minutes and appearances. Considering the number of first team players vying for the 3 to 4 positions.

GURJ SS   
On 1/20/2019 at 7:04 PM, PeteRobbo said:

Re: 1) Why not?

Re: 2) As I've said elsewhere, we need to play to the strengths of our players, not hold them back because they don't fit  the mould. We've paid for that I the past.

Re 3) I don't know what this means, the emboldened bit I mean.

CHO can't start against a team like Arsenal because our club would blame the result on that and the manager will be put under pressure, and so would our fans, they switch sides as quick as our players switch off when a challenge presents itself.

We can't. If we play them to their strengths we'll have even more holes. Dave and Luiz are better in a back 3, Kante would need someone alongside him who knows how to play a long ball into a striker that doesn't exist at the club anymore (Costa). That style is gone.

We've got too many egos to see a kid played ahead of a senior and the manager not get stick off the players.