• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Chelsea Appoint Maurizio Sarri as Head Coach

7 hours ago, James Prescott said:

I've heard a rumour that Steve Holland will be interim coach and JT as assistant if Sarri is sacked, which will be after Sunday if we lose. Just a rumour though.

Surely noone at the club will be expecting us to win on Sunday? 

A decent performance is about all I'm hoping for.

If it's another humiliation I can't see us sticking with him.

7 hours ago, James Prescott said:

I've heard a rumour that Steve Holland will be interim coach and JT as assistant if Sarri is sacked, which will be after Sunday if we lose. Just a rumour though.

7 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Surely noone at the club will be expecting us to win on Sunday? 

This whole "if he loses" thing is a red herring anyway.  Clubs don't make decisions on one game, though they do wait till a tough run is over before bringing in the new man.  
We all remember the "Grant will be sacked if he loses the CL final" story.  CA had been fixed up months in advance it turns out.

United, Malmo, City, Spurs, Fulham and half a dozen or so easier games - all at 2 a week till mid March.
It will be very hard for any manager to take over before the mid-March break unless it is Zola, and he ain't well.
If anyone does arrive before the only opportunity is between Spurs (Wednesday) and Fulham (Sunday).  Not much time to teach the defenders to play in a 5, Kante to learn DM and find a place to squeeze in CHO.

Personally , with the news today I expect Sarri is here for next season regardless , I cannot see another rated coach wanting to take over a club like ours with no purchasing ability . 

Unless of course the club have already made up their mind to off him at the end of the season and have already sounded out the new guy and the players he wants to bring in just in case we get get the ban pushed back for a window.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Kelly said:

Personally , with the news today I expect Sarri is here for next season regardless , I cannot see another rated coach wanting to take over a club like ours with no purchasing ability . 

Unless of course the club have already made up their mind to off him at the end of the season and have already sounded out the new guy and the players he wants to bring in just in case we get get the ban pushed back for a window.

Sitting on a cruise ship mid Caribbean sea your thoughts matched mine to a T.

chara   

Should the ban stand then there is no way that Sarri can get players to "match" his system.

IF he stays then he would have to actually "coach" the players at his disposal.

I believe he has little allround coaching skills so surely,again if the ban stands, a young something to prove coach could find it a real proving ground.

Just thoughts.

chara   
22 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Based on what, exactly? 

Well..I purposely wrote I believe in the sense it was my impression rather than a statement of fact..sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Based on the same information most of us are exposed to about his past record it looks as if he has little deep coaching experience at a top level. His Napoli time appears to have been a system that worked for a while but he was still out of a job basically when Chelsea hired him.

I see no improvement of younger players that can be laid at his door and inflexibility seems to be well set in with him.

My main point was how a ban would not help the argument to keep him and get him players that suit his system and a young coach would have to coach what he has at his disposal.

Sorry..I have little confidence in Sarri on a long term regardless of what players he has to pick from.

I wanted him to succeed but it looked a long time back..to me that is...that he is a limited coach. Not a band wagon thing as I voiced concern albeit mild way back in the season.

Just my thoughts and not a basis for disagreement with anyone

chara   

PS Michael.... I have played at a reasonable level and coached at a level way above park football.Watched Chelsea and football for a long long time so I do believe I have a grasp of the game and although that doesn't make me right every time I think my viewpoints have some validity.

17 minutes ago, chara said:

but he was still out of a job basically when Chelsea hired him.

Well no - technically he was kept on by Napoli and not released when CA arrived.
But in practice it is clear he had asked to move to Chelsea, we had asked for him, and it was all being held up.
Meanwhile we had a similar situation with Conte who clearly had wanted to leave all season, and clearly we were going to make it extremely difficult to welsh on the contract he had just signed for a lot more money.

Sarri would have been very much in demand if we hadn't bagsied him first.  And for a while Napoli were asking for a separate fee for Sarri, though eventually it seems to have been one package with Jorginho.

kev61   
15 minutes ago, chara said:

PS Michael.... I have played at a reasonable level and coached at a level way above park football.Watched Chelsea and football for a long long time so I do believe I have a grasp of the game and although that doesn't make me right every time I think my viewpoints have some validity.

Don't worry about it mate,I reckon Michael is in a bad mood and knows how bad Sarri is - and as for playing the game at any level I would suggest you just bite your tongue.There are arm chair experts  here that have played the game at every level...in their own head!.