• Current Donation Goals

Sir

Official: Maurizio Sarri Joins Juve After 1 Season

2 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I'm not sure what people want or expect to be happening. Wasn't it general consensus before the season started we weren't going to challenge for the league. Look where we are, with 5 games left we're mixing it with Spurs, Utd and Arsenal for top 4. Exactly where we should be. 

Yeah I understand where you are coming from before the season started I would of excepted this  top four if the football was entertaining and I could see us challenging  next year but in my opion we have played poorly this year and under Sarri I can’t see us  ever winning the title so  it’s a step backwards not forward 

51 minutes ago, Aussie1979 said:

Well I hope We would get what your asking for  points wise but going on are away performances against the top teams so far  this season have been awful so I honestly can’t see us picking up points against Liverpool or utd  so I’m expecting 70 points 73 max we have only beat  1 team in the top 12 Watford away do your confidence in getting 76 is a stretch 

39 minutes ago, Aussie1979 said:

Yeah I understand where you are coming from before the season started I would of excepted this  top four if the football was entertaining and I could see us challenging  next year but in my opion we have played poorly this year and under Sarri I can’t see us  ever winning the title so  it’s a step backwards not forward 

OK 2 of the games remaining are tough, but the two home games aren't - I see we are 1/4 on for the Burnley game.  

For me large chunks of the season have been entertaining.  The first 15 or so games were entertaining.  The West Ham and Brighton games recently were entertaining.  The City win away and both semifinal games were highly entertaining - albeit it in the sense of two top teams fighting over every inch- and great results.  

I think the team turned ageing with little upside back in January 2018 with the last of the pointless signings.  Where we are now from where we were then is a huge advance forward.  Where we might be with Pulisic and a few more is exciting.

Spurs' season is about to collapse, Man U's is collapsing now.  And it is up to us to do the same to Liverpool - a result there and Sarri is a hero.

11 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I think we have to judge Sarri on points, and on points relative to what the squad is realisitically able to achieve. My position all season is that we will either make it or miss out by a few points, so in that sense I think you have to say any manager here has done a satisfactory job if they get 70-75 points. I think we will (72 or 73 for me). That would be a very slight, almost to the point of negligible improvement on last year in absolute terms, and I think a slightly more impressive tally given the current shape of the squad.

What 72 or 73 points is going to get you this year is a really tough call. Only a month left of the season and it's anyone's guess. Can't remember a season like it.

Regardless of what I think should or should not happen, I'm fairly confident he will not get the sack. That's not who we can afford to be right now.

I think we will do slightly better, ending up at 76 or 77. With that I have a hard time seeing us missing out on a top four. 

But it’ll be close for sure and we won’t win comfortably with the five games remaining - neither of them. 

Edit: oh and I also think the club would be mad to sack Sarri now regardless of where we end up. 

Edited by The_Ghost

11 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Unfortunately he’s been building teams for twenty years and won nothing. 

If he fails to get into the top 4 or win the el. Keeping him for another season would be a change of philosophy by the club. It would also mean he would need to hit the ground running next season with regards to style and applicaton. 

Personally I do not believe the crowd would be so patient If the team continued to produce lethargic games against lower opposition. 

The club needs a change of philosophy at the moment. I have got no problems with a change of philosophy from the club - in fact, I would take a change of the board as well! 

But seriously, a season to assess a squad and then begin building properly is really not that unreasonable IMO. Even if it is a season out of the top 4 and without winning the Europa league. 

If Pochettino remains trophyless this year, should Spurs sack him? If Emery continues on course but doesn’t finish top 4 or win the Europa league, should Arsenal sack him? If Klopp doesn’t win the league, sack him too?

My point is, there is another marker of success these days other than silverware. Progress can be measurable without silverware. Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs are clearly stepping in the right direction this season.

For Sarri, the progress this year has to be Carling Cup final, challenging for top 4 and Europa League right to the very end, successfully blooding the likes of RLC and CHO into the squad, and attempting (while having difficulty doing so) to introduce a new footballing philosophy at the club.

As for the supporters, I mean we hated Grant, Scolari, Andre Villas-Boas, Benitez, Mourinho towards the end, Conte and now Sarri. I am not convinced anyone takes the fan base that seriously anymore nowadays.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The club needs a change of philosophy at the moment. I have got no problems with a change of philosophy from the club - in fact, I would take a change of the board as well! 

But seriously, a season to assess a squad and then begin building properly is really not that unreasonable IMO. Even if it is a season out of the top 4 and without winning the Europa league. 

If Pochettino remains trophyless this year, should Spurs sack him? If Emery continues on course but doesn’t finish top 4 or win the Europa league, should Arsenal sack him? If Klopp doesn’t win the league, sack him too?

My point is, there is another marker of success these days other than silverware. Progress can be measurable without silverware. Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs are clearly stepping in the right direction this season.

For Sarri, the progress this year has to be Carling Cup final, challenging for top 4 and Europa League right to the very end, successfully blooding the likes of RLC and CHO into the squad, and attempting (while having difficulty doing so) to introduce a new footballing philosophy at the club.

As for the supporters, I mean we hated Grant, Scolari, Andre Villas-Boas, Benitez, Mourinho towards the end, Conte and now Sarri. I am not convinced anyone takes the fan base that seriously anymore nowadays.

Pochettino is a bit of a enigma. Seems only the uk press and spuds fans hype him. Not being considered for two plumb jobs in recent months says it all. 

Emery won 3 el on the bounce and has improved the Arse “unfortunately”

klopp is klopp and I do not give a dam about him. So far he has choked everytime he nears the finish line.

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

23 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Thankyou.  I find that most reassuring.

4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Best post I have read on here in a long time. 

Sums up more or less everything I have been all season and I agree with pretty much every word.

8 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

klopp is klopp and I do not give a dam about him. So far he has choked everytime he nears the finish line.

Not with Dortmund he didn't. Back-to-back Bundesliga titles wasn't it?

Kezza   
9 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Pochettino is a bit of a enigma. Seems only the uk press and spuds fans hype him. Not being considered for two plumb jobs in recent months says it all. 

Emery won 3 el on the bounce and has improved the Arse “unfortunately”

Who's the best candidate to take over Sarri then you think? Yourself? 

My opinion has swung like a pendulum this season and I cannot for the life of me really get to grips with whether when we play well it's the players of when we play poorly its Sarri .

I still think if he manages to get us into the Champions league he's done very well indeed.